Search for content in message boards

Judge Sylvanus I. BRAGG

Replies: 8

Judge Sylvanus I. BRAGG

Shelby County History (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 1998 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 5 Jun 2004 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: BRAGG, IMGRAW, BALDWIN, MCGREW, STONE, SENARE, MOORE, HENDRON, GALLAGHER, WEST, SIMMONS, TRIPLETT, DEER
JUDGE SYLVANUS I. BRAGG
[Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post Office, Cherry Dell.]

Of an old Virginia family, Mr. Bragg was born in the State, but was reared in Kentucky and has been a resident of Shelby County, Mo., for 40 years. Judge Bragg's parents were Joel and Mary [Imgraw] Bragg, of Lunenburgh County, Va., and he was born there February 11, 1804. In 1812 the family removed to Kentucky, where they resided for nearly 30 years, but pushed on out to Missouri in 1840 and settled in Shelby county, where they lived until their deaths. The father died in 1850 and the mother in 1854. They had a family of five children: Martha, Elizabeth, Sylvanus I., Mary J. and William G.

Sylvanus I. Bragg was reared in Kentucky and was married there to Miss Mary Baldwin in 1831. Nine years later he moved with his family to Missouri in company with his father's family. While in Kentucky he dealt quite extensively in stock and has been engaged in raising stock in this county, as well as farming, ever since his removal here. He has a fine place of 569 acres. In 1856 he was elected a judge of the County Court and served for four years on the county bench.

Judge Bragg's first wife died in March, 1836, and to his present wife he was married in October, 1839. She was a Miss Mary McGrew. By his first wife Judge Bragg had three children: Samuel B., Mary A. and Charles W., only the first of whom is living. By his second wife there are ten children: Leonard, Eliza J., Martha W., Margaret, Sylvanus, John, Robert, James, Lycurgus and William K. Samuel Bragg married Miss Anna E. Stone; Charles W. married Miss Josephene Stone; Leonard married Miss Fannie Senare; Sylvanus married Miss Mary E. Moore; John married Miss Carrie E. Hendron; James married Miss Mary Gallagher; Lycurgus married Miss Della West; William married Miss Dora Simmons; Martha married Elias Triplett; Margaret married Thomas Deer. Judge and Mrs. Bragg are members of the Christian Church.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Shelby County History 23 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Anna Stone Simmons 8 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Mike Anderson 20 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Twyla Salisbury 26 May 2004 7:53PM GMT 
JGray97 7 Aug 2002 6:45PM GMT 
Kathy Vanchieri 15 Nov 2002 4:51AM GMT 
JGray97 15 Nov 2002 7:25PM GMT 
susan bronsto... 27 Oct 2011 1:32PM GMT 
happyoldlady7... 14 Feb 2013 7:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions