The Ft Wayne News Sentinel, 1:2, on 15 Mar 1933, reads:
CHILD DIES OF SCALDS: Betty Jean Bakalar, aged 2, Succumbs At Hospital Of Injuries Suffered At Residence Here Saturday.
Scalds received Saturday when she fell into a bucket of boiling water caused the death at 5:40am today at Lutheran Hospital of Betty Jean Bakalar, 2-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bakalar, 933 High Street. The mishap occurred at the parents home Saturday about 11am.
Mrs. Bakalar had placed a bucket of hot water on the floor of the kitchen while doing her housework, and the little girl tripped over a toy and fell backward against the bucket. The bucket upset and the boiling water burned the child severely about the back, sides, legs, and on a portion of her arms, according to Dr. Walter E Kruse, deputy county coroner, who investigated the case. The child had been a patient at the hospital since Saturday.
A verdict of accidental death was returned by Dr. Kruse. Surviving besides the parents are four sisters and three brothers. The body was removed to the Wellman Funeral Home. Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 o'clock at the residence, with the Rev. Fred Wambsganes? of ?. Burial will be in Concordia Cemetery.