Search for content in message boards

DNA

Replies: 2
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BRAGG
I notice that there 8 Bragg DNA results on ysearch.org. But only two on the "official" Bragg surname project at FamilyTreeDNA--the latter seems to have become inactive after about 2005-07. In lieu of an active project posting on ysearch.org (along with a pedigree) is a good way to compare your results to other Braggs.

My grandmother, Estella Bragg, is descended from the New England Bragg family (see the Allied Bragg Families of New England Rootsweb database http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...). Most of those tested appear to be from the southern/Virginia Braggs, and would have a different immigrant ancestor. The New England Braggs descend from an Edward Bragg and his brother Nicholas who were born 1615 and 1616 in Somerset, England; and the "Southern" Braggs descend from a Thomas Bragg, born 1580, who came to Jamestown even earlier, if the online genealogies are accurate (I know this is sometimes a big IF).

My interest is whether these two Bragg families had a common origin/ancestor in England. Has anyone from the New England Braggs been tested? My mother's cousin (surname Bragg) was just tested by 23andme and belongs to y-chromosome haplogroup R1b1a2a1a1b5a or R-M167 (aka R1b1b2a1a2c according to 23andme). One of the folks on ysearch (7335W) also belongs to this haplogroup but descends from the Jamestown Bragg ancestor, so this would suggest the two families are indeed related, but we would need a specific y-chromosome (STR) test to confirm. My uncle claimed that we were "shirttail" relatives of Braxton Bragg, but going back to the 1500's in England would be pretty distance. Is Bragg considered a single- or multiple-origin surname in England?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Steve Belange... 9 Feb 2011 4:22PM GMT 
stewart_bragg 10 Feb 2011 10:31PM GMT 
philritter 25 Jan 2012 11:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic