Search for content in message boards

Absolum Barrow

Replies: 17

John and Richmond Barrow

S.D.Marsh (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2000 2:52PM GMT
Mary:

Richmond was one of my g2grandfathers. My grandfather and his father were named after Richmond's father and Martha's father: John Jesse Barrow, Sr and Jr. Richmond was probably named after a neighbor of Reuben Barrow of Warren/Pulaski Co, GA that we believe is his grandmother's (Milbre) brother. I have all of Richmond's children's full names from the Family Bible and interviewing my grandfather. No where in any of the subsequent generations has the name Jasper ever appeared. I have not in all the years I've been researching the Barrow family seen the name Jasper in any official records in Escambia, Santa Rosa, or Walton Co. When according to your records did he come to Florida, and to what part? In fact the only Barrow listed in the Land Claims for Escambia or Jackson Co. in 1824 was John Barrow in Escambia Co. In 1829 he died according to the estate notice in the Pensacola newspaper. A year later in 1830 the Barrows in Florida were Joseph in Leon Co, Benjamin in Jefferson Co, Benjamin in Escambia Co, Reuben N. in Escambia Co. and Elizabeth in Walton Co. Elizabeth has 3 males and 1 female in her household other than herself, one the right age to be Richmond. Reuben also has a young man in his household the right age for Richmond, but Reuben too young to be the boys father so he must be a brother, brother-in-law or hired help. In 1840, Richmond has an older woman in his household that is the right age to be Elizabeth.

John Barrow, according to Oak Grove historical lore, started the ferry and built the grist mill in Oak Grove. The last person to run that grist mill was my grandfather, who inherited it from his father.

I would agree that most of the Barrows in south Alabama and NW Florida are related somehow. Many are probably descendents of John and Absolum. Some are descendents of the men who were probably their cousins. I have spent a great deal of time with the circumstantial evidence surrounding John and Elizabeth Barrow and even more time combing through the records from that part of the state. We had a professional genealogist research the family in the 70s who came up with the same conclusions.

There is a Green Barrow in Escambia Co in 1840 and 1845. There is an Archibald in Jackson Co. in 1840 and 1845 and one in Calhoun Co. in 1860. There is a younger Richmond in the southern and eastern part of Walton Co. He was born about 1840 in FL and is the son of Reuben N Barrow according to the 1860 census. There isn't a William in either Escambia or Santa Rosa or Walton Co. in the early part of Florida's history according to census records. There is a William G. and a William in Jackson Co in 1860.

I have seen several family trees connecting the various Barrows in the panhandle in early Florida history. They appear to be based on the premise that if you had the same surname, were about the same age (and sometimes not) and lived anywhere in the panhandle you had to be siblings. At that time there was almost no roads connecting Pensacola to Tallahassee to Jacksonville. There were better roads going west than across the panhandle. The railroad did not come across the panhandle until after the Civil War. Although it is possible that one of John's or Absalom's sons went east, rather than west, that would certainly fly in the face of the norm at that time. It would seem much more likely that Barrow men in Jackson and Calhoun Co. descended from the Barrows that were there early (see above, Joseph from Leon and Benjamin from Jefferson) or from those in GA.

If you would like to see my line, you can visit my website. The address is http://members.xoom.com/roadshome. I would be glad to review any documentation you have on your information. Until I see something pretty substantial as far as proof, I will have to respectfully disagree.

Sharon

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Barrow Bond 20 Apr 2000 12:30PM GMT 
S.D.Marsh 20 Apr 2000 8:52PM GMT 
telegirl 6 May 2001 6:17AM GMT 
S.D. Marsh 6 May 2001 1:15PM GMT 
Mary Barrow Bond 28 Mar 2000 9:46AM GMT 
virginiafryfo... 10 Mar 2010 5:58PM GMT 
virginiafryfo... 10 Mar 2010 5:58PM GMT 
FayeReynolds2... 25 Jan 2010 5:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions