Search for content in message boards

500- year old history of Blenkinsops/Blankenships in England

Replies: 0

500- year old history of Blenkinsops/Blankenships in England

Don Blankenship (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2002 4:58PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Blenkinsop Blenkinship Blenkenship
Some of you will be interested in the new web pages I've posted regarding Blankenship/Blenkinsop connections to medieval England. The Blenkinsops of Cumberland and Northumberland were field military commanders, knights in waiting and well to do people of northern England for several hundred years before one of their kind finally immigrated to America in 1686/87 to become the forefather of all Blankinships and Blankenships.

500-year Old Latin Language Documents on Blenkinsops in northern England
http://www.megabits.net/~fiddler/500_year_old_docs.html

I've just posted this latest web page which contains data recently received from Blenkinsop researchers in England. They found old Latin and English language documents on the earliest Blenkinsops in England. Many of you already know of the connections between Blankenships, Blenkinships, and Blenkinsops. These English researchers also made photocopies from the book "The History of Northumberland, England." This book, in particular, details the genealogy of the Blancans and Blenkinsops dating back to the time of William the Conqueror circa 1066. Another Latin language extract is from "the History of Cumberland, England by William Hutchinson, dated 1794. Hutchinson was an English scholar of his era. His books were Encyclopedic references of just about everything known of this region of northern England, including its history, flora, fauna, architecture, art, and most importantly......the genealogy of notables, including the Blenkinsops. This is the first time I believe any Blankenship genealogist has ever laid eyes on this particular 208-year old encyclopedic reference. I've only seen it referenced in the bibliographies of other history books prepared by English parishes in County Durban.

I think this new material may be the Rosetta Stone to unraveling our Blankenship links to England. I've added a large number of hyperlinks to this new web page so you can navigate to other sites referenced in this encyclopedic volume. Whenever a placename is referenced I've included a clickable hyperlink. Click on the colored placenames which take you to detailed street or terrain maps of the various sites in England. Once at the map site you can navigate around, zoom-in and zoom-out to see where referenced site is located in relation to England in general. I've also translated some of the Old English words into modern day English. I had an person translate one of the Latin language documents and hope to find someone else to help me with the other Latin language documents that are included on this new web page.

There also is information at this new web page which identifies the various Blenkinsop Coat-of-Arms COA). I've recently recreated those COA's based upon my knowledge of heraldry. Additionally, there is specific and detailed land survey information on exactly where the old Blencan Township was at Greenhead (near Haltwhistle, England). This township apparently dates back 1,000 years. The original Blenkinsops apparently used the surname BLENCAN, according this new research material. Using this old reference material it may be possible to link the Blenkinsops back to sometime around 500 AD and perhaps even further back to1000 AD. In fact, the area right around Blenkinsop Castle seems to have been continuously inhabited since about 75 AD when the Romans were there.

I'm still working on the 500-year old Blenkinsop genealogy contained in the book "The History of Northumberland." I'm trying to put this into Family Tree Maker. I will add a new web page containing this medieval genealogy at a later day.

As always, I invite Blankenships and others to comment on this research effort.

500-year Old Latin Language Documents on Blenkinsops in Cumberland and Northumbria, England

Also See:

Ralph Blankinship's possible roots in County Durham, England
http://www.megabits.net/~fiddler/Gainfort_Parish.htm

----------------------------------
New 500-year history of our Blenkinsops in England

Some of you will be interested in the new web pages I've posted regarding Blankenship/Blenkinsop connections back to medieval England and earlier. The Blenkinsops of Cumberland and Northumberland were field military commanders, knights in waiting and seemingly wealthy aristocrats. This were notable people who lived along the English-Scottish border for several hundred years before one of their kind finally immigrated to America in 1686/87. This immigrant, Ralph Blankinship, became the forefather of all American born Blankinships and Blankenships.

SEE:
500-year Old Latin Language Documents on Blenkinsops in northern England

I've just posted this latest web page which contains data recently received from Blenkinsop researchers in England. They found old Latin and English language documents on the earliest Blenkinsops in England. Many of you already know of the connections between Blankenships, Blenkinships, and Blenkinsops. These English researchers also made photocopies from the book "The History of Northumberland, England." This book, in particular, details the genealogy of the Blancans and Blenkinsops dating back to the time of William the Conqueror circa 1066. Another Latin language extract is from "the History of Cumberland, England by William Hutchinson, dated 1794. Hutchinson was an English scholar of his era. His books were Encyclopedic references of just about everything known of this region of northern England, including its history, flora, fauna, architecture, art, and most importantly......the genealogy of notables, including the Blenkinsops. This is the first time I believe any Blankenship genealogist has ever laid eyes on this particular 208-year old encyclopedic reference. I've only seen it referenced in the bibliographies of other history books prepared by English parishes in County Durban.

I think this new material may be the Rosetta Stone to unraveling our Blankenship links to England. I've added a large number of hyperlinks to this new web page so you can navigate to other sites referenced in this encyclopedic volume. Whenever a placename is referenced I've included a clickable hyperlink. Click on the colored placenames which take you to detailed street or terrain maps of the various sites in England. Once at the map site you can navigate around, zoom-in and zoom-out to see where referenced site is located in relation to England in general. I've also translated some of the Old English words into modern day English. I had an person translate one of the Latin language documents and hope to find someone else to help me with the other Latin language documents that are included on this new web page.

There also is information at this new web page which identifies the various Blenkinsop Coat-of-Arms COA). I've recently recreated those COA's based upon my knowledge of heraldry. Additionally, there is specific and detailed land survey information on exactly where the old Blencan Township was at Greenhead (near Haltwhistle, England). This township apparently dates back 1,000 years. The original Blenkinsops apparently used the surname BLENCAN, according this new research material. Using this old reference material it may be possible to link the Blenkinsops back to sometime around 500 AD and perhaps even further back to1000 AD. In fact, the area right around Blenkinsop Castle seems to have been continuously inhabited since about 75 AD when the Romans were there.

I'm still working on the 500-year old Blenkinsop genealogy contained in the book "The History of Northumberland." I'm trying to put this into Family Tree Maker. I will add a new web page containing this medieval genealogy at a later day.

As always, I invite Blankenships and others to comment on this research effort.

500-year Old Latin Language Documents on Blenkinsops in Cumberland and Northumbria, England

Also See:

Ralph Blankinship's possible roots in County Durham, England
http://www.megabits.net/~fiddler/Gainfort_Parish.htm

HOME PAGE - "Blankenship Origins"
http://www.megabits.net/~fiddler

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions