Search for content in message boards

Peleg Brownell Connections to John Alden ( Mayflower)

Replies: 0

Peleg Brownell Connections to John Alden ( Mayflower)

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear All:

Here is a recent line of ancestors rom Peleg Brownell and Desire Tripp to the Mayflower through John Alden.
Note the comments from Alicia Crane regarding the recent approval of a line from Humphrey Allen to John Alden. That merely leaves the documentation for Susannah Allen.

Best Regards
John A Hansen

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:43 PM
To: jahansen@brigadoon.net
Subject: Re: Peleg Brownell

John,

I meant to say Peleg Brownell married Desire Tripp and was the father of Tillinghast "Brownell" but got "tripped" up.

However, yes, Desire is a daughter of Tillinghast Tripp (as proved by her death record). I hadn't checked the database so missed the Tripp/Allen connection. We have had a lineage filed through Humphrey Allen, though not yet one through his daughter Susannah (Allen) Tripp, but her marriage record in the published vital records of Westport names her father, so that's no problem.

If you'd like to file a new application through this line, the form is on the website (www.alden.org).

Alicia Crane Williams, Genealogist
Alden Kindred of America
(www.alden.org)

Help support the Alden Kin Search Project to locate all one million Alden descendants! Send your tax deductible contribution to Alden Kindred of America, P.O. Box 2754, Duxbury, MA 02331. Please make check payable to "Alden Kindred of America" and designate it for the "Alden Kin Search Project." Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:50 AM
To: AldenKindred@aol.com
Subject: RE: Peleg Brownell

Dear Alicia:

Thanks so much for responding. I totally agree with your conclusions and
that was the reason for my original inquiry. Some minor points:
a: Your first line below indicates the "father of Tillinghast Tripp". I think'
you might mean the "daughter" of Tillinghast Tripp? This is an interesting
connection for me because the Mother of Desire Tripp was Susannah
Allen ( daughter of Humphrey Allen and Deborah Burgess) and thence
Daniel Allen and Elizabeth Seabury. This is then a line to John & Priscilla
according to the posting on the Alden.org genealogy.

b: I have the date of Peleg Brownell birth as 1796 ( according to the the book
by Randall).

c: My current research points to this Peleg Brownell being a son of Peleg Brownell
and mother name of Irish. This was based on some letters that were found in
the possession of the family.

So when one door closes... another door opens :-).

Thanks again.

Best Regards
John A Hansen

www.Alden.org
2961. Humphrey ALLEN (Elizabeth 'Betty' SEABURY , Joseph SEABURY , Martha PABODIE , Elizabeth ALDEN , John ) was born on 17 Dec 1754 in probably Dartmouth or Westport, Bristol Co., MA. He died on 17 Jan 1842 in Westport, Bristol Co., MA.

Humphrey married Phebe BURGESS on 17 Jul 1775. Phebe was born on 14 Jul 1755 in Little Compton, Newport Co., RI. She died on 10 Dec 1842.

They had the following children:

10529 M i Humphrey ALLEN.
10530 F ii Sarah ALLEN.
10531 M iii David ALLEN was born 1 on 7 Oct 1775 in Westport, Bristol Co., MA.
David married Amy SHRIEVE on 20 Dec 1798 in Westport, Bristol Co., MA.
10532 F iv Susanna ALLEN was born 1 on 18 Apr 1777 in Westport, Bristol Co., MA.
Susanna married Tillinghast TRIPP on 21 Jan 1798 in Westport, Bristol Co., MA.

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 9:12 AM
To: jahansen@qwest.net
Subject: Peleg Brownell

John,

It has been a while since we corresponded about your search for the ancestry of Peleg Brownell who married Desire Tripp and was the father of Tillinghast Tripp.

You may have already discovered the following, but I thought I would send it just in case.

The problem comes from the existence of two Peleg Brownells of roughly the same age who were from Westport, Massachusetts. One married Mary Gifford in 1826, and the other married Desire Tripp in 1824. Both died in Massachusetts, and as Murphy's Law would have it, neither death record gives the names of parents.

The Peleg who died in 1866 was not the husband of Desire. This is proved through census records and a cemetery record showing Peleg buried with in the Gifford family lot in Tiverton with his wife Mary, his death date matching that for the death record in Westport (26 May 1866) stating his age as 64 yrs 4 mos 12 days (from the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 118:308). That calculates to a birth date of 14 Jan 1802, but from the death record now available through the NEHGS website, I read his age as 65 years, so that would calculate to 1801. The death record states he was born in Westport and it is virtually certain he is the son of Isaac and Priscilla. I have not found evidence of children for this couple yet.

The man with wife Desire, who appears concurrent in the censuses with the man who married Mary, was born about 1797. He and Desire went out to Michigan (where their son Tillinghast settled), where they are in the 1850 and 1860 censuses, then returned to an area of Plymouth called Mattapoisett in the 1870 census (so he was obviously not the man who died in 1866). His death is recorded in New Bedford in 1874, when he is listed as age 77, and his age in the census records all calculate to 1797, too. His death record states he, too, was born in Westport.

Although there is no birth record for a Peleg b. ca. 1797 in Westport or surrounding towns with published vital records, there are ample Brownell heads of families living in Westport in 1800 who could be his father. It would be a matter of going through the list and finding those households who had a least one male under age 10, then looking for probate records, etc.

It is, of course, possible that your Peleg still has an Alden line, but I can eliminate the connection to Isaac and Priscilla (Tompkins) Brownell.

Alicia Crane Williams, Genealogist
Alden Kindred of America
(www.alden.org)

Help support the Alden Kin Search Project to locate all one million Alden descendants! Send your tax deductible contribution to Alden Kindred of America, P.O. Box 2754, Duxbury, MA 02331. Please make check payable to "Alden Kindred of America" and designate it for the "Alden Kin Search Project." Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic