Search for content in message boards

jacob bradt

Replies: 1

Re: jacob bradt

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 7:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
I believe Jacobs father died in NY, not sure yet.There was a large migration after the end of the revolutionary war, and a greater migration into Mi,OH,IN when the Erie Canal opened in 1825. Not only the Bradt family but many others including my own moved in Mich and western NY. I did find other Bradt families in MI,IN,OH in the 1820-1840 timeframe. Many of these states including Ohio were bounty lands set aside by the continental congress to reward revolutionary war militas for service, and to expand the newly formed county. In many cases it was the children of these Revolutionary war veteraans that claimed the bounty lands in these states to start a new life for the next generation. In most cases the migration did not take place overnight. Jacobs family moved from peresent day Rensselaer county across the Hudson to Wells twp in Hamilton co. Just north of albany. Ten years later he had moved on to Onandaga co,then the next USC finds him in St. Joseph co IN. Somewhere along the way in Ohio daughter Amanda was born (Based on USC records) it also now appears several other as yet unidentifed children were born into the family along the way. This migration also included people from other states including New England and was not limited to people from NY.
The Holland land company seemed to have started the acceleration when they offered lands in Western NY at reasonable prices to encourage settlement and of course make money. Together with the Bounty lands rights and ease of travel with the impending completion of the Eire canal all fueled the migration frenzy.
A quick look at US Censuses from about 1820-1850 shows many common NY family names appearing in the mid western states.
Wayne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sjord888 26 Jul 2008 7:58PM GMT 
V6668lsc 28 Jul 2008 1:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions