Search for content in message boards

Peter Buff and wife Matilda (possibly Hoyle)

Replies: 1

Re: Peter Buff and wife Matilda (possibly Hoyle) additional information

Posted: 6 Jun 2011 11:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Matilda Hoyle, possibly the dtr. of Nicholas Hoyle and Mary Howard, married Peter Buff. Which Peter Buff? I have tracked this family in census (1870-1920) Matilda died between 1882 and 1900. Peter died between 1900-1910.
From what I can piece together in census, Peter and Matilda had the following children. Years of birth are a bit sketchy..but take it for what is is worth.
Peter c.1835
Matilda c.1847
Alice c1866
Sarah A. c1868
Mary Jane c1863-1868
Elizabeth 1868 ?
John c1872
Margaret c1873 - d1958. Married William A. Costner
Easter c1876 - died 1927hit by a car
Lovina 1879
Rebecca 1882

Now.. allow me to play the name game with Peter and Matilda's children! Their children have names of maternal and paternal family member.
Matilda, if she is Matilda Hoyle, had sisters named Easter, Sarah, and Rebecca. She also had a brother, John T. that married Eliza Jane Swofford.
Peter Buff's mother's name was Alice. His father's name was John.

I have a Peter B. Buff, Co. F. 55th NC, CSA; buried at the Buff Cemetery off Dirty Ankle Road in Cleveland Co. I have a letter he wrote to Capt. Mull ON 22 March 1864, stating his health and that her returned "safely" to his wife. This is the first indication I had that he married. This Peter Buff was the son of John Buff and Alice (Allie) Watts Buff. This family lived in the area of Knob Creek / Dirty Ankle Community. Alice Watts Buff is buried at the Buff Cemetery in a grave marked only by a field stone. If this Peter was married to Matilda Hoyle, her final resting place could also be the Buff Cemetery in one of the many many graves marked only by fieldstone.

I have spent countless hours researching ALL Peter Buff's to try and find out if this is MY Peter Buff!! Any help, suggestions, ideas, speculations, or documention to get me off this spinning merry-go-round would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for your time!
Vicki Buff Quillan
Buff / Swofford / Hoyle / Sain /
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vbquillan 14 May 2011 3:14PM GMT 
vbquillan 6 Jun 2011 5:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions