Search for content in message boards

James Brooks of Washington County, Ohio

Replies: 15

Re: James Brooks of Washington County, Ohio

Renee Myers (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2006 4:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thelma,
Thank you for offering assistance. This search has been particularly challenging for some reason. I'll first tell what I already know about this family. Several weeks ago I took my grandmother (David Brooks granddaughter) to see her second cousin Cecil Brooks (George Brooks grandson). Cecil is an accomplished gunsmith and is "famous" among gun enthusists and groups like the NRA. Cecil stated that James and Elizabeth Brooks had a total of 22 children. He also told where James Brooks was buried. The site is on land formerly owned by the Brooks in Decatur Township. The land was sold and eventually the township put up a fence around the site since it is located in a cow pasture. Cecil said there was a gravemarker in place. I haven't been to the site yet but plan to. From the Washington County Health Dept. I've obtained the death records of both James and Elizabeth Brooks, James died 1/1/1889 of dehydration, occupation was as a carpenter and Elizabeth died 10/20/1897 of typhoid fever. From their son David Brooks death record, it gives the name Betsy Shayner as his mother. Is Betsy short for Elizabeth? Lastly, from a book called "History of Washington County, Ohio", I found "Brooks, James, age 46, volunteer, August 11, 1862, three years, 92nd regiment, company G, private, served one year, discharged 1863, taken with camp disease and fever, and brought home by his wife".

That's about the extend as to what I know about this family. I would like know more indepth about James and Elizabeth's family. Even more so, I would like to find out who came before; James parents, grandparents, etc., and likewise with Elizabeth. Were the families early colonists? Which countries in Europe did they immigrate from? But really, any additional light you may be able to shine on my search would be appreciated.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with too much information but I'm someone who needs to describe/express in great detail. If there is any information I might be able to share with you, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
Renee
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Renee Myers 24 Aug 2006 12:10PM GMT 
kid_kuz 10 Sep 2006 8:44PM GMT 
Renee Myers 11 Sep 2006 9:48PM GMT 
kid_kuz 12 Sep 2006 2:57AM GMT 
Renee Myers 12 Sep 2006 10:18PM GMT 
kid_kuz 13 Sep 2006 2:47PM GMT 
happymom03 4 Jul 2013 11:20PM GMT 
Gene Hutson 13 Sep 2006 7:35AM GMT 
kid_kuz 13 Sep 2006 2:54PM GMT