Search for content in message boards

Pratt/Brooks SC/NC/GA

Replies: 0

Pratt/Brooks SC/NC/GA

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 5:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have Leonard Marshall Pratt b. 1784 in Chester Co, SC - d. 1870 in Harris Co, GA. He was married to Sara Elizabeth Brooks b. abt. 1792, Warren Co, GA - d. 1844 in Harris Co, GA. They were married in Warren Co in 1809. Their daughter, Mary, married into my Hutchinson line.

I believe this Leonard Marshall Pratt makes his first head of household appearance on the census records in 1820 in Warren Co. He is apparently married with 4 children and is about 36 years of age. A Vincent Pratt is listed on this census and Catherine Brooks (I presume to be the widow of Joab Brooks, d. 1804.), mother of Leonard's wife, Sara Elizabeth, nee Brooks.

There seem to be contradictions to the above information, even in light of the "records". On the 1820 census in Chester Co, SC, there is a Leonard Pratt living next to Llai Pratt (whom I have read is the son of John of Chester Co). There is a John Pratt, Esq., on this same census. My question is: If Llai and Leonard are the sons of John, Esq., who is the father of the Leonard (Marshall) Pratt in Warren Co, GA?

More contraversy: I can find no Pratts or Brooks on the 1810 Warren Co. census, but there are several Brooks in Chatham Co., NC. John and Llai Pratt are the only Pratts I can find on the 1810 Chester Co, SC census. Leonard Marshall Pratt would presumedly be 26 years old at this time. Also, I cannot find Brooks or Pratts on the 1800 Warren Co, GA census, but many Brooks on the Chatham Co, NC census and John and William Pratt on the Chester Co, SC census. William seems to disappear after this census.

On the 1790 Chester Co, SC census, I find John, James and Leonard (disappears after this census) Pratt. There is a William in Abbeville and a Johathan in Newberry.

Is it possible that John and William, of the 1790 and 1800 censuses, are brothers or father and son? Does William die and leave a son Leonard, among other children, and this Leonard is taken into the household of John? This might account for the two Leonards on the 1820 census in GA and SC.

To further complicate things: James of the 1790 Chester Co census disappears, but there is a James on the 1800 Pendleton Co, SC census, then he disapppears.

I hope someone can help unravel this, and any help will be appreciated.

Tootsie Maynard Peck

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions