Search for content in message boards

Wakeman Brooks 1741-1809 Springfield, MA - any info??

Replies: 3

Re: Wakeman Brooks 1741-1809 Springfield, MA - any info??

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Joseph Brooks, b. 1765 in Haddam, CT, was the father of Wakeman Brooks, b. 1790 in Haddam, CT, later of Springfield Twp., Bradford Co., PA. My Joseph Brooks m. abt. 1788 in Haddam, Jemima Shaylor/Shailer/Shailor, d/o Bezaleel Shailor and Susannah Bailey. Other children from this marriage include Rebecca who m. Nehemiah Brainerd, Jr. (they stayed in Haddam); Catharine Shaylor who m. William Ely Mather (eventually migrated to Ashtabula Co., OH); and Jemima who m. Stephen S. Hubbard (eventually settled in Berrien Co., MI). Jemima Shaylor d. abt. 1795, and Joseph m. second Martha Hubbard. Joseph and Martha had several children (don't have the list in front of me).

Family oral history states that Joseph had three brothers, Thomas, David, and (cannot remember the name of the third brother off the top of my head). This same history states that the line started with Thomas Brooks who m. Alice Marah Spencer, d/o Gerard Spencer and Hannah Hills.

Thomas Brooks (founder) m. Alice Marah Spencer>Thomas Brooks (deacon) m. Susannah Arnold>Thomas Brooks (deacon) m. Mary (?)>Thomas Brooks (IV) m. (?)>Thomas Brooks (V), David Brooks, (Son) Brooks, and Joseph Brooks.

Are we speaking about the same Joseph?

I have often wondered if Wakeman Brooks (1741) was somehow connected--maybe his name was actually Thomas Wakeman Brooks? I have never been able to determine who Thomas Brooks (IV) was married to nor have I ever been able to determine if Wakeman Brooks' (1790) had an additional name. In one census (I think it was 1860) Wakeman (1790) was enumerated as Wallace Brooks--one of his grandsons was actually named Wallace.

If you are interested in corresponding, I will go through my papers to find further information.

Lynne B. Howell
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
elizabethbroo... 26 Jun 2004 7:13PM GMT 
LBergquistHow... 16 Apr 2009 3:27AM GMT 
LBergquistHow... 2 Dec 2013 4:15PM GMT 
tributaries 9 Dec 2013 4:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions