Search for content in message boards

Louisa Boomer Wallace Jefferson Co. NY 1820-1896

Replies: 0

Louisa Boomer Wallace Jefferson Co. NY 1820-1896

Posted: 3 Jun 2007 12:56PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Boomer Wallace Chamberlain
The following letter was written to the Jefferson County Journal by J.D. Chamberlain of Rochester after reading of the death of Louisa Boomer Wallace of Ellisburg NY. I connect through her husband Charles R Wallace. I have scanned graphic of the newspaper so please contact me if you are interested in this line.

Mrs. Louisa Boomer Wallace

Rochester May 15,’96

ED. Journal – Dear Sir: Recently, while looking through the local columns Of the Journal for items of interest, my eyes stopped at an item in the obituary column, which brought sadness to my Mind in the death of Mrs. Wallace, by heart failure, added 78 years, at the home of her daughter in Antwerp. I could hardly realize that the last one of a large and happy family, my early associates, had gone, and nothing left but the cold marble and superscriptions to commemorate their earthly existence. Her father and my father’s farms joined and our homes were within speaking distance. I knew here well both in youth, mature womanhood, and later as a devoted loving wife and mother.

Louisa Boomer Wallace was the daughter of the late Collins Boomer; being left at an early age without a mother, the eldest of seven children and the youngest only one week old, the cares of a mother, as well as a loving sister, dropped upon her tender shoulders. Being ambitious and possessing a strong constitution
she, notwithstanding her numerous home duties found the time to cultivate her mind and prepare herself for the duties of her life, by going through the schools of that day and graduating with honors from the Union Academy.

Possessing a cheerful disposition, fluent in conversation, quick at repartee, she was the center of social circles and her hand was quickly sought in matrimony, but Charles R. Wallace, a young aspirant for the ministry, was the lucky one, and on the 14th of March 1843, during one of the worst blizzards old Ellisburg ever experienced, down the highway came a lonely horse an cutter; upon the seat wrapped in robes, was the widowed mother, while tramping behind to keep the cutter right side up, was a tall, slim young man with a long flowing beard frozen stiff with the blinding snow. Reaching our home completely exhausted and nearly frozen, his mother was induced to stop and go later with my people, while he bravely pushed on and perseveringly reached the side of his intended bride, and there amid smiles within while the storm raged without, two hands and hearts were made as one, not of a month or a year, but for life, and 46 years they walked hand in hand through sunshine and shadow, prosperity and adversity, helping to bear each other’s burden until Dec 20th 1889, when Chas. R. Wallace, at the ripe age of 79 years, mourned by scores of warm and true friends, gave up the journey of life and crossed over the river.
Their married life was blessed with six daughters – Mrs. Edgbill and Mrs. Green of Watertown; Miss Jennie L. and Helen E, of Buffalo; Mrs. O.W. Hall of Antwerp; and Anna L. who was visiting her sister and caring for her mother, was suddenly taken ill with acute pneumonia, and in four days after her mother’s death followed her to the other shore, where visiting never ends and pain and suffering is not known. She was laid beside the mother she loved at the Roberts Corners cemetery, where their kindred rest that had gone before.
I shall never forget the visit that loveable young lady made at my home a few months ago, and as she sat at the piano head erect and fingers deftly passing across the keys, those sweet trained tones of voice would still every room, and even passing out upon the street causing a passer-by to linger, until dozens had gathered and refused to move on until the last sweet note had been wafted away upon the gentle breezes of that June evening. How sad it seems that one so well adapted to entertain and benefit the human family should early be called to that clime where music is continuous and harmony perfect.

Early in life Mrs. Wallace sought and found Him of whom Moses and the prophets wrote, and joined the M. E. Church; she always proved faithful to the church of her choice; no prayer meeting, no class-meeting or love-feast was complete without her evidence on the Lord's side, and frequently she would go miles to attend camp-meetings-and assist in reclaiming the fallen and show them the narrow way. She has gone over to the tents on the eternal camping ground, but this world is better that she was born, that she lived to a good old age,and although her earthly existence has ended, the example and influence of her devotion to her family and friends, the purity of her Christian character will continue to bear fruit and benefit not only the present but generations to come.
J. D. Chamberlain

Source: Jefferson County Journal, Adams N.Y. May 19, 1896, Vol. 28 No. 11 Page 1

Find a board about a specific topic