Search for content in message boards

Breen of in or near Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland

Replies: 41

Re: Breen of in or near Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
James:
Your gggrandfather William became a very prominent and popular man in Ft. Smith. He had a hardware business,was one of the principals who drilled the first gas well in Fort Smith, based on the many legal papers with his name on then he must have been an attorney, served in the Confederate Army and fought as a member of The Fort Smith Rifles at the Battle of Oak Hill and after the unit disbanded he transfered to the CSA Quartermaster Dept. He was very active in the Confederate Veterans Assn. He built a fine home on Lexington Avenue. He must of been an extremely popular young man as he served as best man at more weddings that I can count.

Actually, Mary died at Roseville, Arkansas just days after the Breen family arrived there on the river boat. They found work there and stayed for about one year before moving on 40 miles upriver and settling permanently in Fort Smith. When they arrived in Roseville the town was a busy riverport but today is almost a ghost town.

I recall Williams obituary stated that William was quoted as saying the family arrived on New Years Day. I am not sure if he meant arriving in Roseville or Fort Smith but my best guess is the former.

Joe Breen and my Dad were close in years as was an uncle. I recall seeing a picture of Joe, my Dad and my Uncle Bill taken at a local military academy which they attended. Joe has three living children. Patricia lives in Arizona, Joe, Jr. lives in Little Rock, Michaele lives in North Little Rock and James died some years back.

The only descendants in Fort Smith carrying the Breen name are all descended from William's brother Patrick.

A few years back my wife and I researched and wrote a book on all of our families.Although we searched the parish records in Gorey on many occasions we could never find the marriage of James Breen & Fanny Breen. After the book we found their marriage in Ballyoughter Parish records which is 6-7 miles south of Gorey. The record is:
BRIEN, James to BARRRET, Fanny
Witnesses: Pat Breen & William Barret
Date: 31 Oct 1824
William Barrett was Fanny's brother. The fact that Pat Breen was a witness is further confirmation that the Patrick Breen(married Margaret "Peggy" Casey) was James' brother and they all lived near each other in Coolnavia Town and served as godparents for each others children. I have communicated with a lady for several years who's husband descended from a Patrick & Margaret "Peggy" who immigrated to Virginia. I think theirs is James' brother but unfornuately she has not yet been successful in finding the confirming records.

Who was your ggrandfather,grandfather & father?

Hopes this information will be helpful and interesting.

Jerry Hendricks
Fort Smith

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JerryHendrick... 7 Aug 2005 5:59PM GMT 
James Edge 3 Sep 2005 4:42PM GMT 
jerryhendrick... 6 Sep 2005 6:14PM GMT 
siobanmullin 17 Nov 2005 12:30AM GMT 
James Edge 17 Nov 2005 9:48PM GMT 
jerryhendrick... 18 Nov 2005 11:52AM GMT 
James Breen 13 Nov 2007 12:28AM GMT 
JerryHendrick... 13 Nov 2007 8:43PM GMT 
James Breen 15 Nov 2007 7:39PM GMT 
JerryHendrick... 15 Nov 2007 9:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions