Search for content in message boards

Batchelder of Holliston MA, Woodbury NJ

Replies: 0

Batchelder of Holliston MA, Woodbury NJ

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Batchelder philips bussell
Old letter written September 25, 1842 by Mary Batchelder in Holliston, Massachusetts and sent to her brother, the Rev Frederick Batchelder in Woodbury, New Jersey.

Addressed to Mr. Frederick L. Batchelder, Woodbury, New Jersey

Holliston
September 25, 1842

Dear Brother,

Your truly welcome letter came to hand last evening. It was rather unexpected as I had begun to look for you home. We have just received letters from Otis and of the half dozen that came to Holliston, one was for you. We did not open it until after the receipt of yours and have concluded not to send it to you now, nor at all, unless you request it. I will repeat the most important parts of it and all that you would wish to know in order to answer it.

First, your letter of November was received in good season. The box that G. sent arrived the second week in March. The watches were doing well and were likely to prove of service. He feared you had robbed yourself by sending yours. The books were very acceptable and were read with interest. They read one weekly and 2 monthly periodicals published in India. Mrs. Philips has added a daughter to the mission circle. (These letters were dated the latter part of April.)

The weather had been so hot for 3 weeks that the furniture had a hot feel and they had begin to close their doors and windows to keep the hot air out. The weather so far was much hotter than the season before. They were able to converse freely in Oriya and he hoped to be able to preach without great difficulty. The alphabet alone was troublesome. [They] were enjoying perfect health and were getting along well in their work.

In conclusion, he says, "And now dear brother, what say? Shall we ever be privileged with a meeting on the plains of India? Your letters and Mary's have excited some hope and we wait with anxiety for the decision (and what did I say? Why just this -- How can we spare Frederick to go to the Santals, and beside, is there not a work for him to do in the broad West?) You might find congregations in Balasore daily in 4 different languages, Oriya, Hindee, Hindustani, Bengalu, and the Santals within 10 miles!!

You feel like "a stranger in a strange land." If you feel thus, when no farther off than New Jersey, how can you think of going to Greece, or any other foreign land? Or is it when contrasting your present situate with that of Newton that you feel thus alone?

Your plants are doing as well as can be expected in this rude clime. I shall not forget your Hydrangia when November comes. Benjamin has paid your tailor's bill. I fear you will need your shirts if you stay away much longer unless the good ladies give you some. Mother says you must not run about and get sick through carelessness, for you would have none but strangers to take care of you and I would repeat it. Also, look out for danger in the shape of steam, fire, water, and everything else where there can be any danger.

G. is at home and tells me to say that he is going to manufacturing shoes for the present, though I guess, and not without reason, that he thinks of teaching school within 30 miles, next winter. He can have two or three, but may alter his mind.

Monday 26. I saw Eveline last evening. She sends her love. George says there is a letter for you in the Post Office. He is going to take it out and keep it till you write him what to do with it. It was mailed at Providence. He says it came two or three weeks ago. So you have turned pedagogue for a little while. Well, I hope you will succeed until you find a place to preach to suit you. G. says when you write, you must tell us about your school. If you should happen to get among slavery, be careful.

If you happen to get a little money, take care and do not let the thieves get it for they will rob a minister as quick as any other person. The Methodists have been to camp meeting and got waked up and talk of having a revival. The Lord grant it. To this end, I hope you will remember us in your prayers. J. Bussell is going to move to Concord, New Hampshire. The day is fixed a week from tomorrow. I intend to resume my studies in a few days if nothing take place to prevent, and if you stay out 'thereabouts,' perhaps I shall come out and stop within a half mile's ride, i.e. forty or fifty miles.

We are all in good health as usual. Lucretia appears reconciled altogether to Catherine's death. I could scribble on and find something more to tell you but the mail will soon be along. You see I have written hastily. Therefore, excuse all mistakes. I close by requesting an interest in your prayers.

Write again soon. Yours in love,
Mary

Find a board about a specific topic