Search for content in message boards

Eastern Cherokee Ancestry - Boggs

Replies: 2

Eastern Cherokee Ancestry - Boggs

Bob Gardner (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2001 2:39AM GMT
My local library has a set of 9 volumes of the Cherokee By Blood - Records of Eastern Cherokee Ancestry in the U.S. Court of Claims 1906-1910, a compilation by Jerry Wright Jordan. In volume 3, pp. 406-407 is this entry from 1908:
#7080 - Ed Boen - Lawson, Mo.
Rejected. Applicant claims through mother, Phoebe Boggs, 71 years old and born in Kentucky. Her ancestors were probably living in Kentucky in 1835. Mother nor grandfather never enrolled. The great-grandfather lived in Kentucky in 1835 and was not a party to the treaties of 1835-36 and 1846. (Misc. Test. P.3900)
Misc. Test. P. 3900, #7080 - Ed Boen:
"I am about 51 years of age. I claim my Indian blood through my mother. My father is a white man. My mother derived her Indian blood from her father. My mother is 71 years of age, and still living at Berea, Kentucky, she was born and raised in Madison Co. Ky., and her father was also born and raised there. My mother's father was born along about 1815 or 1816. I don't know whether my mother's father ever lived with the Indians as a member of the tribe, my mother never did. My mother nor her father were never on any Indian roll that I know of. Neither my mother nor her father ever received any land or money from the Government by reason of their Indian blood. This is the only application I ever made for any Indian benefits. I don't know whether my Mother made application to the Dawes Commission or not. My wife is a white woman. My great-grandfather's name was JAMES BOGGS. He moved to Kentucky with the first settlers. He was not party to the treaty of 1835, he was living in Ky. in 1835, but he had a brother named JOHN BOGGS who was a party to that treaty, and one of the commissioners that went to Washington City. We all suppose that JOHN came West with the Indians when they made their big immigration West. JAMES and JOHN BOGGS were said to be half-blooded Cherokees. At the present time I am recognized as a white man in the community where I live, and my Mother is recognized as a white woman." Signed, Ed Boen, Excelsior Springs, Mo. Oct. 23, 1908

Now, the Phoebe Boggs that married a Boen was Phoebe Ann Boggs who married James McWilliams Boen in Madison Co. Ky. in 1855. This Phoebe Boggs was the daughter of Edward Cornelison Boggs and Elizabeth Jane Woods. This Edward Boggs was born Sept. 1814, which is close to the 1815-1816 in the Ed Boen narrative above. Edward's father, who would have been Ed Boen's great-grandfather was indeed a James Boggs, b. 1793 d. 1858 who married Phoebe Cornelison. James had a brother John b. 1809 in Madison Ky. that married a Polly Tomlin. This would be the John Boggs that signed the treaty of 1835. James and John's father was also named James, b. 1747 in Delaware and died 1820 in Madison Ky. He married Sarah or Sallie Wynn. James was the son of Robert Boggs who was born in County Donegal, Ireland around 1712.

I have seen messages in this forum and in Genforum that tells of two Boggs groups..one from Ireland and one that came from the Carolinas. The one from the Carolinas was supposed to be the ones with the Cherokee connection. Based upon what I submit above, I think the two groups are connected. Also, this may disprove the theory that the James L. Boggs of Lawrence County Ky., the one who brought his family from Virginia was the one with the Cherokee connection...that the James Boggs who was part Cherokee was from the branch that came to Ky. from Delaware.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bob Gardner 20 Mar 2001 9:39AM GMT 
bonnieboggs49 28 Jun 2006 5:03AM GMT 
rperkins 1 Dec 2006 8:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic