Search for content in message boards

Balentine, Giles County, TN - slave records

Replies: 5

Balentine, Giles County, TN - slave records

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 4:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Balentine
I am researching my heritage of the Balentine line. I have found 3 Balentines in question who were prominent men. Normally prominent men kept diaries or journals of their slaves.
Andrew M. Balentine - father immigrated from Ireland.
William F. Balentine - son of Andrew M.
Andrew J. Balentine - son of Andrew M.

These are the only Balentines I've been able to find who had slave schedules in the Giles County area.

My great-great grandfather, George Balentine (born 1875 or so), was born in Giles County, TN. According to his death certificate his parents were Sterling and Jane Balentine.

George later moved to Limestone County, Alabama. I've found him on a 1900 census, but this is the earliest census I've been able to find him on.

I have not been able to find an earlier census for Sterling and Jane to be for sure that I have the right people. One census(1880) has a Sterling married to a Rose, but no mention of George.

If any Balentines are connected to Andrew M., William F., and Andrew J. I'd like to see what history you may have been able to find about the slaves they owned. Or if you have a way that might be able to connect me to such information, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thank-you for your time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jayceemiller 19 Apr 2011 10:58PM GMT 
mcsharif 29 Jul 2013 10:35PM GMT 
jayceemiller 9 Aug 2013 4:58AM GMT 
mcsharif 13 Aug 2013 6:12AM GMT 
rclindsay3629 8 Dec 2013 6:17PM GMT 
jayceemiller 9 Dec 2013 10:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic