Search for content in message boards

Francois Pierre Boehm:Hessen Darmstadt,Germany>St Louis, MO,USA>New Orleans, LA>Oroville,CA

Replies: 10

Re: Francois Pierre Boehm:Hessen Darmstadt,Germany>St Louis, MO,USA>New Orleans, LA>Oroville,CA

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 11:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Louise: We are definitely but distantly related. Here is an excerpt from my Fleck Family History:

Mary Schwendel Fleck had a cousin whose maiden name was Magdalena Schwendel (not to be confused with Mary’s mother, Madge, whose married name was also Magdalena Schwendel). This Magdalena (1807-1890) was the daughter of Pancratious Schwendel, mentioned above in our dialog with the German genealogist. Magdalena married Francois Pierre Boehm in Rheinhessen, Hesse, July 27, 1830. They had two children born to them in Darmstadt: Francois Joseph (born 1831) and Lisette (born 1837). They immigrated to America, and their third child, Peter, was born in St. Louis in 1842. At some point, Magdalena and the three children relocated to New Orleans, where all four lived out their days, while her husband went to California. Perhaps it is a coincidence, but the California gold rush was in 1849. Francois Pierre Boehm died in Oroville in the Gold Country in 1858. Their daughter Lisette married William Siebold and they lived in New Orleans.

My Dad, in his Commentary on his Genealogical Table of the Fleck Family, told of a visit to the Siebolds when he was twenty years old. He was convinced there was

"… a very definite relationship [to] the Siebold Family, located in New Orleans, LA. This was brought to light in 1921, by Raymond A. Fleck, Sr., at the time of his personal visit to their home … where he was greeted as their “Cousin.”

The elderly couple, mother and father of the Siebolds’ three daughters, were referred to by Raymond A. Fleck, Sr., as “Aunt and Uncle”. This elderly couple was well into their 90s and were senile. They were taken care of by a powerfully built, tall black woman, who had been a slave, and a retainer in the family since that period. There were also one or two sons, who did not live at home with the family.

The elderly couple was probably William Siebold and his wife, Lisette Boehm, granddaughter of Pancratious Schwendel. In the same Commentary Dad noted

There is a letter to the writer from my cousin Lucille [Roesch] Stapleton which is part of the genealogical files, which has a bearing on the Siebold branch of the family. The letter is undated, but was received in the 1950s. It says in part:

“I am laboriously making copies of the family genealogy, most of which information was gathered by Dr. Herman Siebold, one of the New Orleans cousins. His mother was related to grandma Fleck. Incidentally her [grandma's] name was Mary Schwendel.”

------

Louise, I would be interested any of the particulars about Francois Pierre Boehm's intinerary from St. Louis to Oroville. Did he go with his wife and three children to New Orleans before going to California? Your post indicates the Gold Rush was his motivation for leaving them. What do you have on his experiences there? You mention his death in a fire. -- I beienve I can come up with a picture of his father-in-law Pancratious Schwendel and his wife's cousin Mary (Anna Maria) Schwendel Fleck.

Raymond Fleck, Jr. (Our Ancestry account is in my wife's name.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ADaroca6703 24 Aug 2002 4:34PM GMT 
bpboehm 21 Jul 2008 2:02PM GMT 
ADaroca6703 28 Feb 2012 10:58PM GMT 
ADaroca6703 31 Mar 2012 1:43AM GMT 
cwb9087 26 Feb 2012 5:54PM GMT 
ADaroca6703 28 Feb 2012 10:55PM GMT 
ancestors1943 28 Feb 2012 11:18PM GMT 
ADaroca6703 31 Mar 2012 1:47AM GMT 
Dorothy and R... 31 Aug 2012 5:41AM GMT 
ADaroca6703 1 Sep 2012 7:16PM GMT 
per page