Search for content in message boards

William O. Bowler- Indiana

Replies: 2

Re: William O. Bowler- Indiana

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 6:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Russell,

William O. Bowler was my great-gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather. He was reportedly born in Sherwood Forrest and served as a British soldier in the Revolutionary War under Gen. Burgoyne, but I haven't found any proof for the latter. He reportedly deserted the British Army. He married four times and lived in NH, ME, PA (about 1796), OH (by 1801)and finally Indiana, where he lived with his daughter's family, the Joliffs. He taught school and was known as a poet, writing under the name "The Backwoodsman". His writings were mainly published in newspapers in Williamsburgh and Georgetown, OH. He was a friend of U.S. Grant's father Jesse Grant. "EPISTOLA: - To Mr. Jesse R. Grant, TANNER IN GEORGETOWN." by Backwoodsman, dated November 10, 1826, published in The Castigator, Georgetown, OH on November 23, 1826 and November 30, 1826. This was a humorous greeting to "Jesse R. Grant, my loving friend", perhaps in response to an invitation to visit. Jesse R. Grant responded in "Reply to the Backwoodsman" published in The Castigator, Georgetown, OH on December 14, 1826. William O. Bowler's friendship with Jesse R. Grant was mentioned in "History of Clermont County, Ohio" published 1880, page 163: "He was the personal friend of Jesse R. Grant (himself a poetaster of more than common repute), and usually carried on his correspondence with him in rhymes."

Regards, Kirby
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
russell wilho... 6 Jun 2012 2:57AM GMT 
kirbylaw 9 Jun 2012 12:15PM GMT 
sboler 2 Dec 2012 4:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions