Search for content in message boards

Beasleys from VA (Petersburg, Amelia, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie) - Weeks (possibly Sally Jackson?)

Replies: 2

Re: Beasleys from VA (Petersburg, Amelia, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie)

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 8:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Feb 2005 3:49PM GMT
Surnames: Beasley, Jackson, Pitts, Hudson, Peatross, Brown, Baldwin, Brooks, Yarbrough, Ellis
Your Thomas Beasley is my ancestor was born in VA moved to Williamson Co Tennessee. Married Sarah Sally Jackson in 1783. Thomas Father was John Pitt Beasley whose birth their is a conterversey over whether he is the son of Lord Pitt or William Beasley the Third I am sure he was the son of William Beasley the third. I am from the line of Thomas son Thomas White Beasley Senior. Have a nice day

Our John Pitts Beasley, who was married to Elizabeth, and also who died in Warren Co., North Carolina, purchased land in Virginia on 10 March 1761. Part of this 198.75 acres was in Amelia County and part of it was in Prince Edward County where the deed was filed in Deed Book 2:58. John Pitts Beasley had to be at least 21 years old to purchase land, and therefore he would have been born at least by 1740. Several genealogist have attempted to prove the parentage of John Pitts Beasley without success.

There is a Beasley family in Essex Co., Virginia which lived near a Pitts family. Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Essex Co., 1711-1714, by Beverly Fleet:

John Pitts owned land in St. Anne’s Parish, adjoining William Brown, 30 March 1713
(page 79).

William Beasley owned land in St. Anne’s Parish adjoining William Brown, 30 March
1713 (page 80).

Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Essex Co., Wills and Deeds, 1714-1717, by Beverly Fleet :
Deed of Martin Willard, Essex Co., 3 Dec. 1715, to Silverster Pitt of same,
adjoining William Beasley, John Pitts was a witness (page 43). Deed Book 9:423.
John Hudson, planter, St. Anne’s Parish, sold to William Peatross land adjoining William
Pitts, 18 July 1715 (page 21).

William Beasley left a will dated, 21 January 1718, and presented in court 17 November 1719. He names his wife Mary, as executrix. The following children were named in the will: eldest son, William [II], 50 acres of land adjoining to the plantation where he now lives. After his decease, to his eldest son William [III]; son, Benjamin, 40 acres of land adjoining to the plantation where he now lives, and also all the land I have on that side of the branch next to John Pitts; son, Henry, 50 acres of land lying next to my son Benjamin; son, John, 50 acres of land lying next to my son Henry’s land; all the remaining part of my land to my son, Charles.

John Pitts left a will in St. Anne’s Parish, Essex Co., dated 23 January 1728, naming his wife, Elizabeth, and his grandson, John Pitts, the son of his son David Pitts, as heir to the land adjoining William Beasley.

Richard Beasley was born about 1708 and married November 1728 to Ann "Pitts." She is the one who had a bastard child that might have been fathered by Lord Pitts of England. This child, Ambros, would have been born before November 1728. Richard and Ann had no children of their own to survive them (this is apparent from the will). Richard may have been related to our John Pitts Beasley, but that has yet to be established. The probability that they were related is very strong.

A Colonial Beasley Family

1. William Beasley I, the emigrant, wrote his will found in Essex Co., Virginia, 21 Jan. 1718, and presented in court 17 Nov. 1719. In his will he named his wife Mary, who was executrix, and children:

To my eldest son, William [II], 50 acres of land adjoining to the plantation where he now lives. After his decease, to his eldest son William [III]. This William [II] would have been at least 21 years old or older, to already have a son of his own [William III];

To my son Benjamin, 40 acres of land adjoining to the plantation where he now lives, and also all the land I have on that side of the branch next to John Pitts;

To my son Henry, 50 acres of land lying next to my son Benjamin;

To my son John, 50 acres of land lying next to my son Henry's land;

All the remaining part of my land to my son, Charles.

In studying these children remember that they had to be at least 16 years old to take possession of land holdings, and at least 21 years old to own land. We do not know if William I had given plantations to William II and Benjamin already, and those were the ones they were living on. The will does make reference to land adjoining the plantations they were then living on. Based on an estimated birth year of 1708 for Richard, and allowing two years between children, William III might have been born about 1706. If William II was at least 20 years old when his son was born he might have been born in 1686.

+ 2. William II was already married or at least had a child, William III mentioned in the will of William I. So lets say he was born about 1686, which would make him age 33 when this will was written.

3. Benjamin may have been born about 1688, which would make him age 31.

4. Henry may have been born about 1690, which would make him age 29.

5. John may have been born about 1692, which would make him age 27.

6. Charles may have been born about 1694, which would make him age 25.

Any of these could have been the ancestor of our John Pitts Beasley.

The following references are interesting as they show a connection to the John Pitts family and the William Beasley family.

Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Essex County, 1711-1714, by Beverly Fleet.

John Pitts owned land in St. Anne's Parish, adjoining William Brown, 30 March 1713 (page 79)

William Beasley owned land in St. Anne's Parish adjoining William Brown, 30 March 1713 (page 80)

Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Essex County, Wills and Deeds 1714-17. Deed Book 9:423,
by Beverly Fleet.

Deed of Martin Willard, Essex Co., 3 Dec. 1715, to Silvester Pitt of same, adjoining William Beasley, John Pitts was a witness. (no further information on Silvester Pitts) (page 43)

John Hudson, planter, St. Anne's Parish, sold to William Peatross land adjoining William Pitts, 18 July 1715 (page 21)

John Pitts left a will in St. Anne's Parish, Essex Co., dated 23 January 1728, naming his wife, Elizabeth, and his grandson, John Pitts, the son of his son David Pitts, as heir to the land adjoining William Beasley.

2. William Beasley II left a will in Essex Co., Va., written 8 Dec. 1744, probated 19 Mar. 1744/45, in which he named his wife Mary, his children, and a grandson, Gowin Beasley. Wife Mary was named the executrix.

7. William III, b. about 1706 (had to be bef. Nov. 1719; d. bef. Dec. 1744. Note that William III is mentioned in the will of William I, but not in the will of William II.

+ 8. Richard, b. ca. 1708; m. Nov. 1728, Ann Pitts; d. bef. Apr. 1772.

9. Elizabeth.

10. Ann.

11. Mary, wife of James Willard.

12. Martha.

13. James.

8. Richard Beasley, b. about 1708; will written 9 Apr. 1770, proven, 26 Sept. 1771, Nottoway Parish, Amelia Co., Virginia (Will Book 2:7); m. before Nov. 1728 Ann Pitts, mother of Ambros Pitts/Beasley. Richard and Ann had no children of their own. In his will he left his wife Ann, all his lands and Negroes and other estate, real or personal, but at her death or "entermarriage" to be equally divided between his son, Ambros Beasley, by some people called Ambros Pitts, and his three children, named Richard Beasley, Jun., William Beasley, and Ann Beasley. The will of Richard:

In the name of God Amen I Richard Beasley of Notoway
Parrish in the County of Amelia do make and declare this to
be my last Will and Testament in manner and form following

Viz, I lend to my wife Ann Beasley during her natural life
or Entermarriage all my Lands whatsoever with all my
Negro’s and all other part of my Estate both real or
personal and at her death or Entermarriage I desire it
may be all equally Devided between my Son Ambros Beasley
by some people called Ambros Pitts, and his three Children
named Richard Beasley Junr, William Beasley and Ann
Beasley which I give to them and their heirs for ever–

my Will further is that there be no appraisement of my
Estate by Order of Court and lastly I appoint my Son
Ambrose Beasley Executor of this my last Will and Testament

In Witness wherof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal
this Ninth day of April One thousand seven hundred
and seventy

Signed Sealed & acknowledged }
in the Presence of us } Richd. Beasley
James Baldwin

Mary x [her mark] Brooks
Barthom. Duprey

At a Court held for Amelia County the 26th day of September 1771 –
This Will was Proved by the Oaths of James Baldwin and
Mary Brooks two of the Witnesses thereto sworn to by
Ambrose Beasley the Executor therein named and Ordered to be
Recorded And on Motion of the said Executor who entered
into Bond as the law directs Certified for obtaining
a Probate in due form was granted him.
Test
John Pride DC

+ 14. Ambros Beasley (or Ambros Pitts), b. before Nov. 1728 to Ann Pitts,

14. Ambros Beasley (or Ambrose Pitts) left a will in Nottoway Co., Virginia, 29 Aug. 179- (Will Book 2:7).

15. Richard Beasley II, b. ca. 1748, d. 17 May 1810, Wilkes Co., Ga.; m. "Jinsey" Jane Yarbrough, prob. sister to Archibald Yarbrough who m. Ann Beasley, sister to Richard Beasley II.

16. William Beasley, b. ca. 1750, d. 4 Dec. 1802, prob. Nottoway Co., Va.; m. 1st Ann Hurt, and 2nd Mary R.

17. Ann Beasley m. Archibald Yarbrough, son of Thomas Yarbrough. They settled in Wilkes Co., Ga.

NOTICE there is not a John listed among the children of Ambros Beasley.

The John Pitts Beasley Family

Whether the John Pitts Beasley branch of the family descended from Lord Pitt of England is based entirely on information suppose to have been from William Thomas Beasley (b.1875). Where it seems feasible that the descendants of Richard Beasley were perhaps descendants of Lord Pitt of England, it does not seem feasible that the descendants of John Pitts Beasley were.

William Thomas Beasley, born in 1875 (son of Austin Hickman Beasley, grandson of Wiley Ellis Beasley, great grandson of John Pitts Beasley and his wife Lucy (Ellis) Beasley, great great grandson of John Pitts Beasley) wrote letters from Franklin, Tennessee in 1950 and 1951, "Cousin Etta" and Albert Tucker Beasley. The first letter to Etta contained several errors which he corrected in the letter to Albert. The following is a typescript of a xerox copy of the letter which Ann Beasley (daughter of Albert) provided Janice Sanders Carver and she reproduced it in her book, Climbing Zachariah's Tree; A Genealogy of My Beasley Ancestors (Memphis: Peerless Printing Co., Inc., Oct. 1988):

Franklin Tenn. March 18, 1951

Mr. Albert Tucker Beasley, Franklin, Tenn.

Dear Sir and Cousin,

Just a few words in regard to our fore fathers. Since
I was talking to cousin Etta about our kinsmen, I have
been looking into the subject to be certain about just who
they were. I have found that I made a little mistake and
Now is the time to correct it. Instead of being Barney
Beasley, our great grandfather, it was John Pitt Beasley,
who was born May 18, 1776 and died Nov. 5, 1848. He was
the father of our grandfather, Wiley E. Beasley,
who was born Oct. 12, 1803 and died April 3, 1872. Our
great uncles were John Pitt Beasley, Barney Beasley, William
Beasley and Berry Beasley. Our great uncle William Beasley
born Aug. 4, 1825 and died Nov. 28, 1897. Before he died
in 1897, he told me that he wanted to tell me one thing not
to forget, that our great great grandfather was William Pitt
of England.

I got this information out of our great uncle's bible.

- William Thomas Beasley

Leonard J. McCown has not seen the original typed letter from William Thomas Beasley. However, William Thomas Beasley does make reference to his great uncle William's Bible. Leonard has seen this Bible (published in 1875), and has xerox copies of the family register it contains. This Bible was owned by Mrs. J. Dobson Johnson of Franklin, Tennessee in July 1980 when he saw it and made xerox copies of the family register. Mrs. Johnson was the former Sarah Anna Beasley, daughter of William James Beasley, and granddaughter of William Beasley and his second wife, Mary T. White. Mrs. Johnson died 16 April 1991. While it does contain the birth and death records of his parents, various records of William's brothers and sisters, and his own family, it contained nothing concerning the family being a descended from Lord Pitt of England.

Mrs. Johnson also had a handwritten letter, which Leonard believes she kept in the Bible, from "Uncle John" written from 5967 Corona Avenue, Huntington Park, California, September 20, 1938. He tells about the Beasley family beginning with John P. Beasley and his wife Lucy. "Uncle John" was John Wiley Berry Beasley, born 17 February 1860 near Linden, Perry Co., Tennessee, and was the son of William Beasley and his 2nd wife, Mary T. White. Again he makes no references to the family being descended from Lord Pitt of England.

William Beasley was the son of John Pitts Beasley and his wife Lucy (Ellis) Beasley. Leonard is not sure where William came up with this story or idea, if he did. Perhaps he did research or had some research done and the will of Richard Beasley was found. This story could have easily have grown out of this will because of the use of the name Pitts. However, Leonard does not see how our John Pitts Beasley could have been the son of William Pitt of England.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dbj1704_1 29 Jun 2004 12:08AM GMT 
MaryHamley 14 Sep 2004 2:24PM GMT 
Donna Beesley Kunkel 8 Dec 2004 3:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions