Search for content in message boards

William Bowen Family Ohio / born PA 1797

Replies: 0

William Bowen Family Ohio / born PA 1797

Posted: 16 Mar 2008 5:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I'm stuck on one Bowen family in Ohio 1850 census.
Father is William Bowen aged 54, Born in PA
mother is Mercy (??) aged 41. Born in PA
Children are: (in 1850)
Mary age 15 (Born in Ohio for all kids)
George age 13
Stiles (actual name is Danforth Stiles Bowen) age 11
Samuel age 9
James age 7
William H. age 5
Clark age 3

I know a great deal about this family as I have somelettters from 1864/5 to Mary bowen then living in Cardington, Morro3w county Ohio from James B who is in the Civil War and who then became a POW at Andersonville. Danforth S (Stiles) also died inthe Civil War.

The family however, even before the Civil War is MIA in the census -- the parents are nowhere to be found unless William moved away but Mercy the mother is not anywhere in the census nationwide that I have found and they are not as a family in the same area. The closest I have found besides knowing that at least two of the sons were in the Union War Ohio 43rd Regiment it appears that the younger boys Samual and William may be living with other Bowen relatives in Ohio (although they could be those parents real kids too... I don't know) and Clark could be living in Western NY with other Bowen relatives although again this could be the son of the parents Bowen. Since Clark in that other ffamily is listed with a sister 2 years younger and the other children of the Bowen family he is living with are well older than him I'm wondering if perhaps Mercy died in childbirth of a girl and William died young or soemthing leaving Mary at age 18 in charge of the other kids. Whatever -- somethign devestating happened in that fmily and I don't know what it was other than the two that I knowof who died in the Civil War. I also know that since both parents were born in PA that the family ties go that way unless other brothrs of the parents decided to homestead in Ohio as well.

Does anyone have a Mary Bowen being married into their family after 1865 perhaps in Morrow County Ohio? any help would be greatly appreciated.

write at tamraburgwardt@yahoo.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions