The Braate, perhaps Bradt, family of Bråte, Ostfold, Norway

Replies: 0

The Braate, perhaps Bradt, family of Bråte, Ostfold, Norway

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2012 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Bradt, Braat, Braaten, Putman
Hi,

The Bradt family of America descends from Andrs Braat who had sons Albert and Arent, who was born about 1578, and who married Eve Kinetis, reported. Anders Braat was from Fredrickstadt, Ostfold, Norway. The town of Bråte is just a short distance away.

If you type in the name "Braate" at familysearch.org, the city of Trøgstad,​Ostføld,​Norway, comes up, which is even closer to Bråte.

On another note, I wonder if the name Kinetis is a form of the name Ukyndt,or perhaps Kinde or even Kent, which seem to be a more common in Norway.

Anders Braat was the founder of the Bradt family in the United States and Canada.

As I researched the name Bradt/Braat, I was lead to the spelling Bråte, which apears to be in Norwegian and Swedish a cleared field.

Very interesing to me, is the small town and area in Ostfold northeast of Frederickstadt called Bråte from which I am guessing that the Bradt family originated and develped.

I understand that one origin of the the name Anderson comes from Town of Bråte, Norway, which is a welcomed coincidence since the Bradt family used the name Andriesson early on in our American history.

As the meaning of the name or word Bråte, I understand that it comes from the words "to burn" such as burning the brush and trees from an area to make a cleared field that is afterward used for cultivation. The Swedish word "Bråde means to cut a field, which may have the same root. Bråde also means board, lumber, lumberyard, or timberyard. The early Bradt's in America, the New Netherlands later the New York area, were lumbermen and my Putman family that is connected with the Bradt famliy seems to have also followed that trade particularly in New Jersey and later in Pennsylvania, New York, and then on to Canada and Michigan.

It is my educated guess that our Bradt family is connected with Bråte, Norway, which is located just a bid outside of Fredrickstadt, Norway, and near the Swedish border.

We have a number of Bradt's who have taken a y-DNA test. I think it would be exceptional to have others who are Bråte's, or Braaten's, also to be encouraged to take a y-DNA test. Its the best tool for research, ultimately.

Thanks for reading. I hope what I have written someting that you have found that is interesting about our Bradt family history.

Find a board about a specific topic