Search for content in message boards

Bairds of Watauga County or Avery Co., NC

Replies: 2

Re: Bairds of Watauga County or Avery Co., NC

Posted: 28 May 2012 5:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 May 2012 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: Baird Sudderth Holden
I see that this was posted in 2001, hopefully it will help.
Mitchell Baird was married to my mother, Evelyn Sudderth, who grew up in Montezuma community in Avery County. She passed away in 2004. I have some info about him: Mitchell Anderson Baird, born Jan. 28, 1920, died Aug. 5, 1944. His parents were John Stanley Baird and Zenia Ellen Triplett. Paternal grandparents were Ebenezer Baird and Mary Emaline Wilson. He grew up in the Matney community, which is in Watauga County and located between Banner Elk and Valle Crucis. She told me that he was in the Army during WWII. They were married just before he shipped out. They did not have any children. He was a tank crewman and participated in the D-Day invasion (June 1944). Shortly thereafter, she received a telegram stating that he was missing in action. Several weeks later, she got the telegram changing the status to KIA.
Most of her papers have been lost, but I remember that she kept those telegrams for the rest of her life. I copied the info about Mitchell from her Bible, where she kept genealogical information.
In 1945, She met and married my father, Carl Holden. They had 5 children, of which I am the youngest.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lambypie25 18 Nov 2001 1:56AM GMT 
joannbadstibn... 19 Nov 2003 11:06PM GMT 
KevinHolden28... 28 May 2012 11:09AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions