Search for content in message boards

BRADY FROM OLD CASTLE, COUNTY MEATH

Replies: 1

BRADY FROM OLD CASTLE, COUNTY MEATH

Posted: 18 Apr 2004 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stritch O'Hanlon Brady Byrne Mahoney Quirke
I am looking for information on the following surnames: Stritch, O’Hanlon, Byrne and Brady.

My grandfather was Patrick James Stritch (my father’s father) from Longford, County Longford, IRE. He was born in 1886 and died in 1959. I’ve been told that he had 13 brothers and sisters. His family may originally be from either county Roscommon or Mayo. It is my understanding that at some time after Patrick and others came to the states; the rest of the family moved to Dublin and opened a jewelry shop.
Patrick’s brother Michael and sisters, Kitty and Birdie, also came to the States. All but Kitty came to the U.S. via Canada and settled in New York City. Kitty came through Ellis Island. One sister, Aggie, went to England.

Patrick married Mary Bridget O’Hanlon (in Queens, NY) from Listowel (?), County Kerry, IRE. She also came to the U.S. via Canada in 1926 (?) and settle in New York City. She was born in 1903 and died in 1968. Mary mothers’ last name was Mahoney and her father was James O’Hanlon (died in 1943). I’ve been told that he was in the fishing industry (wholesale/retail?). Mary’s older sister contracted polio and came to the U.S. with her mother. They were never heard from again. The last known place Mary’s sister was known to be was St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson, Long Island, NY (incidentally, Port Jefferson, Long Island, NY is my home town).

My grandmother on my mother’s side of the family was Julia Mary Byrne from Rathrum, County Wicklow, IRE. She was born 02/08/1907 and died September 1974. Julia also came to the U.S. via Canada and settle in New York City. Julia had 3 sisters (Molly, Margaret and Mona) and one brother, John (never married). Molly (never married) also came to the states, and then moved back to Wicklow, County Wicklow in the early 1970’s. Mona married John Quirke from County Cork.

Julia married my grandfather Bernard Joseph Brady (in Manhattan, New York City) from Old Castle, County Meath, IRE. He was born in 1903 and died in 1958. He also came to the States via Canada and settle in New York City. I have access to a lot of information regarding Bernard’s side of the family, but wouldn’t mind hearing from anyone who is related or has additional information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Barney_Stritc... 18 Apr 2004 10:47PM GMT 
Barney_Stritc... 26 Apr 2004 11:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic