Replies: 1

The Ship that brought Ralph Blankenship to America

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 8:19AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 12:53AM GMT
Did Ralph Blankinship sail to America on the ship “Samuel and Mary?”

A COMPILATION OF RESEARCH DATA

THE ASSOCIATION OF
RICHARD KENNON AND RALPH BLANKINSHIP

Is it possible to learn the name of the ship the immigrant Ralph Blankinship arrived on when he came to Virginia in 1686/87? Is it also possible to know if the man who brought Ralph to America may have known him or his family clan in England? Additionally, is it possible to learn where in England Kennon and his London based partner William Paggen originally came from? After all Kennon was an important personage in early colonial Virginia and much more was written about him than Ralph Blankinship who probably came to America as an almost anonymous indentured servant. If we can learn as much as possible about Kennon, then perhaps some of this information will help to illuminate the scant history we have of our immigrant ancestor Ralph Blankinship

This analysis is a kind of detective story in pursuit of information regarding Ralph Blankinship. It is an honest attempt to associate the immigrant Ralph Blankinship with his benefactor in America, a man named Richard Kennon. We know from historical documents that Kennon imported Ralph Blankenship to Virginia in 1686/7 (i.e. between January and March of 1686). If we are able to better associate and understand the relationship between Ralph Blankinship and Richard Kennon it might provide us a possible connection to where Ralph came from in England.

We learn from historical research that this same Richard Kennon, II made at least eight trips between Virginia and England prior to 1686, the year in which Ralph Blankenship arrived in Virginia. In fact one historical document noted later in this report suggests Richard Kennon departed again for England about 60 to 90 days after Ralph Blankenship arrived in Virginia. Kennon’s 1686 departure date for England is given as June 1. Did Kennon return to England on the same ship that brought Ralph Blankenship to America? I’ve searched all the available passenger manifests for ships to America during a 50-year period of interest and found no evidence of either Kennon or Blankenship traveling to or from America. This type of search can, however, be deceptive, as the number of ship manifests available for researchers is very small in comparison with the actual number of ship passages. What I assume is that if Ralph Blankinship arrived in Virginia between 1 January and about 25 March of 1686 (as the record states) then he must have left England during mid- to late 1685.

We also know that the time of transit across the Atlantic was as much as 12 weeks and we further know that many of these trips took the sailing vessels first to Barbados or Jamaica as a way point en route to the English colonies in America. There in the Caribbean the ships would be provisioned again for the final leg north to the colonies. Some ships sailed from England directly to Virginia, The route they took probably was associated with the prevailing winds for that particular time of the year. Many passengers arriving in Barbados, which then was a fortified English stronghold, would lay over for a period of time to rest and recuperate from the rigors of the sea journey. The climate was warm, the beaches were lovely, and the rum flowed freely at the English pubs. Life in the Caribbean was wonderful while it lasted. Some voyagers actually were drawn into a life of debauchery and later identified as Barbudeons or something that sounded like that.

In August 1685 the sailing ship “Samuel & Mary” departed Bristol, England for Jamaica in the Caribbean. On board were 67 passengers. We know from 17th century court records that sometime in 1985 Richard Kennon paid for the passage of 90 Englishmen to travel to America and that he later received as his recompense 50 acres of land for each headright, i.e. for each person he imported. However, the Henrico County document doesn’t say that all 90 individuals came on the same ship. This may have been an aggregate number over time. When I searched through the available ship records for the time period in review, namely the time frame around the year 1685, I found only one ship which sailed with a large number of passengers. It was the “Samuel & Mary.” Among the passenger list on the “Samuel and Mary” is one very interesting name that immediately jumpes out. The name is John Bleoke.
(See: http://www.primenet.com/~langford/spls/685ja008.htm#Samuel_&... )

John BLEOKE. was manifested at Bristol England on June 5, 1685 even though the last passenger to board for this sailing was not manifested until August 14, 1685. So I assume the ship did not sail until sometime after August 14th. If it took three months in passage across the Atlantic Ocean it would have arrived in Jamaica on, or about, November 14th where it would have remained there for a short layover before heading north to the colonies. So the time frame is right for an English ship crossing the Atlantic which may have carried Ralph Blankinship to Virginia in early 1686. But what about the surname BLEOKE? It is at first sight very curious indeed because it seems to be a contrived name, or perhaps an alias! The transcriber of this particular ship manifest thought so too because a (?) follows the surname on the manifest. It also is quite interesting that there is no surname of BLOEKE among the 7 or 8 million names in the English BMD civil registries for the 19th CENTURY. An extensive search of the Internet pulled up only one valid reference to the name “BLEOK” and that was a Charles Dickens novel named “Bloenk House.” Dickens, of course, was writing his books about 150 years after Ralph Blankenship arrived in America. The BLOEKE surname on the manifest also may be of German origin where the OE in BLOEKE becomes the single umlauted ö. But this was an English sailing vessel, carrying English passengers to an English colony so a Germanic surname does not fit into this context. In looking at the name John BLEOKE I wondered if it might have been corrupted over time and that the original script was actually John BLENKE.

The surname BLENKE is not a far stretch from the surname BLENKENSHIP, but any more than this would simply be guessing. Is there a Blankenship alive who can ever remember that as a child they once were called “Blinky”, Blanky or perhaps BLENKE? If the surname on the ship manifest actually was BLENKE, then perhaps the ink ran on the letter N, closing it to produce the surname BLEOKE. But then why was the surname contrived in the first place? Was it perhaps that the owner of the surname didn’t know how to spell it correctly? Or perhaps the first and last name was devised to hide an identity? Who knows? But what we do know is that both BLENKE and BLEOKE were “NOT” legitimate English surnames then or now. By contrast everyone else aboard the ship “Samuel and Mary” in August 1685 had English surnames. The ship manifest on which the surname BLEOKE appears is 316 years old. Was the original surname on the ship manifest actually BLENKE-NSHIP and terminal portion ….NSHIP washed out, faded or moth eaten. After all it certainly was a most uncommon name in the 1800's and one would think even more so during the 1600's. On all the English ship manifests I’ve ever checked I’ve never once found a surname which begins with BLENK. It’s very curious indeed! If only the first name had been Ralph then we could toy with this notion even more.

In previous analyses I’ve done on the Blenkinship surname I determined that the root word BLEN is derived from the Norse or Viking language and that all people who have BLENK as the root word in their surnames originally came from the area of Penrith in Cumberland, England. It is only in this small region of northwestern England where several hamlets have BLEN as the root word in a placename. We know from the context that the word BLEN presumably was an old Norse word which meant something like “a river valley” because each of the Norse named hamlets that starts with Blen are located in river valleys. There are other Norse words associated with land features in and near these towns that have the root word BLEN.

To put the 1685 ship manifest matter to rest I checked every name on the 1685 list of 67 passengers onboard the ship “Samuel and Mary.” I compared them with a separate list of 100 or so people I know to have resided in or near Ralph Blankinship’s homestead in Virginia around 1695. There were no matches. This does not surprise me as one assumes that the other passengers who traveled with Ralph Blankinship to America were also indentured servants and remained in this status for some time after their arrival in America. Therefore they might not be represented on Henrico County taxation lists because of their indenture servant status. This line of genealogy inquiry provides insight into the degree of analysis required to tease out the probative evidence required to substantiate bold genealogy claims.

Ralph presumably was imported to work directly for Richard Kennon as a metal smith and it is perhaps for this reason that Ralph lived less than 1/2 mile from Kennon's summer home on Conjurer Neck, Virginia. The information below has been compiled in an attempt to study the possibility that a family relationship may have prompted Kennon to import Ralph Blankinship to America. Meanwhile I’ll continue to conjecture as to the possibility of learning the name of the ship that carried Ralph Blankenship to America. And finally, I’ll examine the names of the people living around Ralph Blankinship in 1695 in colonial Virginia to determine if any of them may have come from Cumberland, England where I believe Ralph’s family came from. Was this area around Bermuda Hundred, Hopewell and Conjurer’s Neck an assemblage of people formerly from northern England? It’s a long shot but perhaps worth examining.

THE BIOGRAPHY AND HISTORY OF RICHARD KENNON, II

In 1685 we learn that the Virginia aristocrat Richard Kennon, II communicated to William Paggen, his business partner in London, that he wanted a number of men transported to Virginia. Kennon was then in the business of importing African slaves to the English colony in Virginia. His partner Paggen was a supplier who provisioned Kennon’s warehouse and frontier store at Bermuda Hundred, a township on the Appomattox River two and one half miles north of Hopewell, Virginia and about 33 miles northwest of Jamestown on the James River. Richard Kennon, in 1685, began building his large brick summer home on Conjurer’s Neck. The new home about six and one half miles southwest of his store and warehouse at Bermuda Hundred. He obviously needed skilled workers to complete his new summer mansion and so it is presumed that Ralph Blankinship, among others, provided the necessary working skills needed by Kennon during the time the new summer home was under construction.

While it is unproved that Ralph Blankenship was a craftsman with metal working skills, it does seem likely based solely upon the large amount of metal scraps revealed in his death inventory. Obviously these metal scraps had substantial worth because of their mention in the inventory taken following Ralph’s death in 1714. The value of Ralph’s miscellaneous iron scraps owned at his death were inventoried and they had a value of 4 shillings; the fabricated iron parts (whatever they were) were valued at 8 shillings; he also owned 28 pounds of brass valued at 11 shillings; there was 28 pounds of pewter at 11 shillings and 8 pence; and a brass spit (?) and pestle with assorted candlestick valued at 6 shillings. Also listed were two large metal pots, both weighing 74 pounds which we might assume, because of their very heavy weight, were smelting pots used in the metal smith trade. They also may have been used in making candles, a concept which fits with the evidence of candlestock in his death inventory. Metal smiths in colonial Virginia often were employed in fabricating a multitude of candlestick holders used for lighting in colonial homes. Many of these were made of pewter such as we see in Ralph Blankenship’s death inventory or personal possessions. It would seem logical perhaps that a man who made candlesticks might also produce candlestock for them and that is something we also see on his inventory of goods surveyed following his death. During the colonial era these metal smiths were invaluable craftsmen as they would fabricate hinges for doors and gates, nails, metal brackets, pewterware for plates and drinking vessels, metal farm implements and, of course, they made horseshoes, and a great many other things of importance and value. The metal smith therefore was a valuable skilled craftsman and for this reason his importance was heightened. There just were not many of them in early colonial America. If Ralph really was a metal smith and I had a metal detector, I would bet a dollar to a doughnut I could find metallic scraps or fabricated metal devices somewhere in the area where he once lived north of Swift Creek and just north of Conjuror’s neck. A map and aerial view of Ralph Blankinships homestead can be viewed at my web site at http://expage.com/blankenshiporigins.

We also see that Ralph Blankenship had listed on his death inventory 1,004 pounds of tobacco worth 4 pounds, 5 shillings and 4 pence or about $20.00 colonial dollars. The tobacco undoubted was not physically present but was simply a warehouse receipt, which had the equivalence of paper money commonly used in Virginia during that era. Dollar equivalency to the English pound did not come into being until later in the 18th century. An English pound or a dollar in colonial times did not, therefore, have the same meaning, in terms of value, as it would today. The barter system was widely used during this period. So a colonial dollar might have been equivalent to three days salary when Ralph Blankenship was alive. An annual income of about $100 per annum was about average in during the 1700’s and by the 1800’s the annual income in America was about $200 per annum. We therefore should look at colonial era money in terms of a unit of labor, or how long it would take a man or a woman to grow, harvest, dry and cure 1,000 pounds of tobacco. We know that in 1714 one thousand pounds of tobacco was worth about five English pounds and that a sow and her four piglets was then worth one pound, 3 shillings (or about five colonial dollars). A horse in 1714 was worth about one and a half English pounds (or about seven colonial dollars). At least that is what the pigs and the horse that Ralph Blankinship owned were worth at the time of his death. The total amount of Ralph Blankinship’s estate at his death was 26 English pounds and 6 pence. This amount is recorded for him in Henrico County order book, dated April 15, 1714, page 277. His inventory would have had a colonial era value of about $115.00 dollars. So we can see from this that following his death he left to his family the equivalent in cash value of about one year in wages. If we use an average annual income in the U.S. today of approximately $30,000 you can see that Ralph certainly did not die a pauper. If he had left a will (which has never been found) then his estate undoubtedly would have included any land he may have acquired during his lifetime and which his family would have inherited. The following document is all that we know of the land that Ralph left to his wife Martha:

Book 12, page 15 of the “Patents from Land Office” ** states as follows:

“TO: Martha Blankinship 250 acres of land in Henrico County on south side of James River, bordering land of Henry WaltholI, 20 shillings and importation of one person.”

The document is dated July 9, 1724, some ten years after Ralph Blankinship died. The land of Henry Walthol was located in Bristol Parish on the north side of Swift Creek. It is likely, due to English custom of that era, that Ralph also would have given fairly equal distribution of land to his sons. I believe that he left land to his sons but without a will or other documentation this cannot be confirmed with certainty. In any case Martha Blankinship, on August 7, 1723, gave 100 acres of land to her sons John and Ralph. After Martha’s second husband Edward Stanley died in 1726 Martha an gave 200 additional acres of land to her son William. This presumably came out of her inheritance following the death of her second husband Edward Stanley. It can be shown that Ralph and Martha’s sons later owned considerable land in Henrico County during the early to mid-1700’s.
(** Blankenship Family History” Col. Leslie Blankenship, page 19 of first edition)

--------------------

Conversion of Colonial era currency (prior to 1776)

1 English pound £ = 20 shillings (s) = 240 pence (d)
12 pence = 1 shilling
1 Colonial Dollar = 4 shillings and 6 pence (circa 1770)
1 Colonial shilling = about 1 penny

Therefore one English pound £ = about 1/5 Dollar or 22 cents or 0.22 Dollars
$100 colonial dollars = 22 English pounds
100 English pounds = $454.5 colonial dollars

A PONDERABLE ISSUE

Did Richard Kennon know of the Blankinship clan in England or know something of his family name? Was it for this reason that Ralph was somehow selected by Paggen to work with Kennon in Virginia? We know from the well-documented Kennon family history that Richard Kennon made somewhat frequent trips to England. He, not unlike other early Virginia aristocrats, had the financial means to afford such Atlantic crossings in pursuit of business interests. The fact that Ralph Blankenship settled on a small piece of land only a few hundred yards from the Kennon estate on Conjurer’s Neck may suggest his possible familiarity or even family ties to Blenkinship kin in England. I’ll try to explain this further.

The surname Kennon is really quite unique in England. There are fewer than 18 Kennons noted in the English BMD archives during the period 1838 to about 1930. SEE: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) The sample population of Kennons I extracted from this database represents 6% of the total number of English men and women included in 19th century civil registration database available to researchers in early 2001. This very small number of Kennons in England sharply contrasts with several hundred Blenkinships and Blenkinsops, which also are very unique surnames. However, the name PAGGEN, who was Kennon's London based partner, does not even appear during this same 19th century civil registration period so we must assume it is a variant spelling for PAGEN. Even so, Pagen is so rare a surname that during this same 100-year period we find only three individuals with the surname Pagen. Again , by contrast, the equally rare surname BLENKINSHP appears about 30 times and there are several hundred BLENKINSOPs listed for this time span in which only 6% of the total registrants currently are databased.

When we examine the geographic distribution of the surname Blenkinship and Blenkinsop we find that 80% of the people with this name are located in the four northernmost Counties of England, namely Cumberland/Westmoreland, Northumberland, Durham and Lancaster. Cumberland and Westmoreland Counties were combined to become Cumbria in 1974. Of this tally, 80% of both Blenkinships and Blenkinsops distributed in the northernmost Counties of England some 85% of Blenkinships were located in Cumberland alone. The distribution of Blenkinsops in these northernmost Counties were split about 60 % in County Durham and 30% in Northumberland and perhaps another 10% in Cumberland in the areas of Penrith and Carlisle with a very few in Kendal. So we know very well the distribution of Blenkinships and Blenkinsops in northern England. A detailed graphic showing this distribution of Blenkinships and Blenkinsops can be found at my website. You’ll also find there a map of England showing the distribution of the surname Kennon and Paggen (or Pagen).

What about the distribution of the Kennon and Pagen surnames in England? Although the sample number of Kennons currently listed in the BMD database is small at this time, we find that about 60% of the Kennons were from Cumberland or northern England. Several were from Cockermouth in Cumberland and it is this same general area in which the Blenkinships also were clustered during the 1800’s. Of the three listed Pagens in the BMD database one lived in Cumberland and the other two were dispersed around England. Until the BMD database is much more complete this analysis of the distribution of Pagens and Kennons will have to await further analysis. However, the first look at this data is suggestive that we may find that the Kennons were from northwestern England, in the area of Cumberland where the Blenkinships once lived. This analysis may later lead to some kind of clan affiliation between the Kennons and the Blenkinships. We don’t know but it can be the subject of further inquiry. Further investigation is obviously required. It is my theory that clan alliances were very much at work during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Given this, a man would much prefer to hire or associate with a fellow clansman or person from his neck of the woods, so to speak.

WHO WERE THESE KENNONS IN COLONIAL AMERICA?

Hotten's "Original Lists of Emigrants"** shows that the ship Truelove of London, sailed on 10 June 1635 from Gravesend (20 miles east of London) bound for Bermuda; the passenger list included the names of Richard Cannon, 24 years old, and "Elizabeth Cannon, age 23." It is considered very probably by historians that they were the immigrant ancestors of the Kennon family from whom Richard Kennon (husband of Elizabeth Worsham) is descended.. The mention of Bermuda in the historical archives may possibly be in reference to Bermuda-100 on the upper James River in Virginia, rather than the Island of Bermuda in the Atlantic Ocean. In 1635 the Island of Bermuda was still very lightly populated and had only begun receiving its first permanent inhabitants 15 years earlier.
(** http://www.primenet.com/~langford/spls/635be002.htm#Truelove )

At any rate, no record in existence shows the presence of Richard and Elizabeth Canon in Bermuda following the 1635 voyage of the ship “Truelove.” So the ship manifest showing Bermuda as the Kennon’s destination may very well have referred to Bermuda Hundred in Virginia. Richard Kennon the elder and his wife Elizabeth are very clearly in Virginia by 1637. (SEE: http://www.bermuda-online.org/history.htm). We see from the historical archives that as early as 1637 a surgeon by the name Richard Kennon was living in Lower Norfolk County, Virginia. This was once known as Portsmouth but today is the City of Chesapeake**. It was about 60 southeast of where they later would end up in Bermuda Hundred along the James and Appomattox Rivers.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vagenweb/county2.htm

The Lower Norfolk County records contain the following legal proceedings: "At a court holden, the Lower County of Norfolk the 10th January 1637 - Whereas it doth appear that William Julian doth stand indebted unto Richard Kennon, chircurgeon (surgeon), in the quantity of 700 weight of tobacco in leaf. It is therefore ordered that the aforesaid William Julian shall, within ten days after the date hereof, pay the afore said sum of tobacco or else execution to be awarded.

From the book “Colonial families of the Southern States of America - The Bolling Family, page 72 we learn:

Col. John Bolling III, of "Cobbs, Virginia," the eldest son of Hon. Robert Bolling, of "Kippax," by his first wife, Jane Rolfe, b. [p.72] Jan. 27, 1676; d. April 20, 1729. He was a staunch and liberal supporter of the Established Church, and a member of the House of Burgesses; married Mary Kennon, daughter of Dr. Richard and Elizabeth (Worsham) KENNON, of "Conjurer's Neck," Dr. Richard Kennon, who was a distinguished member of the House of Burgesses, from Henrico Co. John BOLLING was an Englishman of fortune, who settled in the Colony prior to 1670, and whose family received grants of upward of 50,000 acres.

The information below is from the KENNON Rootsweb archives and relates to Richard Kennon, II who transported Ralph Blankinship to America in 1686/7. You later will see that Kennon married into the Worsham family line from Bermuda Hundred where he owned and operated his warehouse and supply depot. We know that almost a hundred years after Ralph Blankinship’s arrival in Viriginia in 1686/87 that Molly and Fanny Worsham (daughters of Drury Worsham) married the two cousins Jesse and Abel Blankenship in 1781 and 1782. Around 1806 both Jessie and Able migrated with their families from Chesterfield County, VA into Cumberland County, KY. I have not yet determined if there is an earlier Worsham-Blankenship connection that possibly fits into the Kennon family tree.

Richard Kennon, or Cannon as the name was pronounced and sometimes spelled, was as noted earlier, a merchant resident at Bermuda Hundred as early as 1680. In 1685, he was a business agent and attorney for William Paggen, a merchant of London, who had extensive trade with Virginia. To provision his storehouse at Bermuda, Kennon visited England repeatedly. Where he visited we don’t know. He married Elizabeth Worsham, daughter of William Worsham and his wife Elizabeth. (Henrico Co. Records.) Richard Kennon’s mother-in-law Elizabeth Worsham married a second time to Lt. Col. Francis Eppes (son of Lt. Col. Francis Eppes, the immigrant). In a grant of land to Francis Eppes in 1680 the latter was allowed to count Richard Kennon eight times. It was the policy of Virginia at the time to encourage immigration by allowing 50 acres of land for every time a person passed into Virginia, and it would seem from this grant that Kennon crossed the Atlantic Ocean as many as eight times prior to 1680. Richard Kennon was the justice for Henrico in 1683.

In 1686 Capt. William Randolph ** (b 1651 in Yorkshire, Eng. D. 1711 in Henrico Co., VA) and Mr. Richard Kennon were paid as burgesses for 32 days. On June 1, 1686 Richard Kennon made a power of attorney to his brither-in-law, Mr. John Worsham. The preamble of the deed stated that Richard Kennon was then was about to sail again to Europe. This departure date for Kennon was only about two to three months after Ralph Blankinship first arrived in Henrico Co. In 1691 Kennon made a deed of gift to his children Mary, Elizabeth, Martha, William and Sarah. Kennon’s will was proved in Henrico Co., August 20, 1696 following his death.. It is possible, and perhaps likely, that if Richard Kennon's name can be found on a ship manifest for 1686 that this may, in fact, be the same ship Ralph Blankenship traveled on when he arrived in Virginia. It also is possible that Kennon, and perhaps Pagen (or Paggen) may have owned shares in such a ship as was the custom for wealthy import/export merchants of that day.
**( http://www.mindspring.com/~kandiandi/randolph.htm )
** (http://www.psnw.com/~concord4/Randolph.htm )

MORE ON THE BIOGRAPHY AND HISTORY OF RICHARD KENNON

Worham family history
http://members.tripod.com/~Randy_T/index-14.html

Richard Kennon's wife was Elizabeth "Betty" Worsham, born: 1651 in Henrico Co., Virginia, and died: 1743 in that same County. She married Richard Kennon in 1682. The children of Richard Kennon and wife Elizabeth Worsham were: Nancy, William, Elizabeth, Martha, Mary and Judith

We further learn from the Kennon historical archives that Richard Kennon married Elizabeth Worsham whose parents came to Virginia sometime around 1650.. She was the daughter of William Worsham (b, 1619) from Devon, in Nottinghamshire, England. William’s wife was Elizabeth Littlebury. William and Elizabeth married in Charles City, Virginia 17 miles east of where Ralph Blankenship would reside after he arrived in America in 1686/87. William Worsham's wife Elizabeth was born in 1623 in Henrico Co., Virginia. William Worsham died in 1661 in Henrico Co., Virginia. His wife Elizabeth died on September 23, 1678 at Bermuda Hundred, Henrico Co. at the Worsham family residence on the Appomattox River. This was six miles east of where the Richard Kennon and Ralph Blankenship lived some 10 years later.

As stated earlier, Richard Kennon, II was born in Virginia in 1640, the son of Richard and Elizabeth Kennon. This was about five years after his parents immigrated to America from England. He died in 1696 at Conjuror's Neck about 1/2 mile from where Ralph Blankinship lived at that time. So Ralph Blankinship’s benefactor Richard Kennon, II preceeded him in death by 18 years. Ralph’s homestead was located where Swift Creek meets the Appomattox River which was about ½ mile north of the Kennon summer estate which we presume Ralph helped to construct. This area today is in the northeastern outskirts of Colonial Heights, Virginia. A street named Kennon can be found within the present day residential community at Conjurer's Neck. The street name serves as a reminder of the man who once owned this land during the late 1600's. As noted earlier, Richard Kennon was a Justice in the House of Burgess for a short period of time. He also was a well to do English aristocrat and so we often see the letters MD following his name. There is no mention of him being a doctor so we may assume that this is reference to an honorary title of MD because we further see his name also mentioned as Colonel Richard Kennon. Such honorary titles during the colonial era were given as a mark of distinction and high respect. These titles were conferred as an honor without the usual adjunct of earned degrees or military rank. I assume therefore that Richard Kennon was neither a colonel in the military nor a medical doctor. Richard was a landed gentleman, a successful businessman, and a merchant registered in the colony of Virginia. His primary income presumably came from his import and resale business where he owned and operated a warehouse facility at Bermuda Hundred. The name Bermuda Hundred (or Bermuda-100) comes from the fact that whenever there was an assemblage of 100 people within certain boundary confines it became a taxation unit under the colonial laws of Virginia. The other Englishmen and their dependents who were living with Kennon on Berumuda Hundred just one year prior to his death were identified in a 1695 tax record as follows:

Martin Elam, 6
Abrah Childers, 2
Thomas Shippey, 3
Richard Morish, 6 (Morris ??)
Edward Stratton, Jr, 3
John Howard, 2
Samuel Knibb, 2
William Theobald, 1
Fra Epes, 9
Robert Woodson, 5
Joseph Royall, 3
John Woodson Sr, 3
Mrs Isham's, 6 (Probably Mary Royall Isham (168-1735)
John Woodson Jr, 2
George Browninge, 5
John Pleasants, 13
Mr Kennon, 3 ******** (Richard Kennon, wife and dau)
John Ball, 1
John Worsham 4
Edward Goode, 1
Edward Lester, 1
Henry Brazeel, 1
Mr. Epes
John Greenbaugh, 1
Ben Hatcher, 1
Williamm Hews, 1

Those living in nearby Turkey Island north of Hopewell and extended environs in 1695 are listed as follows:

TURKEY ISLAND
Lewis Watkins, 1
Mr. Richardd Cocke, 5
Tho Holmes,1
Captain William Randolph 5 (b. 1650, d. 1711)
Sally Indian 1
Giles Carter 6
John Aust 2 44
Thomas Cocke 8 Mr.
Ben Hatcher
John Gunter 2
William Humphreys. 2
Anthony Tall 1
Thomas Newcomb 1
John Lewis 3
Peter Ashbrook 3
Henry Watkins 3
Williamm Baugh 5
Robert Evans 3
Thomas Burton 1
Peter Harris 1
Richard Lygon 1
Thomas East 1
Abraham Womecke 2
Edward Bowman 3
Mrs Skermes 3
Captain Randolph
Mr Henry Lounds 3
Williamm Clerke 3
Thomas Poulden 4
Thomas Webster 1
Gilbert Elam Sr 5
Thomas Gregory 1
Henry Gee 2
Mrs Chandler 5
John Bowman 2
John Willson Sen 1
Tim Allen 1
John Willson Jun 2
Mr Gilbert Platt 5
Richardd Dobbs 1
Nich Dison 1
Thomas Fitzherbert 4
Richard Lygon
John Farloe 1 [Farley?]
Peter Rowlett 3
George Worsham 3 ***
Peter Field 7
Ess Bevill 4
Charles Fetherstone 3
Thomas Batte 4
John Baugh 3
John Davis 1
Major Chamberlaine 4
Godf Ragsdale 1 servt. 1
Richd Holmes 1
William Dodson 1
James Gates 1
James Francklin 1
Thomas Puckett 2
Charles Clay 1 *** (Neighbor of Ralph Blankenship)
John Puckett 1
John Steward 4
William Beven 3
Thomas Wells 2 44
Mrs Morris 3
Essex Bevill
Thomas Lockett 1
Evan Owen 1
George Freeman 1
Col. William Byrd 20
Mrs Lygon 2
William Dany 2
William Lygon 3
John Goode 4
Robert Mann 1
Edward Jones 2
Hancocke 1
Edwardd Deely 2
James Eakin 2
Henry [Preut?] (or Pruitt?) 1
Williamm Puckett 2
Williamm Blackman 2
Gilbert Jones 1
Henry Sherman Sr. 1
Peter Field
Richardd Pierce 1
Richardd Ward Sr. 5
John Ellis 1
George Archer 2
Col. William Byrd
William Harris 2

Richard Kennon's wife was Elizabeth "Betty" Worsham, born: 1651 in Henrico Co., Virginia, and died: 1743 in that same County. She married Richard Kennon in 1682. The children of Richard Kennon and wife Elizabeth Worsham were: Nancy, William, Elizabeth, Martha, Mary and Judith

--------------------------
THE SURNAME KENNON FOUND IN ENGLAND

CUMBERLAND, ENGLAND

Births Sep 1853

Kennon Hannah Cockermouth 10b 402 jbee

Births Mar 1870

Marriages Dec 1871

Kennon Jane Cockermouth 10b 828 John_Pain

STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND

Births Mar 1870

KENNON Cornelius W. Bromwich 6b 761 jverge

LONDON, ENGLAND