Search for content in message boards

Will ROGERS s/o Clem Van ROGERS, step-mother Mary L. BIBLE

Replies: 2

Will ROGERS s/o Clem Van ROGERS, step-mother Mary L. BIBLE

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BIBLE, COFFELT, GREEN, GUNTER, HEREFORD, HOYLE, LOCKER, MAYFIED, Mc SPADDEN, NICHOLSON, ROGERS. SCHRIMSHER, VANN
Hello,

I was researching my BIBLE line and discovered their name associated with the famous Will ROGERS. I was surprised. Here's what I found:

Mary L. BIBLE (1866 -1900) married Clem Van ROGERS as his second wife. Clem Van ROGERS & Mary America SCHRIMSHER are the parents of Will ROGERS. Mary SCHRIMSHER died in 1890. Clem Vann ROGERS married Mary L. BIBLE 1/15/1893 Oklahoma.

Mary L. BIBLE d/o George Preston BIBLE (1836 - 1917) and his wife, Lydia or Lettie (unk surname) or possibly wife, Anna A. MAYFIELD.

It was mentioned that Will ROGERS was not fond of his step-mother. He was not told of the marriage until after it happened and he returned to the ranch from boarding school.

Mary L. BIBLE ROGERS contracted meningitis and after several attempts by her husband to help her, died of complications from the disease. Clem V. ROGERS promised his wife he would take take of her family. He apparently purchased the land the BIBLE family was living on and gave it to them as a gift.

"Mary BIBLES mother Annie, was a teacher at the Sunnyside School near Talala, OK." This would be Anna A. MAYFIELD.
Source:
Rogers, Will, The Papers of Will Rogers:, the Early Years "Electronic," 548.
Google Books

William Henry BIBLE aka BIBLES (1851 - 1933) married Mary Elizabeth LOCKER (1853 - 1917) was the Uncle of Mary L. BIBLES ROGERS.

Will ROGERS' grandmother Elizabeth Hunt GUNTER (1804 - 18977) is the Aunt of Sarah GUNTER who married Adam M. BIBLE (s/o John Adam BIBLE & Rebecca COFFELT).

Margaret Sarah NICHOLSON (1843 - 1879) married William Carroll LOCKER (s/o Samuel S. LOCKER & Frances HEREFORD). Margaret's mother, Sarah GUNTER, is the wife of Adam M. BIBLE (above) and John R. NICHOLSON.

Sallie VANN is the mother of Clem Vann ROGERS. Sarah Sallie VANN is also the name of the wife of Evan NICHOLSON, grandmother of Margaret Sarah NICHOLSON LOCKER. I haven't connected these two names, yet.

The Mc SPADDEN name is connected with the ROGERS line. Sarah Clementine ROGERS d/o Clem Vann ROGERS and Mary America SCHRIMSHER, married John Thomas Mc SPADDEN s/o Thonas Kingsberry Mc SPADDEN & Elizabeth GREEN (d/o James P. GREEN & Elizabeth HOYLE).

James Monroe LOCKER (1833 - 1920) and Cemantha Susannah BIBLE (1844 - 1926) raised two boys as their own, Jim RICHARDS and a boy with the surname Mc SPADDEN. A T.A. Mc SPADDEN and a C.H. Mc SPADDEN lived very near James M. LOCKER in Bosque Co., TX.

Sources:
Rogers, Will, The Papers of Will Rogers:, the Early Years "Electronic," 548.
Google Books
Dawes Final Rolls of the Five Civilized Tribes
Lyle Family ...the ancestry and posterity of Matthew John, Daniel and Samuel Lyle, pioneer settlers in Virginia author, Oscar K. Lyle

Very interesting stuff,
Linda Cashen Gaunt
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LMGaunt 15 Feb 2014 11:48PM GMT 
Terri Strotma... 28 Feb 2014 1:11AM GMT 
LMGaunt 7 Mar 2014 12:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic