John BIGGS VA born 1751

Replies: 31

John BIGGS VA born 1751

Sarah K Shingleton (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2002 1:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2005 11:40AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs
please email me for more information on this family, and let me know if you have any additional information.

http://www.geocities.com/sarahka1

he founder of my branch of the Biggs Family was John Biggs. He was born in 1751 - his birthplace is unknown. It is not certain where he came from. It has been said that he came here from England with 2 brothers, James and William. James settled in either KY or TN, William in MD, and John in VA. ***John, according to his Revolutionary War pension statement, fought in the Light Horse (or Dragoons). It is said that General George Washington preferred that these cavalry soldiers in these units be natives to the Colonies. That leads me to believe that John Biggs was probably born in this country.

John Biggs fought in the American Revolution. He enlisted in the 13th Infantry Regiment of the Virginia Continental Line in 1778. John enlisted as a private under Captain John Smith. On May 12, 1779, the unit was converted to the 9th Continental Line. At some time during the war, he served under Captain John Biggs (son of Benjamin Biggs of Ulster Co, NY). He also fought in the Light Horse, better known as the Light Dragoons, commanded by Colonel William Washington, cousin to the Commander in Chief. Although John does not specify in his statement, Colonel Washington commanded the 3rd Continental Light Dragoons. He was at the Battle of the Cowpens and the Battle of the Eutaw Springs, both fought in South Carolina. He was discharged from the army at Bacon's Bridge by General Nathaniel Greene. He served from the time of his enlistment in 1778 to the conclusion of the war.

I have recently discovered that there is a Bacon's Bridge Road in Summerville, SC, just northwest of Charleston, SC. Bacon's Bridge was originally known as Steven's Bridge, and is located on the Ashley River north of Old Fort Dorchester, South Carolina, northwest of Charleston, South Carolina. It was made a public bridge on June 23, 1722. Michael Bacon later acquired the land on which the bridge stood, and was known after that as Bacon's Bridge. Old Fort Dorchester was a colonial town and is now part of the National Park Service.

The original bridge is not in existence. The present concrete bridge has been moved upstream about 100 feet from the original site. It is said that there was an American headquarters at Bacon's Bridge, and that Patriot troops were stationed there. General Nathanael Green wrote some correspondences from there. Bacon's Bridge Redoubt, an earthen fortification, is located near the bridge. It was built by General William Moultrie under orders from General Lincoln during the Revolutionary War. This information came from a historian from South Carolina, collected on July 31, 2000 by Sarah Kathleen Shingleton. More research will be done on this topic.

John applied for a War Pension on March 18, 1821. The pension was for $8 a month, signed by J.C. Calhoun. (Continental Virginia pension # S37775) The account was recorded at the Giles County Courthouse on June 10 1821 and signed by David French. My mother, Sidney Shingleton, obtained these records from the National Archives in Washington, DC. The statement is as follows:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sarah K Shingleton 5 Jan 2002 8:37PM GMT 
fergcomp 7 Jan 2002 1:17AM GMT 
SandyTravis99 10 Feb 2005 12:59AM GMT 
yatahai 19 Sep 2007 9:09AM GMT 
Edwin Douglas... 25 Nov 2007 9:12PM GMT 
DANBIGGS35 26 Nov 2007 3:09PM GMT 
SarahShinglet... 15 Jan 2008 1:07AM GMT 
Rvblohm 16 Jan 2008 1:31AM GMT 
SarahShinglet... 16 Jan 2008 2:39AM GMT 
yatahai 27 Nov 2007 8:57AM GMT 
per page