Search for content in message boards

Jesse Bowen's Will

Replies: 0

Jesse Bowen's Will

Gerald C Bowen (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Bowen, Anderson, Gilliam, Peters, Yowman, Kane, Smythe, Harmon, Durham
In my papers I ran across the following document which some of you may find of interest. Please consider that there are several spelling errors, but consider the time and the probable education.
I am copying just as they were written as much as I can:
Deed Book 7. Page 109. Scott Co. Va

Jesse Bowen, of Scott Co. Va, for and in Consideration, of the natural love and affection whi i bear to Flavilla, Jason Yowman, - Henry Kane- Enoch Smythe, - and William Harmon, being Children and heirs of Sally Durham, who is an unmarried Woman, as well as for the further sum of one dallar to men in hand paid by the said children above mentioned being the heirs of Sally Durham, at and before the sealing and delivery of these Presents ----Which children i consider to be y own though not legal heirs of my property and estate. The following Propert ---, to children who are not of age 64 acres land in Scott Co. land k now occupy, 100 acres on waters of StockCsreek, 100 acres adjoining land I occupy, 50 acres adjoining Ilisha Walling, 5 head of horses, 7 head of Cattle, 75 Hogs, 2 Sheep 37 geese, all lousehold and kitchen furniture. Crop of Corn Standing in field, all oats, all flax, all Irish Potatoes, and turnips, farming utensils, one man's daddle 2 spinning wheels, 25 lbs wool. To hold forever against the Claim or Claims of the said Jesse Bowen and his heirs and all other persons Whomsoever.

Dated 10 Nov 1842. Recorded 15 Nov 1842

I have the following info re. Jesse's second family mentioned in the
above will:

The Sally mentioned in the will was Sarah H. Durham, b. 1809 in
Washington Co. Va and d. 1899 in Hancock Co. Tenn. She was buried on
farm of her son William in Hancock Co. TN at Wallens Bend. Her father
was Isaac B. Durham; her mother was Elizabeth Baldwin.
The children were:
Flavillia, b. 1833, married 1st Winfield Carter, 2nd Zachdiah Minor
Jason Yowman, b. 12-2-1835, d. 18-2-1889, m. Ruth Ann Lee b. 6-12-1830,
d. 22-5-1916
Henry Kane, b. 1837, died young
Enoch Smyth b. 9-6-1838, d. 9-11-1910, m. Martha Jane Wallen
William Harmon b. 3-5-1841, d. 23-4-1915, m. Nancy Yerby Moneyhon
Johana Caroline b. 1843, d. 1872, m. Samuel Perry Catron
Sylvania b. 1847, m. 1st Tom Anderson, 2nd Tillman Peters
John P. b. 1949, m. Jane Lee
Eboline b. 1851, d. 1869, m. Isaac Gilliam.
(note: there was another daughter, I think, by the name of Elizabeth, b. 1847, but I can't verify)

I have been told, and consider this for what it's worth, that most of the children whom Jesse sired with Sarah took the Bowen name.

Find a board about a specific topic