Search for content in message boards

william brenton

Replies: 1

Charles William Hogg

Posted: 14 Apr 2011 11:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Joy

Thank you for your message. My daughter-in-law had only just brought the paper to me. Yes, Charles William Hogg was my grandfather. My father was 15 when his father was lost at sea. My grandmother died in 1916 just a few hard years afterwards. My father spoke very little about that time but his sister, my aunt, told me more of the effects and efforts made to alleviate them.

There had been a recession in the transatlantic trade and my grandfather, who had been a purser on some Cunard ships for many years felt fortunate to get the job of bedroom steward in the first class section of the White Star Titanic. Most of the better jobs went to Southampton based crew but tips were good in the first class section, so grandfather was glad to take the job.

Thank you again. I read the Daily Post ! I would be interested to know more about the very elderly Smiths of my childhood, if ever you learn more.
Have had to be devious in getting this reply to you as my PC would not allow me to reply directly for some unknown reason.

Kind regards
Charles in Mold
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
joy14551 24 Feb 2009 12:38AM GMT 
CharlesArthur... 14 Apr 2011 5:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic