Search for content in message boards

William Columbus Bennett I/VA

Replies: 38

Re: William Columbus Bennett I/VA

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 12:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I totally agree about confusion with this Bennett line. There are two un-related Bennett families in Pittsylvania County, VA. The key to this line lies with the Dodson connection. There is a 2-volume book on the Dodson family.

I am not at all sure if this family is part of the Jamestown Bennetts. It seems likely that William Columbus's father is John, son of Elizabeth Rice and William
Bennett. William was born Oct. 16, 1691. This is from the Pittsylvania Co. Bennett "historian." The last time we talked Donald Bennett's email was Archidon2@aol.com

Bartley is Bartholomew. Census records, marriage, land deeds, etc. in Louisiana name him Bartholomew most of the time. I did find a few times he was named Bartley. Uncle/father-in-law Jesse uses the names Dodson, William, etc. for his children. We know that Bartholomew married his first cousin Sarah. There is a Jesse Dodson--brother to Elizabeth Dodson.

Have you seen the book written by Bettie Cox Collie? She lives in NC and compiled/wrote the book about 10 years ago. The Bennetts of Pittsylvania County, VA. Donald helped her with quite a bit of it. Several Louisiana descendants added our 2 cents worth.

Thanks for updating this line. I did not know the name of William's first wife. Please keep in touch. If you are interested in the LA family, I will gladly send what I have.
Ruth in Louisiana

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
turtleconner 26 Dec 1999 2:51PM GMT 
Preston Bennett 2 Jan 2000 11:12AM GMT 
b9675309jenny 5 Oct 2001 11:05AM GMT 
Sam Mozley 17 Dec 2008 7:47PM GMT 
joburnstx 1 Jan 2009 7:34PM GMT 
Sam Mozley 1 Jan 2009 11:36PM GMT 
joburnstx 2 Jan 2009 2:31AM GMT 
ruthannebenne... 2 Jan 2009 4:32AM GMT 
Sam Mozley 2 Jan 2009 6:07PM GMT 
ruthannebenne... 2 Jan 2009 7:26PM GMT