Search for content in message boards

Bowler family Hyde/Denton/Ashton-Under-Lyne/Cheshire etc. and Bowler hatter in London 1840

Replies: 0

Bowler family Hyde/Denton/Ashton-Under-Lyne/Cheshire etc. and Bowler hatter in London 1840

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 3:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bowler/Bowlar/Bowllar
Hi
was wondering if anyone can help as i have hit a bit of a brick wall.
I am back as far as 1793 for definate with the birth of my 4th Gt Grandfather Samuel Bowler who married in 1814 in Stockport to Jane Grundy. On Samuels IGI result it says for father John Bowler and mother Elizabeth Oldham. I have no date of birth for these 2, cannot locate anything, but i do have their marriage through IGI in 1772, and another one later. It has been suggested by a local Historian that as their first marriage was at Manchester Catherdral in 1772 that maybe they were part of the mass weddings that used to occur there, as maybe Elizabeth was under age.
Anyway as i have no birth details for the 2 i am finding it hard to go back any further without pure guess work, which i don't want do. I have found an IGI record for a John Bowlar born in 1751 Cheshire who has a son called Samuel born the same time as mine, and that lists his father as John Bowlar, and again i found a John Bowlar who has a father called James Bowllar.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!!

Also if anyone knows any history of the Bowler hatters that moved to London in 1840 i would love to know that as well. My Mum says that her Dad (my Grandad) always said that they were related to us in some way. I have them in the 1841 census along with the Uncle William that Thomas developed the hat with. Thomas's mother was called Nancy and i do have Thomas and Nancy with a man who would be husband/father (can't think of his name off the top of my head) but it has been suggested to me that Nancy wasn't married and passed the Bowler name to Thomas that way ie she didn't marry into the family (although on later census reports when she is living with Thomas and family she states herself as a widow)
If anyone knows of Thomas's family background then hopefully i can link them in to my family and prove my Grandfather was correct.

Many thanks in advance for your help, Much appreciated!

Samantha Race (nee Gray)
"my mum was a Bowler"

Find a board about a specific topic