Search for content in message boards

female ? indian bedard...married to a esward joseph gauthier indian

Replies: 16

Re: Indian Ancestor in Bedard Line

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 12:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Judi,

Thanks for the followup regarding Indian ancestry in the Bedard Line......

My ancestor was Marie Louise Bedard born about 1810, not sure where but she seems to have spent a reasonable time prior to her marriage in Ste Marie de Monnoir (Marievile) PQ. Louise Bedard married Gregoire Berard on the 3 August 1830 at Ste Marie de Monnoir (Marieville)and as I mentioned previously in my other posting no surname was recorded for M.Louise on the marriage record, nor any parents or family. The only people recorded by the priest in relation to M.Louise were "friends of the bride".....and these were Ambroise Patenaude and Simon Seguin.

It is not until the baptism her third child that a surname is recorded for her, and that is when the surname Bedard appears.

Obviously there was some "stigma" surrounding my ancestor, perhaps she was illegitimate, this seems the likely explanation. Interestingly I find only one Bedard who has any later connection with Louise, as the godmother of one her children, and that is Charlotte Bedard d/o Jean-Baptiste Bédard and Charlotte Brodeur dit Lavigne. Being the godmother of one of Louise's children seems to be the only contact Charlotte Bedard has with Louise. Charlotte Bédard married Joseph Ostilly dit Domingue on the 19 July 1814 at Ste-Marie-de-Monnoir PQ (Marieville).

To date I find no other Bedard who seem to have any connection or contact with Louise throughout her life.

Louise Bedard and her husband, Gregoire Berard, left Ste Marie de Monnoir (Marieville) in about 1836-37 and went to live at Berkshire Vermont, they had a brief return across the border living in the Potton/Mansonville PQ area for a short time before moving back into the US where they lived in the Troy/Jay Vermont area.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ebedard189 17 Apr 2010 2:55AM GMT 
montg0mery 13 Jan 2011 3:32PM GMT 
bdrf422 29 Nov 2013 8:23PM GMT 
janicelodge 13 May 2003 10:43PM GMT 
montg0mery 13 Jan 2011 3:21PM GMT 
pete_lodge 13 Jan 2011 7:45PM GMT 
Arpha Barwise nee Lepitre,Gauthier 24 Dec 2001 11:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions