Search for content in message boards

Some Early KY William BARTLETT records: Nicholas Co.

Replies: 4

Re: Some Early KY William BARTLETT records: Nicholas Co.

Sandra Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2006 8:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Joanna,

I'm not sure what this county is:

From the bible of Mrs. Elizabeth Hildreth (Fristoe) REED, and now in the possession of her son, Mr. Charles Franklin REED of Maysville, KY.

Robert FRISTOE b. April 4, 1801 d. June 16, 1873
married May 11, 1824 to:
Lucinda BARTLETT b. Nov. 30, 1807 d. Nov 15, 1867

Joanna, all of the following BARTLETTs were listed on the first 10 pages of the book.

Franklin County, KY Court Record
(Formed from Woodford, Mercer and Shelby Counties, 1794)

Deed Book k-page 168, May 22, 1822
Lewis Craig & John Sanders executed deed to Henry BARTLETT, Jr, Thomas BARTLETT and James Wood of Fayette Co., 1791, for 408 acres in Woodford Co.
Henry BARTLETT died without issue
'his father, Major Harry BARTLETT (also called Henry) became his heir, and died intestae leaving the following persons his children and heirs at law;
Thomas BARTLETT
Elizabethe BARTLETT, wife of Josiah Gale
Phoebe BARTLETT, wife of James Sanders,
Polly Bartlett, wife of Thomas Hickman
Sally BARTLETT, wife of James Banks
Frances BARTLETT, wife of Wesley Hardin
(deceased daughter Ann Alsop)
Maj. Harry BARTLETT of Spotsylvania Co., VA, married ca 1752, Sarah Crane, daug. of Col. John & Elizabeth Crane of Spotsylvania, VA. Major Harry & Mrs. Sarah BARTLETT died in Franklin Co., KY before May 22, 1822.
*Note: Consult the will of Henry BARTLETT, Jr recorded in Fayette Co., KY
Ann BARTLETT, born in VA, 1768; married in Caroline Co., VA on March 1786 to George Alsop, b. 1763. They removed to Franklin Co., KY in 1815
*note: the 14 Alsop children are listed
FAYETTE CO., KY Court Record
(formed from Kentucky County in 1780)

Will of Henry BARTLETT of Fayette Co., KY, dated July 25, 1792:

I lend to my brother, John Crane BARTLETT, my three negroes; Jenny, Gabriel & Delphenny, during my father, Harry BARTLETT's and my mother Sarah's life, and all the rest of my estate be it of whatever kind, and the proceeds arisisnf from my said estate lent my brother, John Crane BARTLETT, during my father and mother's life to be disposed of as they think proper. After the death of my said mother and father, that my whole estate be divided equally with the increase of said negroes aforesaid, between my brother, John Crane BARTLETT and my five sisters: Elizabeth, Phebe, Polly, Sally and Franky.

Lastly I appoint my brother Thomas BARTLETT and William Wood, executers.
*Note: William Wood married Ann Crane, sister of Sarah Crane, mother of Henry BARTLETT.

NICHOLAS CO., KY
(Formed from Bourbon and Mason Counties in 1793)

Deed Book B-page 31, January 4, 1802
Nicholas BARTLETT purchases 1,200 acres of land in Nicholas County from Humphrey Marshall.
Deed Book 4., page 402, 1816
Phoebe Bichanan sell land in Nicholas Co., KY to William BARTLETT
Deed Book H, page 368, 1822- BARTLETT heirs agreement)

Joseph BARTLETT, James Wilson (wife Dorcas BARTLETT),
Polly BARTLETT, wife of Ashford Prather, Nancy BARTLETT, wife of James Buchanan,Phebe BARTLETT, wife of Benoni Duncan, Betsy BARTLETT, wife of George Swarts, Samuel BARTLETT, children & heirs of William BARTLETT, deceased, late of the county of Nicholas, KY, of the first part and Ebenezer BARTLETT, of Flemeing Co., KY, of the second part.

WHEREAS, the said William BARTLETT, deceased, departed this life having first made a will, and he left said Joseph BARTLETT, Dorcas Wilson, Polly Prather, Nancy Buchanan, Phebe Duncan, Betsy Swarts, Samuel BARTLETT, and the said Ebenezer BARTLETT and also William BARTLETT and Ann Foster who was Ann BARTLETT (the latter two of whom have departed this life) his children and heirs and legal reprsentation. That the said William BARTLETT, last named, left two children, who are now living and entitled to his portion of the estate of his deceased father. That the said Anna Foster, also left seven children, who are now living and entitled to their mother's portion of her father's estate. And WHEREAS, also the widow of the said William BARTLETT first named, to wit: Phebe BARTLETT, is entitled to one-third part of the estate of the said William BARTLETT, deceased, and the said Ebenezer BARTLETT has purchased out her interest in the said estate ......she has become disatisfied with the contract and wishes and is attempting to set aside the said Contract that the said Ebenezer BARTLETT agrees to give the said Phebe BARTLETT, one thousand dollars for her interest in the said estate, and the parties of these presents have agreed and now agree that they will not take under the will of the said William BARTLETT, their ancestor, but that they will take as his heirs and distribute according to theStatute of Distribution, each one an equal share and part of the estate, real, personal and mixed, in the same manner as if the said William BARTLETT. intestator, that the parties of the first pare and shall be equally interested with the said Ebenezer BARTLETT in the purchase of the interest of the aforsaid Phebe BARTLETT, in and to the estate as aforesaid ....................The said Joseph BARTLETT has now sold out his entire interest in the said estate to Ebenezer BARTLETT, whereby Ebenezer is entitled to two parts thereof......." (Written in the margin of the Contract is: "September 30, 1829 to Ebenezer BARTLETT".

Ebenezer BARTLETT our Attorney in Fact to compromise with the said Phebe BARTLETT in relation to the Contract made with her by him for her interest in the estate of aforesaid on the best terms he can and if he shall pay or agree to pay her any other, or further sum of money, the parties of the first part agree to pay the said Ebenezer BARTLETT one-tenth part each, and the parties empower said Ebenezer BARTLETT.............................."

---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Ebenezer BARTLETT-died in Hancock County, Illinois on December 2, 1843; married before January 10, 1799, Rebecca STANDIFORD (born Baltimore County, Maryland on July 27, 1782, died in Hancock County, Illinois, 1845) The will of Ebenezer BARTLETT is recorded in Will Book G, pages 6,7,8, Carthage, Hancock County, Illinois. Dated October 30, 1843; proven December Court, 1843. Witnesses: William Darnell and Nathan H. Grafton.
2. Samuel BARTLETT
3. Dorcas BARTLETT md. James Wilson
4. Ann BARTLETT (deceased by 1822) md. Harrison Foster and "left 7 children," namely Polly, William, Aaron, Harrison, Phoebe, Lettice and Dorcas Foster.
5. Polly BARTLETT married Ashford Prather, 1810
6. Nancy BARTLETT married James Buchanan, 1815
7. Phoebe BARTLETT (Marriage Bond reads "Feaby") md. Benoni Duncan in Adams County, Ohio, November 21, 1811
8. William BARTLETT jr. (deceased by 1822) married Rachel Hildreth in Adama County, Ohio on August 16, 1815. Je left "two children" one of whom as Squire BARTLETT for whom Robert L. G. Edwards (md. Susan Hildreth in 1824) was serving as his guardian in 1828.
9. Betsy BARTLETT md. George Swarts on September 30, 1819
10. Joseph BARTLETT (under age in 1803 when a suit was filed by his father, William BARTLETT, Senior).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
June Court, 1822 (Circuit Clerk's Office, Nicholas County, Kentucky) a suit was filed "Phebe BARTLETT, widow and relict of William BARTLETT, Senior, deceased, vs. Ebenezer BARTLETT, admr. of estate of deceased."

Joanna, there is more regarding the suit which was eventually dismissed with Phoebe BARTLETT ordered to pay all court costs.

Children of Ebenezer BARTLETT and Rebecca Standiford (not arranged according to dates of birth)

1. Eliza BARTLETT md. Joseph McCabe, 1826
2. Franklin J. BARTLETT
3. Elizabeth BARTLETT md. 3-14-1822 to Adrilla Hildreth (Killed 1-27-1864 while serving in the war between the States. He was a member of Company K, 118th Illinois Infantry)
4. Sarah BARTLETT md. ............... Lapham
5. Lucinda BARTLETT, b. 11-30-1807; d. Mason County on 11-15-1867; md. 5-11-1824, Robert Fristoe (b. 4-4-1801) died Mason County on 6-16-1873
6. Mary Jane BARTLETT md. James Legrande Sanford (1819-1889)
7. Silas BARTLETT md. Barbara McDaniel in Mason County, 1837
8. Sally Ann BARTLETT md. .........Creander
9. Henry J. BARTLETT, born 3-7-1818
10. Malinda BARTLETT, b. 11-12-1820; d. 11-1903; md. 12-13-1838, her 1st cousin, William Preston Duncan (b. 9-27-1815). Married 2nd. Elias Bower 3-4-1851. Lived La Harpe, Illinois

Joanna, let me know if any of this helps you. I noticed the Illinois connection in the above & considering that this stuff dates back to the late 1700's & early 1800's, there's a good chance that there's some connection. I also noticed the couple of marriages that occurred in Ohio. That makes a nice little triangle of area (KY, Ill & OH) in which this BARTLETT family lived.

Sandy Lewis

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sandra Lewis 25 Sep 2006 2:22PM GMT 
Joanna Wilson 27 Sep 2006 12:51AM GMT 
Sandra Lewis 27 Sep 2006 2:42PM GMT 
basura21 29 Feb 2008 7:44PM GMT 
SandraLLewis 1 Mar 2008 12:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions