Search for content in message boards

Enterprise, AL Baxleys

Replies: 11

Re: Barbour, Coffee, Henry Co. Baxleys

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 10:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baxley
Janie, thanks for your post. I just received it. Usually I get a notice of a reply but apparently it didn't do it with these. Your information is somewhat correct. Cora was born in Barbour Co. ca. Apr.,1879. Her parents were Riley & Louvincia Baxley. She married Delmus Lyle (D.L.) Williams at Old Tabernacle Church Dec. 25, 1894. They had one child that died in infancy, name unknown. Her second child was Sterling Walton Williams, b. 19 Jan 1898 at New Hope, Coffee Co.. D.L. was a infamous vagrant in the region. It is speculated that he was mean to her or that she might have been unfaithful to him. She and Sterling are found in the 1900 census living with her brother, Thomas at Barnes Crossroads in Dale Co. Family ledgend has it that Sterling was taken away from her by his father, DL, and given to DL's sister Emma Horn and her husband, Frank. She agreed to take him under the condition that DL stay away and she was allowed to raised him as she saw fit. Family lore also says that Sterling was told him mother was dead until later in his life. He knew about her by 1918 as she is listed as his next of kin on his WWI draft. In 1910 she was living and working as a servant in the household of Ben Hodges in Edwin, Henry Co. In 1920 she was boarding in Abbeville, Henry Co. in the houseold of Calvin Oliver. She had no occupation at this time. After that we loose her. Sterling died in 1931. His children know little of him and less of her. I am researching on behalf of the family and would like to contact any one of Cora's family that remembered her or her story. She also went by variations of "Neley" and the last name is often misspelled as Boxley. I haven't found other documentation for her. I don't know if she remarried but have found no evidence of a certificate after 1920 in Dale, Barbour, Coffee, or Henry Co. I am still looking other places. I haven't looked for a death cert via Alabama but on list of death certs no indication of one has been noted. Thanks for your help with this. I have a list of her siblings. My e-mail address is melis@arn.net. Thanks for your post. Looking forward to hearing from you..PS I have a great deal of info on her husband's, D.L.'s family.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanieCLD_55 11 Oct 2012 10:41PM GMT 
melis181 21 Jun 2013 4:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions