Replies: 19

John Bull was b. Abt. 1645 in England, and d.1699 in Salem, NJ

JO (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 9:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bull, Bean, Frederick
Descendants of John Bull

Generation No. 1

1. John1 Bull was born Abt. 1645 in England, and died 1699 in Salem, New Jersey. He married Anne.

Notes for John Bull:
The name Bull was given by a King of England to a man for bravery in conquering a bull with bare hands, after seeing another fail.

John Bull is the name used for England and the English people, just as Uncle Sam stands for the United States and its people. The nickname John Bull wasa used in the 1600's. But John Arbuthnot, a Scottish writer, fixed the popular idea of John Bull. In 1712 Arbuthnot published pamplets advocating the end of the Spanish succession. They were re-published the same year as "The History of John Bull". In this book John Bull represnting England, appears as a jolly, honest, plain-dealing, but hot tempered farmer. Sir John Tenniel, farmer's cartoonist of Punch magazine in the 1800's pictured John Bull as a dignified gentleman. The John Bull commonly seen today appeared in the drawings of Sir Francis Carruthers Gould, published in the Westminster Gazette during the late 1800's and early 1900's. Gould pictured John Bull wearing a 'tile' hat and a swallow-tailed coat. His trousers are tucked into riding boots, and the British flag sometimes appears on his waistcoat. There was another John Bull in the late 1500's and early 1600's who was an accomplished musician and composer in England. He was hailed on the Continent for his musical accomplishments, and was appointed musician to the King's Court. Little of his works remain however, except in manuscripts in England.

Then, according to tradition, another John Bull ina group of seven brothers sailed from England in the early 1600's, to make their way in the new promised land of America. The accomplishments of this John Bull varied greatly from the musical salons of the courts of gentle royalty. He was a rugged pioneer who fought Indians, became an expert gunsmith and farmer, with many places in many states named after him or his descendants.

Children of John Bull and Anne are:
+ 2 i. Jacob2 Bull, born 1683 in Of Baltimore Co., Maryland; died November 22, 1756 in Baltimore (Baltimore) MD.
3 ii. Thomas Bull, born Abt. 1671.
4 iii.Sarah Bull, born Abt. 1673.
5 iv.Anne Bull, born Abt. 1674.
6 v. Richard Bull, born Abt. 1677.
7 vi.John Bull, born Abt. 1680.
8 vii.Mary Bull, born Abt. 1682.
9 viii.William Bull, born Abt. 1686.
10 ix. Elizabeth Bull, born Abt. 1687.
11 x. Katherine Bull, born Abt. 1689.
12 xi. James Bull, born Abt. 1692.

Generation No. 2

2. Jacob2 Bull (John1) was born 1683 in Of Baltimore Co., Maryland, and died November 22, 1756 in Baltimore (Baltimore) MD. He married Rachel Warden Abt. 1716 in Baltimore, MD.

Notes for Jacob Bull:
WILL OF JACOB BULL (1665-1756)

In the Fear of Almighty God and regard to the uncertainty of time in the World it Seems good to me Jacob Bull of Baltimore County in the Province of maryland to make this for my last Will and Testament relating to those things it hath pleased God to bless me with in this world being at this time in perfect memory and Sound disposing mind: manner and form following.

First my will and desire is that all those lawful debts which shall be Justly due from me at the time of my decease with my funeral Expenses be well and truly paid.
Item I give and Bequeath unto my Daughter Catheren Warden Demmit wife of William Demmit one negrow Boy names Shrosbury during her natural life and at the time of her deceas i give and bequeath the said negrow Boy Shrosbury to her Eldest Son that shall be living at my said Daughters deceas and no more of my Estate. Item I give and bequeath unto my Son John Bull all my Tract or Parcell of Land called Ayres Lott for one hundred acres more or less whereon he now dwells with all the premises appurtenances hereto belonging and his male heirs from Generation to Generation desending to his male lines at Law forever. Also the goods and chattels on the said Land one negrow Boy named London I give to my said Son John and his presnt Wife Hannah during each of their natural lives and at the time they shall both be Dead I give and bequeath the said Boy London unto their Son Jacob Bull and no more. Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Sarah Marshall one negrow Man named Shrosbury already in her Possession and no more. Item I give and bequeath unto my Sons Abraham Bull and William Bull all my Tract or parcel of Land called Ceisils Adventure lying near Winters Run with all the premises and appurtenances thereunto belonging & to their male heirs as above described forever divided between them and their heirs forever by a Line begin at abounded the End of 240 on the S.S.W. Line of Said Land and running thence through thewhole Extent of the said Tract east by South across the said Land, my said Son Abraham Possessing all that part of the said Tract Lying on the South side of the said dividing line for one hundred thirty nine acres of Land more or less and my said Son William to possess all the remaining part of the said Tract lying on the north Side of the said dividing line for one hundred and twenty acres of Land more or less also I give and bequeath unto my said Son Abraham all the goods and chattels now in his possession and one negrow Boy named Sause and no more but unto my Said Son William I give and bequeath three negrows named George, Tone, Ben also the feather Bed and furniture which I now use myself. Item I give and bequeath unto my Son Samuel Bull one negrow Woman named Moll and no more. Item I give and bequeath unto my Son Issac Bull all my parcel of Land one hundred & Eighteen acre part of a mannor called Ladys mannor together with my Water Grist Mill thereon and all the premises and appurtenances thereunto belonging and to his heirs and assigns during the Extent of the right which I have obtained to said Land. also one negrow Girl named Sarah during his natural life and then to his heirs at his decease and no more. Item I give and bequeath unto my Son Edmond Bull all my Tract or parcel of Land called the Land of Promise for two hunderd acres more or less lying on the Drafts of Deer Creek and all the premises and appurtenances thereunto belonging and to his male heirs as above described forever also all my Lease near adjoining to the aforesaid Tract called the Land of Promise also all the goods and chattels in his Possession and one negrow Man named Tom and no more.
Item I give and bequeath unto my Son Jacob Bull my Water Grist Mill with fifty acres of Land contaegious whereon it is built part of the westermost part of my Tract of Land called Bell's Camp with all the premises and appurtenances thereto belonging during his natural life and in case he shall leave a live Son named Jacob Bull at the time of his decease then I give and bequeath the said fifty acres of Land Water Grist Mill to his Son Jacob Bull and his male heirs as above described forever but in defaultt of such Son named Jacob Bull at the time of my Said Sons decease then and in such case I give and bequeath the said fifty acres of Land and Water Grist Mill with all the premises and appurtenances unto my Grandson Jacob Bull Son of John and to his male heirs as above described forever also I give and bequeath unto my said Son Jacob Bull all the remaining part of my said Tract of land called Bells Camp for two and fifty acres, also all my part of a Tract of Land called the grove near adjoining to the aforesaid for one hundred acres more or less and to his male heirs as above described forever also two negrows named Ceezer and Oliver.
Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Rachel Bull one negrow girl named Bett and one feather Bed and furniture. Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Hannah Bull one negrow girl named Nann and one feather Bed and furniture. Item I give and bequeath all the remaining part of my Clear Personal Estate after Debts and Legacies paid as aforesaid in Equal part to those of my children viz. William Bull, Rachel Bull and Hannah Bull to be equally divided unto each of them three by three Reputables freeholders of the County aforesaid Elected and Chosen in assistence to them by each of my said three children.
Lastly I Constituteappoint and ordain my son William Bull my sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament having no other in this world. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty Second day of November 1756.

Jacob Bull (his mark) (seal)

Signed Sealed and Delivered
to be his last Will & Testament
In the Presents of us

Daniel Preston
Aquila Scott
Joshua Bond

At the foot of the aforegoing Will was there written viz. December 13th 1756 came Daniel Preston and Aquila Scot two of the subscribing witnesses to the foregoing Will and being duly and Solemly Sworn on the Holy Evangelist of almighty God depose and Say that they saw the Testator Jacob Bull Sign the foregoing Will and heard him publish and declare the same to be his Last Will and Testament at the same time Joshua Bond the other Subscribing witness to the aforesaid Will being one of the People called Quakers did Solemnly affirm that he also saw the Testator Jacob Bull Sign the said Will and also acknowledge it to be his Last Will and Testament that at the time of his So doing he was to the best of all their apprehensions of Sound and disposing mind and memory and that they Subscribed their respective names as witnesses to the said Will in the presence of the Testator & at his request.....sworn and affirmed the day & year above written.

W Young D .Com Baltimore County

From Maryland Hall of Records: Land Office, Dept. of General Services; P.O. Box 828, Annapolis, Md. 21404. As listed in the Colonial Wills of Book 30, pp. 223-225 of Jacob Bull 1756 of Baltimore County.

Children of Jacob Bull and Rachel Warden are:
+ 13 i. Catherine Warden3 Bull, born January 01, 1716/17 in MD.
+ 14 ii. John Bull, born November 01, 1719 in St. John's Parrish (Baltimore) MD; died 1757 in Baltimore (Baltimore) MD.
15 iii.Sarah Bull, born January 14, 1720/21 in MD. She married Thomas Marshall October 03, 1740 in Baltimore Co., Maryland.
+ 16 iv.Abraham Bull, born January 06, 1722/23 in Baltimore Co., MD; died 1762 in Baltimore Co., MD.
17 v. Samuel Bull, born December 29, 1725 in MD.
+ 18 vi.Issac Bull, born January 13, 1729/30 in Baltimore Co., MD; died 1783.
+ 19 vii.Edmund Bull, born January 13, 1729/30 in Baltimore Co., MD; died 1776 in Harford, Maryland.
+ 20 viii.Jacob Bull, born April 08, 1731 in Baltimore Co., MD; died November 16, 1798 in (Warren) GA?.
+ 21 ix. William Bull, born February 28, 1733/34 in Baltimore Co., MD.
22 x. Rachel Bull, born February 28, 1735/36 in MD. She married William Johnson September 08, 1757 in Baltimore Co., Maryland.
+ 23 xi. Hannah Bull, born 1738.

Generation No. 3

13. Catherine Warden3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born January 01, 1716/17 in MD. She married Thomas William Dimmitt May 13, 1736 in Baltimore Co., Maryland.

Child of Catherine Bull and Thomas Dimmitt is:
24 i. James4 Dimmitt, born March 30, 1737.

14. John3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born November 01, 1719 in St. John's Parrish (Baltimore) MD, and died 1757 in Baltimore (Baltimore) MD. He married Hannah Ruff February 20, 1738/39 in St. John's Par, Baltimore, MD, daughter of Richard Ruff and Sarah Peverell.

Notes for Hannah Ruff:
possible father: Richard Charles Warden; Will 1774 39, 872 Maryland

Will Hannah Bull (Baltimore) written 19 Jan 1760, prob 5 Mar 1760

to children John, Jacob, Mary, Hannah, Elizabeth and Rachel Bull

Children of John Bull and Hannah Ruff are:
25 i. Edmund4 BULL.
26 ii. Mary BULL, born April 30, 1740 in Baltimore Co., MD. She married AQUILLA CLARK? April 08, 1760.
27 iii.John BULL, born December 06, 1743 in Baltimore Co., MD; died 1782 in TN.

Notes for John BULL:
William Bean's son Robert established Bean's Station, the point on the Wilderness Road where travelers turned north toward the Cumberland Gap for entrance into Kentucky and the northwest. It was a post road and stage route. Located but a short distance was Bull's gap, named for John Bull, the uncle of John Valentine Bull. Here John Valentine Bull operated a stage coach line and here he met and married Fetnah Bean.

Bulls Gap: (Highway sign - IC 30; located in Northeastern Tennessee)located on U.S. Hwy. 11-E

In this gap in Bay's Mountain, John Bull, a gunsmith from Pennsylvanis, settled about 1794. The last rail on the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad was laid here. May 14, 1858. The gap was the scene of several heavy skirmishes during the War between the States and traces of fortifications can still be found

28 iv.Hannah BULL, born February 10, 1746/47 in Baltimore Co., MD.
29 v. Elizabeth BULL, born 1750.
30 vi.Rachel BULL, born November 18, 1753 in Baltimore Co., MD.
+ 31 vii.Jacob Bull, born February 24, 1756 in Baltimore, MD; died Abt. 1830 in (Grainger) TN, buried Read Meeting House Graveyard near Morristown, TN.

16. Abraham3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born January 06, 1722/23 in Baltimore Co., MD, and died 1762 in Baltimore Co., MD. He married Martha M. Wiley June 01, 1749 in Gunpowder MH, Baltimore, Maryland, daughter of Luke Wiley and Kasiah.

Children of Abraham Bull and Martha Wiley are:
+ 32 i. William4 Bull, born 1750 in Baltimore, MD; died 1800 in Harford, Maryland.
33 ii. Abraham Bull, born 1752 in Baltimore Co., MD.
34 iii.Hannah Bull, born 1754.
35 iv.Rachel Bull, born 1756 in Baltimore Co., MD.

18. Issac3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born January 13, 1729/30 in Baltimore Co., MD, and died 1783. He married (1) Hannah Robertson June 23, 1749 in Baltimore Co., Maryland, daughter of Richard Robertson. He married (2) Elizabeth Ann Slade May 26, 1761 in Baltimore Co., Maryland, daughter of Josias SLADE and Mary DAY.

Child of Issac Bull and Hannah Robertson is:
36 i. Rachel4 Bull, born March 05, 1755 in Baltimore Co., MD.

Children of Issac Bull and Elizabeth Slade are:
37 i. Issac4 Bull, born 1766.
38 ii. Mary Bull, born 1769.

19. Edmund3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born January 13, 1729/30 in Baltimore Co., MD, and died 1776 in Harford, Maryland. He married Susannah Lyon November 19, 1752 in Baltimore Co., Maryland.

Children of Edmund Bull and Susannah Lyon are:
39 i. Rachel4 Bull, born June 23, 1754 in Baltimore Co., MD.
40 ii. Jacob Bull, born August 17, 1757 in Baltimore Co., MD. He married Sarah Love.
41 iii.Esther Bull, born March 17, 1760 in Baltimore Co., MD.
42 iv.Mary Bull, born January 29, 1762 in Baltimore Co., MD.
43 v. John Bull, born April 26, 1764 in Baltimore Co., MD.

20. Jacob3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born April 08, 1731 in Baltimore Co., MD, and died November 16, 1798 in (Warren) GA?. He married Ranice (Rhennis) Bussey October 17, 1752 in Baltimore Co., Maryland, daughter of Edward Bussey and Mary.

Children of Jacob Bull and Ranice Bussey are:
+ 44 i. Edward4 Bull, born August 04, 1753; died 1808.
45 ii. Jacob Bull, born 1758 in Baltimore Co., MD.
46 iii.William Bull, born September 08, 1760 in Baltimore Co., MD; died January 10, 1820. He married MARY BUSSEY 1805.
47 iv.Mary Bull, born August 04, 1762 in Baltimore Co., MD. She married NATHANIEL SMITHSON.
48 v. Rennis (Ranice) Bull, born September 09, 1764 in Baltimore Co., MD.
49 vi.Bennett Bull, born 1769 in Baltimore Co., MD. He married CHRISTINE FRENCH.
50 vii.Eli Bull, born May 18, 1771 in Baltimore Co., MD.
51 viii.Jerrett Bull, born Abt. March 1776 in Baltimore Co., MD. He married HANNAH MARIE BOSE.

21. William3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born February 28, 1733/34 in Baltimore Co., MD. He married (1) Sarah Billingsley June 16, 1761 in Baltimore Co., Maryland. He married (2) Eleanor Amos 1774, daughter of William Jr. Amos.

Child of William Bull and Sarah Billingsley is:
52 i. Walter4 Bull.

Child of William Bull and Eleanor Amos is:
+ 53 i. Rachel4 Bull, born September 13, 1755; died July 22, 1836.

23. Hannah3 Bull (Jacob2, John1) was born 1738. She married John P. Bosely October 18, 1759 in Baltimore Co., Maryland, son of William Bosley and Elizabeth Dimmitt.

Children of Hannah Bull and John Bosely are:
54 i. James4 Bosely, born 1766 in Baltimore Co., MD / Northumberland, Penn.; died 1838.
55 ii. Shadrack Bosely, born 1771; died January 18, 1852.
56 iii.Jacob Bosely, born 1772; died June 11, 1841 in Farmington, Trumbull Co., Ohio. He married Eleanor S. Green.
57 iv.Edmund Bosely, born June 25, 1776; died December 15, 1846 in Winter Quarters, Nebraska.
58 v. Sarah Bosely, born 1778; died June 18, 1816.
59 vi.Keziah Bosely, born 1785.

Generation No. 4

31. Jacob4 Bull (John3, Jacob2, John1) was born February 24, 1756 in Baltimore, MD, and died Abt. 1830 in (Grainger) TN, buried Read Meeting House Graveyard near Morristown, TN. He married (1) Ann Slade. He married (2) Sarah Vincent February 20, 1776 in Maryland. He married (3) Elizabeth Walker July 12, 1784 in Caswell Co., North Carolina, daughter of Moses Walker.

Notes for Jacob Bull:
Shortly after the Revolution, Jacob migrated to Washington Co., TN. Before leaving Maryland, he freed his slaves and sold his property. One slave, Hannah, refused to be freed and they brought her and her husband to TN. She was up in years and insisted on coming with her people to TN. Jacob and his brothers owned stores in Baltimore. After Jacob Bull and family had lived on the frontier for many years, he sent his sons and some of their cousins back to Baltimore to buy goods and supplies. The boys were instructed to buy their supplies from uncles, and to visit their kinfolk in Baltimore. Arriving in Baltimore, they hunted up the homes of relatives and the stores. That night, they walked by the beautiful homes, but could not get up enough courage to make themselves known. The next day they purchased their supplies from the uncles, loaded their wagons and headed for TN. Their parents were deeply hurt that they had not seen the relatives, the boys said, "Everything was so different, and we were just "Backwoodsmen"."
Jacob lived in a large two-story log house (2-stories was rare for that time). They lived near a big spring and would wash by the spring and hang the clothes on big rocks to dry.

Read Meeting House (Methodist) edge of Morristown, TN was burned during the Civil War

More About Jacob Bull:
Property: 1792, purchased 225 acres on the Watauga in (Washington) TN from William Bean for 60 Pounds, sold the property before 1830 and moved to Grainger Co.
Religion: Methodist

Children of Jacob Bull and Sarah Vincent are:
60 i. George5 BULL. He married Mary Baker July 21, 1805 in (Grainger) TN.
61 ii. Jacob BULL. He married Nancy Hazlett March 21, 1805 in (Washington) TN.
+ 62 iii.John Valentine Bull, born February 14, 1777 in (Harford) MD; died October 21, 1840 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL.

Children of Jacob Bull and Elizabeth Walker are:
63 i. William5 Bull, born in Person Co., NC.
64 ii. Samuel Bull, born Abt. 1786 in Orange Co., NC.
65 iii.Elizabeth Bull, born Abt. 1787 in Orange Co., NC. She married Joshua Miller September 12, 1816 in (Washington) TN.
+ 66 iv.Elisha BULL, born June 30, 1790 in Washington Co, TN; died August 02, 1873.
67 v. Moses Bull, born Abt. 1792 in Orange Co., NC.
68 vi.Martha Bull, born Abt. 1794 in Orange Co., NC.
+ 69 vii.Jesse Bull, born Abt. 1795 in Tennessee; died January 07, 1874 in Calloway, Bell Co., Kentucky.
70 viii.Judith Bull, born Abt. 1796 in Person Co., NC.
71 ix. Nancy Bull, born Abt. 1798 in Orange Co., NC.
+ 72 x. Vincent Garrard BULL, born October 11, 1801 in (Washington) TN; died November 04, 1838 in (Grainger) TN.

32. William4 Bull (Abraham3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1750 in Baltimore, MD, and died 1800 in Harford, Maryland. He married Eleanor Amos, daughter of William Amos and Hannah McComas.

Children of William Bull and Eleanor Amos are:
+ 73 i. Abraham5 Bull, born 1771 in Baltimore, MD; died 1830 in Clermont Co., Ohio.
74 ii. Joshua Bull, born 1775 in Harford, Maryland.
75 iii.Martha Bull, born 1777 in Harford, Maryland.
76 iv.Rachel Bull, born 1779 in Harford, Maryland.
77 v. Amos Bull, born 1781 in Harford, Maryland.
78 vi.Hannah Bull, born 1783 in Harford, Maryland.
79 vii.Priscilla Bull, born 1785 in Harford, Maryland.
80 viii.Mary Bull, born 1787 in Harford, Maryland.

44. Edward4 Bull (Jacob3, Jacob2, John1) was born August 04, 1753, and died 1808. He married Sarah Preston 1774, daughter of Daniel Preston and Ann Graffton.

Child of Edward Bull and Sarah Preston is:
+ 81 i. Corbin5 Bull, born 1795; died 1834.

53. Rachel4 Bull (William3, Jacob2, John1) was born September 13, 1755, and died July 22, 1836. She married Maulden Amos June 03, 1770.

Child of Rachel Bull and Maulden Amos is:
+ 82 i. William Mauldin5 Amos, born April 12, 1791; died December 28, 1856 in Merriwether Co., Georgia.

Generation No. 5

62. John Valentine5 Bull (Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born February 14, 1777 in (Harford) MD, and died October 21, 1840 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL. He married Fetnah (Fetney) Bean April 03, 1806 in (Grainger) TN, daughter of William Bean and Elizabeth Shaw.

Notes for John Valentine Bull:
Buried near Old Allen shirt factory, go 1 mi. west of Bear Creek on
Hwy 172, just past the intersection of Hwy 241 South that crosses Bear Creek,
you continue on Hwy 172 West and you will immediately cross a bridge (Mills
or Mill Creek). Just over this bridge and to the right (North) in the curve which
turns to the right, John Valentine Bull is buried off to the right on the north side
of the road in this curve. This location is east about one-quarter of a mile of where
John Valentine Bull's son Russell Samuel Sellers Bull is buried. Russell Samuel Sellers Bull
is buried on the south side of the road (Hwy 172) along with several slaves, this location
is just right before the road Y's & one route goes to Hackleburg & one to Phil Campbell. The
graves of Russell Samuel Sellers Bull & others are about 100 yards south-southeast of where
Hwy 172 Y's and on the south side of Hwy 172.

He was a gunsmith in Maryland, TN & Marion Co., AL. Probably apprenticed to Robert Hodgson of Baltimore, MD. The stock architecture of his early rifles support this legend, as they have a slight inward curve on the underside of the buttstock. They also have a curved comb-line, where most upper east Tennessee rifles are straight, or nearly so. John's later rifles have the straighter lines. He could have brought a curved stock pattern from Baltimore after his apprenticeship. John probably arrived in TN shortly before 1800.

William Bean's son Robert established Bean's Station, the point on the Wilderness Road where travelers turned north toward the Cumberland Gap for entrance into Kentucky and the northwest. It was a post road and stage route. Located but a short distance was Bull's Gap (in the Bay Mt. area), named for John Bull, the uncle of John Valentine Bull. Bull's Gap had a good source of iron at the Perkins Ironworks or Haines Ironworks. Here John Valentine Bull operated a stage coach line (Bull's Gap to Bean's Station) and here he met and married Fetnah Bean.

John Valentine Bull & Fetnah Bean Bull had eight children. Their 1st son and oldest child, Pleasant Marshall Bull, left home at an early age and took part in the Independence of texas and was killed enroute to the battle of San Jacinto in 1836.

John Valentine Bull moved his family from TN to AL about 1823, first to Walker Co., AL and later to Marion Co., AL. (Marion County was created from the western part of Tuscaloosa County on December 13, 1818, and contained the land west of the Sipsey River and then ran south from the mouth of the Sipsey River "to the ridge dividing the waters of Lookseopelala Creek, and the first large creek south of the same; and thence with said ridge to the Tombigbee River." )This part of Alabama was Chickasaw land at that time. He worked a number of years at Warrior Mountain now called Bull Mountain in Alabama. His shop there was near Gains Trace and Jacksons Military Road, a good location for a gunshop in the 1820's. When the Chickasaw lands in Alabama were ceded to the US in 1832, John and Fetnah moved a few miles east to Bear Creek.
Besides being a gunsmith, John V. Bull also followed farming for many years.

Reference to BULL MOUNTAIN:
42nd Alabama Co K: Bull Mountain Invincibles-- "We are a family based unit. No alcohol or bad language is allowed in the unit. The unit is with The States Rights Bridge. All of our men are members of the SCV out of Hamilton, AL. The name of our camp is The Captain A.J. Hamilton Camp (#1644). When we galvanize we are known as the 14th Iowa." Capt. Condrey's Co.

Two John Bull rifle barrels are known that are marked "Warrior Mt." One is dated 1826 and the other 1829.

Buried alone on a hillside near Bear Creek, AL. "Resting till the resurrection morn." His wife, Fetnah, was superstitious. When he died, she had his body carried across "flowing waters" for burial "to confine his spirit" or "to keep it from returning." She buried him in a lonely spot.

Land Records for JOHN BULL
Name: JOHN BULL
Date: 07 11 1835
Document #: 7350
Serial #: AL1310__.053
Sale Type: CASH ENTRY SALE
Acres: 39.9600
Meridian or Watershed: HUNTSVILLE
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 9

Date: 10 09 1838
Document #: 10196
Serial #: AL3570__.464
Acres: 39.4500
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 18

Date: 10 09 1838
Document #: 10195
Serial #: AL3570__.463
Acres: 78.8900
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 18

More About John Valentine Bull:
Burial: near Bear Creek (Marion) AL, W on Hwy 172 1mi. on N side of road past Mill Creek bridge in big curve prior to "Y" in road, surronded by a low fence which appears to be made of galvanized pipe. Headstone inscription: "Resting til the Resurrection Morn".
Comment 1: John took small pine saplings, split them, and hollowed them out and clamped them back together to create piping for water. Water ran by gravity into the spring house and into tubs and vats where they kept their milk cool.
Comment 2: The spring house provided water for all uses and was located in the yard where they did their washing.
Military service: 1810, listed as a Captain in (Grainger) TN tax list (Co, Commander, Militia)
Occupation: Gunsmith, probably apprenticed to Robert Hodgson of Baltimore, MD
Religion: Methodist Episcopal

Notes for Fetnah (Fetney) Bean:
County Court Minutes Vol. 1, 1796--1802 pg. 260, Grainger Co., Tenn. August 6, 1802 Bill of Sale Barkley Marshall to Fetney Bean his niece for negro man slave Ned.

Moved to Texas after her husband John Valentine Bull's death.
She and her son, John Wesley Bull, had gone to Texas in 1853.

More About Fetnah (Fetney) Bean:
Burial: Marquez (Limestone Co.) TX
Census: 1850, (Marion) AL, head of household w/2 daughters: Rausamond Anderson Bull, age 36 and Hannah Rosannah Bull, age 27. Fetnah had property value of $1000.
Residence: 1850, (Marion) AL

Children of John Bull and Fetnah Bean are:
83 i. Pleasant Marshall6 Bull, born February 19, 1808 in Grainger (TN); died April 24, 1836 in Galveston Bay, TX, enroute at sea to the battle of San Jacinto.

Notes for Pleasant Marshall Bull:
Engaged to Marion Alsbury

John Valentine Bull & Fetnah Bean Bull had eight children. Their 1st son and oldest child, Pleasant Marshall Bull, left home at an early age and took part in the Independence of texas and was killed enroute to the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836 (War of Texas Independence). He took sick on a sea voyage through the Gulf of Mexico and died and was buried at sea.

More About Pleasant Marshall Bull:
Military service: 1836, Battle of San Jacinto (War of Texas Independence)
Resided by: July 15, 1831, Brazoria, Austin Colony, TX

+ 84 ii. Jacob Washington Bull, born April 05, 1810 in (Grainger) TN; died May 08, 1880 in (Marion) AL.
+ 85 iii. Russell Samuel Sellers Bull, born June 17, 1812 in (Grainger) TN; died March 22, 1887 in (Marion) AL.
86 iv. Rausamond Anderson Bull, born August 05, 1814 in (Grainger) TN; died February 02, 1905 in (Roger Mills) OK.

More About Rausamond Anderson Bull:
Burial: Belleview Cemetery near Crawford, OK as are other family members.
Census: 1850, AL -Marion Co. p161a
Comment 1: remained a spinster, believed to be the oldest person to file on land during the Run of 1889 in Oklahoma.

+ 87 v. John Wesley Bull, born June 01, 1818 in GRAINGER CO., TENN.; died February 11, 1898 in (Erath) TX.
+ 88 vi. Elisha Rufus Bull, born August 07, 1820 in (Grainger) TN; died July 03, 1904 in Crawford (Roger Mills) OK, buried Belleview Cemetary.
+ 89 vii. Hannah Rosannah Bull, born August 09, 1822 in (Grainger) TN; died July 23, 1863 in (Hunt?)TX.
+ 90 viii. Mary Emaline "Emma" Bull, born December 09, 1827 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL; died August 31, 1902 in (Hood) TX.

66. Elisha5 BULL (Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born June 30, 1790 in Washington Co, TN, and died August 02, 1873. He married (1) Sarah DAVIS November 07, 1816 in Washington Co, TN. He married (2) Louisa Ladd February 20, 1851 in married by Minister of the Gospel: Josiah Rhoten.

More About Elisha BULL:
Burial: Chapel Hill Cem, Coffee Co, TN
Military service: War of 1812, pension until his death

More About Louisa Ladd:
Burial: Chapel Hill Cem, Coffee Co, TN

Children of Elisha BULL and Sarah DAVIS are:
91 i. Eliza6 BULL, born in Grainger Co, TN. She married John Cox December 12, 1833.
92 ii. Maria Jane BULL.
93 iii. Elisha BULL.
94 iv. John A BULL.
95 v. Mary Adeline BULL, born Abt. 1826 in Grainger Co, TN.
96 vi. Hannah BULL, born Abt. 1827 in Grainger Co, TN.
97 vii. Nancy Clementine BULL, born 1829 in Grainger Co, TN.
98 viii. Sarah "Sally" BULL, born 1832 in Grainger Co, TN.
+ 99 ix. Pleasant B BULL, born June 03, 1833 in Grainger Co, TN; died October 03, 1905 in Brown Co, TX.
100 x. James Everett BULL, born 1834 in Grainger Co, TN.
101 xi. Evalina BULL, born 1841 in Grainger Co, TN.

69. Jesse5 Bull (Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born Abt. 1795 in Tennessee, and died January 07, 1874 in Calloway, Bell Co., Kentucky. He married Jane Daniels February 15, 1816 in Puckettes Creek, Harlan County, Kentucky, daughter of John Daniels and Catherine Napier.

Children of Jesse Bull and Jane Daniels are:
102 i. Sarah6 Bull, born Abt. 1820 in Harlan Co, Kentucky; died Abt. 1851 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. She married William Wilson April 19, 1838.
103 ii. Preston Bull, born Abt. 1823 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. He married Fanny Miracle Abt. 1848 in Harlan Co., Kentucky.
104 iii. Rosannah Bull, born Abt. 1825 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. She married James Wilson April 15, 1840 in Harlan Co., Kentucky.
+ 105 iv. Jacob Bull, born Abt. 1827 in Harlan Co, Kentucky; died in Berryville, Carroll Co., Arkansas.
106 v. Nancy Bull, born 1828 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. She married Hiram Wilder December 30, 1852 in Harlan Co., Kentucky.
107 vi. Issac Bull, born April 14, 1829 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. He married Nancy Green Abt. 1850.
+ 108 vii. Elizabeth Bull, born Abt. 1830 in Harlan Co, Kentucky.
+ 109 viii. Catherine Bull, born 1834 in Ohio; died Bef. 1876 in Bell Co., Kentucky.
+ 110 ix. Jesse Brittain Bull, born 1838 in Harlan Co, Kentucky.

72. Vincent Garrard5 BULL (Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born October 11, 1801 in (Washington) TN, and died November 04, 1838 in (Grainger) TN. He married Lydia Sitzler July 20, 1823 in (Washington) TN.

Children of Vincent BULL and Lydia Sitzler are:
111 i. Elisha6 BULL. He married Collie.
112 ii. Elisha Rufus BULL, born February 05; died in in childhood.
+ 113 iii.Elijah BULL, born October 20, 1824; died July 02, 1906.
114 iv.Elizabeth BULL, born December 07, 1826; died December 31, 1903.

Notes for Elizabeth BULL:
Never Married

115 v. Sally (Sarah) BULL, born March 27, 1829. She married Herman Cox.
116 vi.William Garrard BULL, born March 17, 1834; died Abt. 1855.
117 vii.Mahala BULL, born March 16, 1837; died December 14, 1911.

73. Abraham5 Bull (William4, Abraham3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1771 in Baltimore, MD, and died 1830 in Clermont Co., Ohio. He married Hannah Dyer 1797 in Maryland, daughter of Joseph Dyer and Joanna.

Children of Abraham Bull and Hannah Dyer are:
118 i. E.D.6 Bull.
+ 119 ii. William Bull, born 1797 in Harford, Maryland; died Bef. 1854 in Highland Co., Ohio.
120 iii.Aaron D. Bull, born 1800 in Harford, Maryland. He married (1) Eleanor McNeel October 19, 1826. He married (2) Sarah Ann Combs April 02, 1834 in Clermont Co., Ohio.
121 iv.Mary (Polly) Bull, born 1803 in Jefferson Co. , VA / WV. She married Lester Goff December 11, 1823 in Bativia, Clermont Co., Ohio.
122 v. Hester Bull, born 1804. She married William Lucas March 10, 1825 in Clermont Co., Ohio.
123 vi.Joseph Bull, born August 03, 1807; died March 03, 1896. He married Mary.
124 vii.Unknown Bull, born 1809.
125 viii.George E. Bull, born 1818 in Bativia, Clermont Co., Ohio. He married Mary J. Wells December 25, 1842 in Bativia, Clermont Co., Ohio.

81. Corbin5 Bull (Edward4, Jacob3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1795, and died 1834. He married Lydia Metcalf, daughter of Joseph Metcalf and Rebecca Littler.

Child of Corbin Bull and Lydia Metcalf is:
+ 126 i. Samuel Corbin6 Bull, born September 19, 1834 in Shelby Co., Kentucky; died January 19, 1905 in Franklin Co., Kentucky.

82. William Mauldin5 Amos (Rachel4 Bull, William3, Jacob2, John1) was born April 12, 1791, and died December 28, 1856 in Merriwether Co., Georgia. He married Mary Patterson Lazenby November 19, 1812.

Child of William Amos and Mary Lazenby is:
+ 127 i. Eloisa Emiline6 Amos, born July 04, 1815 in Merriwether Co., Georgia; died August 08, 1889 in Drew Co., Arkansas.

Generation No. 6

84. Jacob Washington6 Bull (John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born April 05, 1810 in (Grainger) TN, and died May 08, 1880 in (Marion) AL. He married Margaret Frederick May 05, 1849 in (Marion) AL, daughter of Hezekiah Frederick and Ezilla Hobson.

Notes for Jacob Washington Bull:
Jacob Washingtn Bull went to Alabama with his parents from Tennessee about 1826-1827. He was a great hunter, and was said to have killed 80 deer, 5 panthers and 11 bears in one year. He once owned a pet bear. A farmer of distinction, he traveled in the path of Sherman's march enroute to Mississippi to purchase seed corn. After death, his wife went to Texas to visit her daughter and other relatives, but she died there of dropsy, a long distance from the home and land that she loved. There were many of the FREDERICK family who also went to Texas.

Jacob Washington Bull housed several slaves and one of the old slave maids was noted for her cooking.

Land Record record for JACOB BULL
Name: JACOB BULL
Date: 10 08 1850
Document #: 14538
Serial #: AL3660__.355
Acres: 38.7600
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 19

Date: 15 06 1854
Document #: 18370
Serial #: AL3730__.230
Acres: 40.0800
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 12W, Section 23

Date: 02 04 1857
Document #: 26047
Serial #: AL3770__.055
Acres: 40.0700

Date: 01 03 1858
Document #: 22645
Serial #: AL3800__.114
Acres: 276.0700
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 19

Acres: 0.0000

Parcel: Township 9S, Range 12W, Section 26

More About Jacob Washington Bull:
Burial: Old Union Baptist Cemetary 2 miles east of Bear Creek (Marion Co.) AL on County Hwy 62, north side of hwy.
Census: 1870, AL -Marion Co. p3b, Farmer

Notes for Margaret Frederick:
Tombstone Inscription: "Gods finger touched her and she slept"

They were dealers in Tombstones.

Roundtimber Cemetary is located 15 miles south of Seymour, Texas

More About Margaret Frederick:
Burial: Round Timber cemetary located about 15 miles south of Seymour, TX
Census: 1870, AL -Marion Co. p3b
Emigration: Bet. August 1823 - October 21, 1825, Moved from Rutherford, TN to Marion, AL

Children of Jacob Bull and Margaret Frederick are:
+ 128 i. Mary Rosamond7 Bull, born January 20, 1850 in Marion, AL; died October 27, 1929 in Round Timber (Baylor) Texas.
+ 129 ii. Pleasant Valentine Bull, born April 14, 1851 in Marion, AL; died Aft. July 27, 1870 in died young in OK.
+ 130 iii.Hannah Caroline (Carrie) Bull, born October 09, 1852 in Marion, AL; died July 02, 1915 in OK.
+ 131 iv.Martha Permela Bull, born August 16, 1854 in Marion, AL; died in OK.
+ 132 v. John Jacob Washington Bull, born October 24, 1855 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL; died February 06, 1931 in (Marion) AL.
+ 133 vi.Nancy Clementine Bull, born April 23, 1857 in Marion, AL; died December 25, 1888 in Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa, AL; buried there..
134 vii.Susannah Bull, born Abt. 1858 in AL.
+ 135 viii.Margaret "Virginia" Eugenia "Eugenah" Bull, born December 06, 1859 in Marion, AL; died July 11, 1902 in Covington, TN.
+ 136 ix. Joseph Marion Bull, born March 15, 1861 in (Marion) AL; died February 14, 1941 in Covington, TN, buried at Covington.

85. Russell Samuel Sellers6 Bull (John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born June 17, 1812 in (Grainger) TN, and died March 22, 1887 in (Marion) AL. He married Mary (Polly) Wylie December 13, 1848, daughter of John Wylie and Jane Nelson.

Notes for Russell Samuel Sellers Bull:
Buried on the south side of the road (Hwy 172) along with several slaves, this location
is just right before the road Y's & one route goes to Hackleburg & one to Phil Campbell. The
graves of Russell Samuel Sellers Bull & others are about 100 yards south-southeast of where
Hwy 172 Y's and on the south side of Hwy 172.

Land Record record for RUSSELL BULL
Name: RUSSELL BULL
Date: 02 04 1857
Document #: 22648
Serial #: AL3740__.187
Acres: 320.0000
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 21

Name: RUSSEL BULL
Document #: 27090
Serial #: AL3850__.054
Acres: 40.0000

More About Russell Samuel Sellers Bull:
Burial: Old Factory Cem. near Bear Creek (Marion) AL, west on Hwy 172 1.25mi. on south side of road prior to "Y" in road (Hackleburg or Phil Campbell)
Census: 1850, AL -Marion Co. p161a, Gunsmith

More About Mary (Polly) Wylie:

Children of Russell Bull and Mary Wylie are:
137 i. Nancy Jane7 Bull, born March 10, 1850 in (Marion) AL; died March 01, 1926.

More About Nancy Jane Bull:
Census: December 28, 1850, AL -Marion Co. p161a, age: 3/4

138 ii. William Rufus Bull, born December 26, 1851 in AL. He married Amanda Adeline Cole.

Notes for William Rufus Bull:
Land Record record for WILLIAM BULL
Name: WILLIAM BULL
Date: 25 06 1885
Document #: 3796
Serial #: AL4090__.143
Sale Type: HOMESTEAD

Name: WILLIAM BULL
Date: 25 06 1885
Document #: 3796
Serial #: AL4090__.143
Acres: 79.9600
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 28

More About William Rufus Bull:
Census: 1860, Marion Co, AL; p.694

+ 139 iii.Margaret Elizabeth Bull, born September 16, 1853 in AL; died July 15, 1915.
+ 140 iv.Rosamond "Rausamon" Anderson Bull, born February 07, 1855 in AL; died March 1936.
141 v. Mary Isabel Bull, born June 06, 1856 in Marion Co, AL; died May 06, 1860 in Marion Co, AL.
142 vi.Fetnah Emaline Bull, born April 16, 1858 in AL; died July 06, 1905.

More About Fetnah Emaline Bull:

143 vii.Susannah Virginia Bull, born July 12, 1860 in AL; died October 01, 1888. She married Sam Creamer.

More About Susannah Virginia Bull:
Census: July 28, 1870, (Marion) AL, p4b

144 viii.Hannah Rosannah Bull, born August 07, 1862 in AL; died September 02, 1954.

More About Hannah Rosannah Bull:

145 ix. John Jacob Bull, born March 19, 1865 in AL; died January 08, 1872.

More About John Jacob Bull:
Census: July 28, 1870, Thorn Hill P.O. (Marion) AL, p4b; age: 5

146 x. Oliver Cromwell Bull, born June 10, 1867 in AL. He married Elizabeth Weathers 1896.

Notes for Oliver Cromwell Bull:
Land Record record for OLIVER BULL
Name: OLIVER BULL
Date: 01 05 1907
Document #: 21109
Serial #: AL5220__.247
Acres: 80.0000
Parcel: Township 9S, Range 11W, Section 22

More About Oliver Cromwell Bull:

+ 147 xi. Sarah Josephine Bull, born March 02, 1870 in AL; died August 27, 1962.

87. John Wesley6 Bull (John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born June 01, 1818 in GRAINGER CO., TENN., and died February 11, 1898 in (Erath) TX. He married (1) Jane Shannon Easterly October 02, 1845 in (Grainger) TN, daughter of Johnathan Easterly and Susannha (Ely). He married (2) Mrs. Henrietta (Miner) Mitchell 1884. He married (3) Artilla (Wilson) Long December 18, 1886.

Notes for John Wesley Bull:
Acquired his education in the common schools. Lived with his Mother and sisters until he was 28, when he was married and went to a home of his own. Farmed in Marion Co., AL until 1853 when he came to TX and opened up a farm in Leon Co., TX. He worked 60 acres of land in Leon Co., TX until 1859. Moved to Erath Co. Texas 1859 .He took up residence upon a farm that was later owned by John Meeks. In the Fall of 1861, he pre-empted 160 acres of wild land and at once began its development, but through the next 10 years, his labors were often interrupted by indian troubles. The 160 acres eventually became highly cultivated. During the late war, he aided in defense of the frontier and at the Battle of Concho (near Roby, TX on Dove Creek) fighting indians he was wounded in the thigh. Would have been scalped by Indians had it not been for Daniel W. Smith helping him on his horse. He is a public-spirited, progressive citizen, deeply interested in the welfare of the community and all that pertain to its progress. Buried in (Erath Co.) TX about one mile East of his rock house he built in 1870, which was still standing in 1898. The name of the cemetary is Underwood. No Underwoods are buried there. Jane Susan Easterly Bull and Mrs Mitchell Bull are both buried there. The land the cemetary is on was once John Underwoods land.

Some of this information was from a book written by Lewis, published before 1898.

More About John Wesley Bull:
Politics: Democrat

More About Mrs. Henrietta (Miner) Mitchell:
Residence: Native of Arkansas

Notes for Artilla (Wilson) Long:
maiden name was Long. she was a native of Georgia and came to TX in 1878.

Children of John Bull and Jane Easterly are:
+ 148 i. George W.7 Bull.
149 ii. John Easterly (East) Bull, died in at the age of 23.
150 iii.Solon A. (Soul) Bull.

More About Solon A. (Soul) Bull:
Residence: (Moore) TX

151 iv.Jacob E. (Jake) Bull.

More About Jacob E. (Jake) Bull:
Residence: OK

152 v. Mary Rosalee Bull. She married Daniel W. Smith.

More About Daniel W. Smith:
Residence: (Erath) TX

+ 153 vi.Russell Valentine (Tine) Bull, born January 27, 1847 in (Walker) AL; died January 06, 1913 in Corona (Lincoln) New Mexico.

88. Elisha Rufus6 Bull (John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born August 07, 1820 in (Grainger) TN, and died July 03, 1904 in Crawford (Roger Mills) OK, buried Belleview Cemetary. He married Francis Adeline Boykin December 30, 1858 in (Leon) TX, daughter of Jesse Boykin and Susan.

Notes for Francis Adeline Boykin:
Died as a result of boold poisoning caused by a splinter in her foot.

Children of Elisha Bull and Francis Boykin are:
154 i. Joseph7 Bull.
155 ii. John Anderson Bull, born November 02, 1859 in (Leon) TX; died March 22, 1906. He married (1) Manerva Elizabeth Smith October 18, 1882 in 1st wife. He married (2) Frances Emma Barton August 27, 1891.
156 iii.Green Asher Bull, born June 20, 1861 in (Leon) TX; died June 28, 1928 in Mangum, OK. He married Elizabeth Haston January 04, 1904.
157 iv.Leah Aseneth Bull, born December 18, 1863 in (Leon) TX; died September 08, 1870.
158 v. James Gan Bull, born February 18, 1866 in (Leon) TX; died July 13, 1915 in (Roger Mills) OK. He married Saliney Belle Underwood May 21, 1895 in OK.
+ 159 vi.Fetnah Ann Bull, born July 23, 1869 in (Leon) TX; died September 09, 1940 in Denver, CO, bur. Union Highland Cem.
160 vii.Russell Randolph (Ran) Buell, born July 23, 1869 in (Leon) TX; died November 19, 1923 in Washington. He married Emma Ellis December 16, 1900.

Notes for Russell Randolph (Ran) Bull:
later changed name of Bull to Buell

161 viii.William Rufus Bull, born July 14, 1872 in (Erath) TX; died March 23, 1881 in TX.
162 ix. Pleasant Jacob Bull, born March 25, 1875 in (Hamilton) TX; died August 05, 1969 in OK. He married (1) Saliney Belle Underwood 1916 in 1st wife. He married (2) Tempie (Hogue) Largent March 29, 1956.
163 x. Mary Luter Bull, born July 10, 1877 in (Sommervelle) TX; died August 1939 in CA. She married William Henry Keahey 1898.
164 xi. Merry Luther Bull, born July 10, 1877 in (Sommervelle) TX; died July 28, 1958 in Baldwin Park, CA, bur. Rose Hills Cem. in Whittier, CA. He married (1) Ella A. Barton 1903 in 1st wife. He married (2) Ada Grace Holt January 01, 1909 in Cheyenne, OK.

89. Hannah Rosannah6 Bull (John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born August 09, 1822 in (Grainger) TN, and died July 23, 1863 in (Hunt?)TX. She married Joseph B. Stanford Aft. 1853.

Notes for Hannah Rosannah Bull:
moved from (Marion) A to (Leon) TX about 1853

More About Hannah Rosannah Bull:
Comment 1: There is nothing to show that Hannah went with her mother and others to Texas in 1853, but we believe she married between 1850 and 1853, and we know that she did go to Texas, supposedly Hunt Co., there are no records at present as to what became of them.

More About Joseph B. Stanford:
Census: 1860, Marion Co, AL; p.710; Farmer; age:34

Children of Hannah Bull and Joseph Stanford are:
165 i. Haman K.7 Stanford, born Abt. 1854 in AL.

More About Haman K. Stanford:
Census: 1860, Marion Co, AL; p.710

166 ii. William Rufus Stanford, born Abt. 1855 in AL.

More About William Rufus Stanford:

167 iii. James A. Stanford, born Abt. 1856 in AL.

More About James A. Stanford:

168 iv.Rausamond B. Stanford, born Abt. 1858 in AL.

More About Rausamond B. Stanford:
Census: August 01, 1860, Marion Co, AL; p.710; age: 2

90. Mary Emaline "Emma"6 Bull (John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born December 09, 1827 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL, and died August 31, 1902 in (Hood) TX. She married Jacob (Jake) Jennings Underwood 1848 in (Walker) AL, son of Alexander Underwood and Lavina Pruitt.

Notes for Mary Emaline "Emma" Bull:
Had a total of nine boys and one girl.

More About Mary Emaline "Emma" Bull:
Burial: Brooks Cem., (Hood) TX

More About Jacob (Jake) Jennings Underwood:
Burial: Brooks Cem., (Hood) TX

Children of Mary Bull and Jacob Underwood are:
169 i. William Bean7 Underwood, born November 17, 1858 in (Leon) TX; died December 16, 1938 in Paluxy (Hood) TX.
+ 170 ii. Norman Pruitt Underwood, born February 23, 1861; died April 06, 1952 in Chalk Mtn., TX.

99. Pleasant B6 BULL (Elisha5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born June 03, 1833 in Grainger Co, TN, and died October 03, 1905 in Brown Co, TX. He married Nancy Jane BROOKS July 08, 1872 in Hood Co, TX.

More About Pleasant B BULL:
Burial: Mukewater Cem, Brown Co, TX

More About Nancy Jane BROOKS:

Children of Pleasant BULL and Nancy BROOKS are:
+ 171 i. Ann L7 BULL, born June 04, 1875 in Hood Co, TX; died September 06, 1962.
+ 172 ii. Minerva J "Jennie" BULL, born July 31, 1878 in Hood Co, TX; died January 07, 1968.
+ 173 iii.Sarah Adaline BULL, born April 1881 in Brown Co, TX.
174 iv.Luella "Ellie" BULL, born August 1883 in Brown Co, TX. She married J.A. BAKER February 17, 1907.
+ 175 v. Malta Willis BULL, born July 11, 1886 in Brown Co, TX; died July 30, 1961 in Brown Co, TX.

105. Jacob6 Bull (Jesse5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born Abt. 1827 in Harlan Co, Kentucky, and died in Berryville, Carroll Co., Arkansas. He married Charity Slusher December 15, 1847 in Jacob Bull's Home, Harlan Co., Kentucky, daughter of Jacob Slusher and Elizabeth.

Children of Jacob Bull and Charity Slusher are:
176 i. Angeletta7 Bull, born Abt. 1848. She married James Jr. Green June 16, 1874 in Pineville, Bell Co., Kentucky.
177 ii. Squire T. Bull, born Abt. 1852.
178 iii.Elizabeth Jane Bull, born Abt. 1854. She married Jefferson Hendrickson December 03, 1874 in B.M. Slusher residence, Pineville, Bell Co., Kentucky.
179 iv.Rachael Bull, born March 07, 1856 in Carroll Co., Arkansas; died May 26, 1926 in Berryville, Carroll Co., Arkansas. She married William Botner.
180 v. Elkanah Bull, born April 28, 1860; died April 26, 1934 in Stone Co., Missouri. He married Parthena Bonham April 08, 1883 in Carroll Co., Arkansas.
181 vi.Margaret Bull, born October 12, 1861.
182 vii.Sherman Bull, born May 06, 1866 in Harlan Co, Kentucky; died August 13, 1942 in Branson, Taney Co., Missouri. He married Annis Clinkenbeard June 19, 1885 in Berryville, Carroll Co., Arkansas.
183 viii.Sarah Ellen Bull, born Abt. 1873 in Pineville, Bell Co., Kentucky. She married Columbus G. Karnes September 24, 1888 in Carroll Co., Arkansas.

108. Elizabeth6 Bull (Jesse5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born Abt. 1830 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. She married Andrew Wilder 1850.

Child of Elizabeth Bull and Andrew Wilder is:
184 i. Unknown7 Wilder, born July 06, 1852 in Black Water, Harlan Co., Kentucky; died July 07, 1852.

109. Catherine6 Bull (Jesse5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1834 in Ohio, and died Bef. 1876 in Bell Co., Kentucky. She married Sampson Miracle December 01, 1853 in Harlan Co., Kentucky, son of Andrew Miracle and Rhoda Wilder.

Children of Catherine Bull and Sampson Miracle are:
185 i. Phebe7 Miracle, born 1857. She married John Taylor.
186 ii. Charity Miracle, born April 16, 1860 in Harlan Co, Kentucky; died November 26, 1947 in Tillsonburg, Oxford Co., Ontario. She married Issac Newton Taylor 1877 in Kentucky.
187 iii.Esther Miracle, born 1865.
188 iv.William Miracle, born 1865.
189 v. Rachel Miracle, born 1868.
190 vi.Nancy J. Miracle, born June 25, 1870 in Miracle, Bell Co., Kentucky; died November 03, 1939 in Pineville, Bell Co., Kentucky. She married John Saylor July 01, 1886 in Miracle, Bell Co., Kentucky.
191 vii.Malinda Miracle, born 1873. She married Lewis Faultner Miracle.
192 viii.Andrew Miracle, born 1875.

110. Jesse Brittain6 Bull (Jesse5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1838 in Harlan Co, Kentucky. He married Margaret Pittman 1860, daughter of Joseph Pittman and Cynthia Wilson.

Children of Jesse Bull and Margaret Pittman are:
193 i. Jesse7 Bull.
194 ii. Martha Bull.
195 iii.William Bull.
196 iv.John C. Buell, born January 16, 1863. He married Mary E. Pursifull.

113. Elijah6 BULL (Vincent Garrard5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born October 20, 1824, and died July 02, 1906. He married (1) Susannah Easterly March 25, 1846, daughter of Johnathan Easterly and Susannha (Ely). He married (2) Widow Mary (Read)Thompson February 15, 1849. He married (3) Elizabeth Bogard Trotter December 15, 1874.

Children of Elijah BULL and Widow (Read)Thompson are:
197 i. Mary Adeline (Addie)7 BULL. She married William B. Cate.
+ 198 ii. Melville Elijah (Mellie) BULL.
199 iii.Susan Elizabeth (Sue) BULL. She married William Naile.
200 iv.Rosemond Caroline (Carrie) BULL. She married Perry Cate.
201 v. Adra Paralee BULL. She married Pryor Cate.
+ 202 vi.William Gernard (Billy) BULL, born 1850.
203 vii.Mahala Jane (Jennie) BULL, born August 13, 1860; died January 18, 1945. She married John L. Perry August 25, 1881.
204 viii.Noah W. BULL, born February 02, 1867; died 1870.

Children of Elijah BULL and Elizabeth Trotter are:
+ 205 i. Adelia (Delie)7 Trotter, Foster child.
206 ii. Kettie Bull. She married Dr. W. P. Watson.
207 iii.Vincent Bull, died in drowned in the Columbia River in WA or OR.
208 iv.Sammy Bull, died in infancy.

119. William6 Bull (Abraham5, William4, Abraham3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1797 in Harford, Maryland, and died Bef. 1854 in Highland Co., Ohio. He married Nancy Fox, daughter of Daniel Fox and Nancy Bowman.

Children of William Bull and Nancy Fox are:
209 i. Mary Dyer7 Bull, born December 31, 1822 in Perry Twp., Brown Co., Ohio; died April 20, 1892 in Peebles, Adam Co., Ohio.
210 ii. Aaron Bull, born December 24, 1824 in Perry Twp., Brown Co., Ohio; died October 08, 1898 in Wayne Co., Iowa. He married Permelia Cox April 12, 1845 in Brown Co., Ohio.
211 iii.Hezekiah Bull, born November 27, 1826 in Perry Twp., Brown Co., Ohio.
212 iv.Stephen Bull, born 1827; died April 16, 1903.
213 v. Samuel Bull, born 1834 in Perry Twp., Brown Co., Ohio.
214 vi.Hannah Bull, born March 04, 1836; died October 07, 1886.
215 vii.Daniel Dyer Bull, born April 01, 1837; died February 11, 1903.
216 viii.Aurelea Bull, born 1843 in Perry Twp., Brown Co., Ohio.
217 ix. Laticia (Hatira) Bull, born 1845 in Perry Twp., Brown Co., Ohio.

126. Samuel Corbin6 Bull (Corbin5, Edward4, Jacob3, Jacob2, John1) was born September 19, 1834 in Shelby Co., Kentucky, and died January 19, 1905 in Franklin Co., Kentucky. He married Jaquelin Page 1858 in Franklin Co., Kentucky, daughter of Thomas Page and Jane Julian.

Children of Samuel Bull and Jaquelin Page are:
218 i. Samuel Corbin Jr.7 Bull.
219 ii. Francis Dane Bull, born July 02, 1867 in Franklin Co., Kentucky; died July 29, 1939 in Lake Providence, East Carroll Parish, Louisiana. He married Ruth Reynolds March 31, 1903 in Lake Village, Chicot Co., Arkansas.

127. Eloisa Emiline6 Amos (William Mauldin5, Rachel4 Bull, William3, Jacob2, John1) was born July 04, 1815 in Merriwether Co., Georgia, and died August 08, 1889 in Drew Co., Arkansas. She married William Payton Bond December 05, 1833.

Child of Eloisa Amos and William Bond is:
220 i. Oliver Payton7 Bond, born July 21, 1843 in Merriwether Co., Georgia; died January 05, 1927 in Greenhill, Drew Co., Arkansas. He married Helen E. Ragland.

Generation No. 7

128. Mary Rosamond7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born January 20, 1850 in Marion, AL, and died October 27, 1929 in Round Timber (Baylor) Texas. She married John Franklin Johnston 1869 in Texas, Source#1293.135.

More About Mary Rosamond Bull:

Notes for John Franklin Johnston:
went to texas ca. 1885 to find homestead land. Ina short time he sent for his wife and family to join him. Mary was then expecting her last (7th) child Charles. They went by wagon train and settled in Baylor Co. for awhile. They were in Grayson Co. in 1891.

More About John Franklin Johnston:

Children of Mary Bull and John Johnston are:
221 i. George8 Johnston.
222 ii. Lydia Johnston.
223 iii.Eudora B. "Dora" Johnston, born 1869. She married Will Smith.
224 iv.Mary Clementine "Clem" Johnston, born 1872. She married ROBERT E. "BOB" DUNLAP Abt. 1897.
225 v. Jacob M. "Jake" Johnston, born 1874.

Notes for Jacob M. "Jake" Johnston:
moved to CA

Johnnie Johnston: Uncle Jake (Jacob) lived and farmed near Lubbock for many years, then came to CA. he and his sons . . . I have lost them since he died. Jesse worked for Leslie Salt Co. near Los Banos Ca. The girl Odessa . . . Willard and Odess are dead . . . the others I have no word from in twenty five years.

226 vi.John S. Johnston, born 1876; died in CA?. He married Margaret.

Notes for John S. Johnston:
Johnnie Johnston: he was a barber in San Francisco. Died of a heart attack many years ago . . . daughter Margaret . . . wife Margaret . . . John E (saying he had a son John?) in Los Angeles somewhere.

227 vii.HENRY LYTLE JOHNSTON, born April 25, 1878; died Abt. 1915. He married SALLIE AMAZON EILAND.
228 viii.SAMUEL JOHNSTON, born 1879.
229 ix. Charles Timmons Johnston, born April 24, 1883 in Whitesboro TX. He married ELIZABETH ALLEN December 20, 1910.
230 x. ARCHIE ANDERSON JOHNSTON, died in moved to OR. He married VIVAN GORE.

129. Pleasant Valentine7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born April 14, 1851 in Marion, AL, and died Aft. July 27, 1870 in died young in OK. He married Alta.

Notes for Pleasant Valentine Bull:
Living at home and working on the family farm at age 19. Shows up on 1870 census.

More About Pleasant Valentine Bull:

Child of Pleasant Bull and Alta is:
231 i. Myrtle8 Bull, born in took the name of her stepfather.

130. Hannah Caroline (Carrie)7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born October 09, 1852 in Marion, AL, and died July 02, 1915 in OK. She married John Edward McCullough, son of Jonathan McCullough and Adeline.

More About Hannah Caroline (Carrie) Bull:

Notes for John Edward McCullough:
During the Civil War when the soldiers were roaming about.., stealing and looting, John's father although advanced in age, was taken and never seen again. His mother managed to recover a silver spoon (or fork) that was dropped out of a sack when her things were being taken. Hannah and John had children but I do not know who they were.

Children of Hannah Bull and John McCullough are:
232 i. Ethel8 McCullough, died in childhood.

More About Ethel McCullough:
Burial: Old Union Baptist Cemetery near Haleyville, AL

233 ii. Jahugh McCullough, died Abt. 1935. He married Lula Shirley Abt. 1906.

131. Martha Permela7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born August 16, 1854 in Marion, AL, and died in OK. She married Jack Byars in 1st wife, son of Dudley Byars and Melissa Shaw.

More About Martha Permela Bull:

More About Jack Byars:
Burial: Charleston Cem

Children of Martha Bull and Jack Byars are:
234 i. Mary Ida8 Byars, born in Marion Co, AL; died in Indian Terr, OK. She married Emmett Cole.

Notes for Mary Ida Byars:
Ida remembered when she went with her parents to OK and while on the train near Ft. Smith, AR that notorious outlaw Jesse James got on and gave a $20 gold piece to a girl on the train.

More About Mary Ida Byars:

235 ii. Bertie Ann Byars, born March 06, 1884 in Tipton Co, TN. She married Walter Byars.
236 iii.Nora Maude Byars, born August 26, 1887 in Tipton Co, TN. She married Wilmer Richardson.

Notes for Nora Maude Byars:
Had 8 children. One died as an infant, and 2 sons died as yound children. All others were still living in 1975.

A daughter, Mrs. Willie Cranford, was still living at the old homeplace that her husband bought from her grandfather (Jacob Washington Bull) at the time of his death.

237 iv.Lilly Audrey Byars, born March 06, 1894 in Tipton Co, TN; died December 10, 1926 in Tipton Co, TN. She married Jim Cunningham.
238 v. Fannie Sue Byars, born in twin; died in age: 26. She married Henry Burgess.
239 vi.Mattie Lue Byars, born in twin; died in childhood.

More About Mattie Lue Byars:

240 vii.Cecil Byars, died in OK - unmarried.

132. John Jacob Washington7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born October 24, 1855 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL, and died February 06, 1931 in (Marion) AL. He married Columbia Mensaphine Loden June 13, 1888 in (Marion) AL, daughter of Nathan Loden and Sarah Burleson.

Notes for John Jacob Washington Bull:
Started out farming in (Texas?), but later moved to AL where he farmed.

More About John Jacob Washington Bull:
Burial: Cedar Tree Cemetery @ Hwy 172 in Hackleburg (Marion Co.) Alabama
Census: July 19, 1860, Marion Co, AL; p.694, age: 4

Notes for Columbia Mensaphine Loden:
Lumbull area near Bear Creek, Alabama was named for her by her husband

More About Columbia Mensaphine Loden:
Burial: Cedar Tree Cemetery @ Hwy 172 in Hackleburg (Marion Co.) Alabama

Children of John Bull and Columbia Loden are:
241 i. Evalina8 Bull, born March 28, 1889; died November 19, 1973 in Birmingham, Jefferson, AL. She married John Gordon Osborne August 31, 1908.

More About Evalina Bull:
Social Security Number: 1963, 264-80-6202 issued FL

More About John Gordon Osborne:
Social Security Number: Bef. 1951, 423-07-5013 issued AL

242 ii. Alta (Alfie) Bull, born October 27, 1890; died October 18, 1897.

More About Alta (Alfie) Bull:
Burial: Old Union Baptist Cemetary 2 mi. east of Bear Creek (Marion Co.) AL on County Hwy 62, north side of hwy NEXT TO HER GRANDFATHER Jacob Washington Bull

243 iii.Frate Bull, born August 24, 1893 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL; died August 1984 in Sparta, Hancock, GA. He married (1) Ludwina Garrett in Sparta, GA; 3rd wife. He married (2) Maud Denson Bef. August 27, 1921 in 1st marriage. He married (3) Sarah Roberts Aft. November 14, 1929 in 2nd marriage; Divorced.

More About Frate Bull:
Residence: Sparta, Hancock, GA
Social Security Number: 1965, 257-80-3939 in GA

More About Ludwina Garrett:
Residence: Thomson, Mc Duffie, GA
Social Security Number: Bef. 1951, 231-36-7784 in VA

244 iv.Mary Rosamond (Rosa) Bull, born October 24, 1894 in Bear Creek (Marion) AL; died April 17, 1977 in Pine Bluff (Jefferson) AR. She married George Campbell Osborn May 05, 1920 in Russellville, AL.

Notes for Mary Rosamond (Rosa) Bull:
Childhood Memories of Mary Rosamond Bull Osborn:

Learning to plow, the makes of plows, guano distributors, cutting wheat, threshing wheat, large goods boxes for containers, straw beds from wheat, straw stacks, pulling fodder, stacking it in the barn and around poles in the fields (taking the fodder up).

Gathering hazelnuts in the bottoms and hickory nuts in the woods at home.

Picking and loading cotton with a basket out of the little house below the old homeplace. Unloading cotton seed with a tub and carrying it to the old smokehouse. (Chickens were safe when they got under the smokehouse.)

Cutting sprouts, replanting corn, clearing land, log-rolling, hauling guano.

Going to school, seeing summer honeysuckles and water lilies.

Wading the creek, finding campfires, throwing rocks on the ice to break it.

Going to Russellville to get Eva's dresses made.

Bear Creek used to have four passenger trains daily.

Hauling pine knots from the McMurray Bend, north of the Vess Norris (Sylvester Thomas Cordell) place on Big Bear Creek.

We'd go through the woods where there were no roads. When we'd run the hub of the wagon against a tree, we'd back up and pile rocks in front of the wheel, and this would throw the hub from against the tree when it ran over the rocks.

The Tom Moore Bend is west of the McMurray, where Brush creek and Big Bear Creek runs together. McMurray was the father-in-law of Tom Moore. The Allens that ran the upper factory (where Mill Creek ran into Bear Creel) and also the Falls Factory (two or three miles west of the upper factory) owned the land where the bends are, also lots of land around the factories. (Allens owned all this.) Mell Allen, his wife and his daughter, Nellie, lived at the upper factory. (Little Mell, Nellie's son, has relatives at the Falls Factory site.)

Nellie's mother was from Florence, AL, and Nellie spent lots of time there. There's a street in Florence, named in Nellie's honor.

Aunt Mary Patterson, a Negro slave, lived in the servant quarters there and cooked for whoever lived there. She was named for the Pattersons that once owned the land and slaves. The Pattersons originally owned the land around Bear Creek, where the schoolhouse is built. Also, they were ancestors of John Patterson that once lived near Fairview Church. lee and Athel Lang, two of his sons, still live in the community. Lang Allen and family, also his bachelor brother, Joe, lived at the Falls Factory.

The factories made thread and rope. Peddlers went over the country and sold or swapped the thread to people to use in weaving. Grandma (Polk) Mullins came from one of the Allen factories that went broke in Pickens County. She was a young girl then. I think she was Alice McAlister.

Uncle John McCullough and Mr. Mullins were first cousins. Their mothers were sisters. Tories kidnapped Uncle John's father, who was too old to go to the Civil War. They never heard of him again. Grandmother Mc had a silver spoon that they dropped at her house while taking things from them.

I learned to run an Avery turning plow at 11 years of age. (Later, we used Oliver Chilled turning plows. We had one Chattanooga plow.) I continued to plow, doing most anything that was done with a team or just 'Old Deller' or the grey mare or 'Old Pet', a black mule, also other mules. We'd ride to and from the fields on the mules.

I also helped snake logs out of the fields with a yoke of oxen. I'd run the disc harrow, usually with an ox team. I've also run the hay mower before and since I married. I usually ran the one-row corn planter, one-row plows with bull-tongue plow and sweep.

Our plow lines were 32 feet long. We'd stretch the lines to make them even, then cut them in two, making a loop in one end and usually a snap at the other end to fasten in the bridle bit.

After the land was turned, we'd use a guano distributor to lay the rows off with. It had a hopper on a plow stock to put the guano into. There was a spout behind the hopper, leading down behind the plow to the ground. A wheel in front of the hopper turned as the plow was being pulled. Also, a gadget rubbed against the side of the wheel where little spokes or bolts hit them when the wheel turned and made a knocking sound. They kept the guano shaken down and out the back into the spout and around.

Before I learned to plow, it was my job to walk behind the guano distributor and drop two grains of corn every other step. Someone followed behind with a double-shovel plow, a top harrow or sometimes two trips to the row with a bull-tongue or other plow to cover the corn.

Before guano distributors were available, people used long funnel-shaped tin horns. They called them guano horns. They were also used to plant cotton seed through.

They used short sacks with a strap over the shoulder like the ones used in cotton picking. The seed or guano was put into these sacks. One hand held the horn by the funneled top. The other was used to let the seed or guano through the horn a little at a time. Usually, the horn was dragged in the furrow or held near it so the seed or guano would be sure to go into the furrow.

When we children were very small, Mr. Tom Kelley brought his wheat harvester from Kelley's Mill, southwest of Haleyville, and cut and tied the wheat in the field (north) above the first fence row, then known as 'the ten-acre field'. It cut and tied the bundles and threw them in piles of 6. Helpers piled 12 bundles together, then stood 10 up and tuned the heads of the other 2 down over the others to keep the rain off.

We children and others followed the combine or harvester over the field. All this was a real show to us.

After the crops were laid by, someone would come with a threshing machine and put it down at the back of the barn where the house stands now. Father had already had the wheat hauled and stacked under the shed at the barn. The wheat thresher was run similar to the old hay balers. Someone threw the bundles into the hoppers, and horses or mules went around in circles to turn the machinery. Someone had to pack the grain, and others kept the wheat straw back out of the way with pitchforks.

People from all around came with bed ticks, usually made of unbleached domestic (muslin) to get straw for the beds, usually to use under feather beds. This was before bed springs were available.

The surplus wheat straw was stacked in long racks so cattle could get under and feed on the straw. Father stored the wheat in large wooden boxes that we got from merchants that had been used to ship dry goods in. He'd have to keep it sunned to keep out weevils if it was kept long.

Sometimes, he'd take wheat to a flour mill at Pearle's Mill, east of Hamilton, Alabama (or elsewhere). The flour is dark in the natural form. Phosphate is added to commercial wheat to bleach it. The sifters at the mill also separated the flour from shorts, seconds and bran.

In the Spring, we'd have to cut sprouts and replant corn with a hoe. The land was cleared by cutting the small bushes with axes; usually children did this. The men - sometimes women and older children - cut the larger saplings; the younger ones or women piled the brush. The large trees were sometimes cut down and sawed into different lengths to be piled up and burned. (Men would come and bring their families and spend the day.) The menfolk used log stick (poles); usually 4 to 6 men - half on each side of the log - would lift and carry the logs and pile them side by side over the new ground.

Early in the Spring, they would set fire to the log heaps - also to the brush piles - and burn the new ground off. The ground was laid off in rows with a bull-tongue plow and a colter to cut the roots. We'd use scovil hoes to cut the sprouts as they are heavy hoes with an eye to put your own strong handle in. (The women cooked delicious dinners and sometimes suppers for everybody. Sometimes, they'd quilt a quilt.)

Early each Spring, you could hear the sreeching of the brakes on the wagons of people coming down Brush Creek Hill from the west. Sometimes, they came from as far as Hodges or farther. They also hauled the baled cotton to be shipped from Bear Creek.

This was before the Illinois Central (I.C.) Railroad was built. The right of way was cut in 1904. The pillars under the bridge across were built or poured (concrete) in 1905.

Mr. Henry Cassels, the boss, went back home about July 4, 1905, on a vacation. All the hands, I think, could have gone free from Grand Junction, Tennessee, where they transferred to the I.C. None of them went except Father.

Mr. Cassels had a wife and one daughter, Galdys. They lived at 6436 Champlain Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Gladys came back years later with he father to inspect the pillars. They got off the Dude after dark at Lumbull and borrowed a lantern and came to our house and stayed several days. (We didn't know they were coming.)

Also later, I think, Mrs. Cassels wrote Mother a letter and asked Mother if she and Gladys might visit us. At that time, we only had the room with the fireplace, a porch and side room. Mother told Father she was going to write her not to come. He hired Sherman Evans and Mr. Wiley to come help.

Father went to Haleyville and got dressed lumber for the walls, ceilings and floors - also doors and windows. He also got flooring for the room where the fireplace is.

He and Mother went to town and got a wicker rocker, a center table and a large dresser that was still in the house when Mother moved to the new house.

The railroad was completed in 1907.

Contractors with large mules and scoops or graders with wheels were used to move the dirt for short distances. The laborers were mostly Negroes. They loaded the scoops like they do the ones to build terraces, except these had wheels and were larger. (Bush)

There was a camp on Rocky Branch below the Sherman Hill place; also Bates had a camp between home and the Railroad Bridge. They had moved from near the gravel pit west of John Wilson's place. Tally had a camp near Jake Green's.

After the grading got to where steam shovels could be used, they laid track from Haleyville, to move the steel over to build the bridge. Work trains moved the dirt after the track was laid where they could get over it.

A Mr. Adam was the boss when they built the bridge. His crew were white men. They built a long kitchen and also added to the house Mr. Cassels built. Some of them lived in tents. They made a place in the road bank and had ice shipped in and kept it in sawdust. They also got large trunk-like boxes full of fresh bread from Russellville, Alabama.

Bear Creek had a flourishing business while the railroad was being built. I heard Lucien Phillips say he slept upstairs in the store and had sold as much as a thousand dollars worth lots of nights. Haleyville was much smaller than Bear Creek then and had very poor roads to it.

The contractors came from as far as - or maybe farther than - Vina, Alabama, after supplies. They hired local people with wagons and teams to haul their hay and oats for their teams. Each camp had a commissary to supply the workers with food, etc.

Father and Cousin Oliver Bull each had a wagon and team of oxen and hauled a load of cement - 20 sacks, 100 pounds each - every morning from Bear Creek; then back to No. 8 Cut to get a load of gravel. This was in 1905.

They also hauled the long iron bolts that had to be put into the concrete before it hardened. After they crossed the creek, they hauled the gravel from the side of the road on John Wilson's place.

They had a tank for water part way up the hill from the creek on the west side. They also piped water from the spring there into the kitchen, when they were building the bridge. All the concrete had to be turned by hand, and all the gravel had to be loaded with shovels. They dug deep, square holes for the concrete. Most of them were to solid rock.

Jim Long and Mell King stayed at our house and worked there.

The track was laid all the way to Corinth, Mississippi, before Memorial Day in 1907, I think. They ran a Passenger Excursion Train from Haleyville to Corinth. Father and Eva went for half price, I think. They got on the train at Lumbull. Meda and Sue Bull got on at Goddard and went, too. I guess, of course, they started laying track at Corinth, but don't know where they met.

Mr. Jessie Davis and his family lived in the old log houses in the Bottoms. They cleared the hillsides and cultivated them. They had once been cleared, or at least the ones west of the creek. Mr. George Carroll lived there then and made a thousand bushels of corn with one mule that had to almost walk on three feet. (It had stepped on a stub of a cane that had been cut off.) He built a little barn on the rocks west of the house.

He kept his milk cow under a bluff above the house. He had a fence around it. There were two separate rooms of the house. One was about 20 x 20. Maybe they both were. Each had chimneys. Mother said one was Grandmother Bull's kitchen; the other one was uncle Jack Byar's house that used to set next to the road on the east side before you go down the hill to Lumbull. Grandfather sold them the land, but it didn't come up on the level land. He let them build on his land so she could wait on Grandmother, who was sickly.

He also sold Uncle John McCullough the land where the church is built, and they built close to Grandmother near the line. I think Aunt Caroline was sick when she lived there too. He may have sold John Wilson some land too. They lived at the foot of the hill, where the pasture used to be when Aunt Nancy was living. I don't know if she ever lived in the edge of the field where there was a house when we went to school at Fairview, Alabama.

I think an Adams family originally lived where the old house burned. I think the graves in the field are Nixes.

(As a footnote t these recollections of Mary Rosa Bull Osborn, I think we can assume she did not put in writing all she intended. She had an amazing memory, and these notes she left only scratched the surface. They were jotted down in a little notebook she had entitled "Childhood Memories" and probably were written shortly before she passed away. The pages were loose and not in their rightful order; it is likely that she dropped them and then mixed the pages when she put them back in the notebook. However, as nearly as I could determine., the notes herein are just as she remembered and recorded them herself. Some of them were written with a steady hand and were very legible, but others were almost impossible to decipher. Notes transcribed by Barbara Marvena Fadler Osborn, daughter-in-law.)

More About Mary Rosamond (Rosa) Bull:
Burial: Cedar Tree Cemetery on Hwy 172 in Hackleburg (Marion Co.) Alabama
Emigration: January 04, 1944, Moved with children to Dunklin Co., MO
Funeral: at Hackleburg First Baptist Church
Religion: Baptist
Social Security Number: 1973, 430-19-2435 issued AR

Notes for George Campbell Osborn:
George Campbell Osborn was born on the same farm that his father John S. Osborn was born. Began farming in Georgia, but later moved to AL where he met Mary Rosamond Bull. Originally buried in Kennett, MO. He was reburied in Cedar Tree Cemetary, Hackleburg (Marion) AL after Mary Rosamond Bull his wife died. And they were buried side-by-side.

More About George Campbell Osborn:
Burial: originally buried in Missouri and reburied after Mary Rosamond (Rosa) Bull's death
Education: could not read or write, but was good at math
Emigration: Abt. 1901, Moved with family to Berdette, Ark./left after 2 years
Military service: Georgia Pvt. 40 CO 20 Engineers WWI

245 v. Clara Eugenia Bull, born November 27, 1895; died February 07, 1988 in Winter Haven, Polk, FL. She married Arlie Lee Wiginton.

Notes for Clara Eugenia Bull:
No children

More About Clara Eugenia Bull:
Social Security Number: 1954, 419-48-9204 issued AL

More About Arlie Lee Wiginton:
Social Security Number: Bef. 1951, 418-07-7060 issued AL

246 vi.Essie Caroline Bull, born September 02, 1899; died February 1987 in AL. She married Rufus Wilson.

More About Essie Caroline Bull:
Residence: Haleyville, Winston, AL
Social Security Number: 1954, 418-48-6213 in AL

More About Rufus Wilson:
Residence: Haleyville, Winston, AL
Social Security Number: 424-12-0824 in AL

247 vii.Iona Bull, born March 26, 1901; died May 05, 1989. She married Donald E. Spraggins.

Notes for Iona Bull:
No children

More About Iona Bull:
Social Security Number: 1954, 421-48-7770

More About Donald E. Spraggins:
Social Security Number: 422-14-3837

248 viii.Jacob Court Bull, born November 05, 1904 in AL; died March 1984 in Pauls Valley, Garvin, Oklahoma. He married Velma Annie Mae Sutherland January 14, 1933.

More About Jacob Court Bull:
Education: 1927, graduated from Auburn Univ.
Occupation: Bet. 1927 - 1945, taught vocational agriculture near Preston, GA. Taught a total of 18yrs in GA,TN,OK
Social Security Number: 1952, 444-34-9932

More About Velma Annie Mae Sutherland:
Social Security Number: 1973, 440-64-529 in OK

249 ix. John Lytle Bull, born May 14, 1907; died August 13, 1981. He married Juanita Francis Lauderdale September 17, 1937.

More About John Lytle Bull:
Residence: Tuscumbia, AL
Social Security Number: 1954, 421-48-7708 in AL

133. Nancy Clementine7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born April 23, 1857 in Marion, AL, and died December 25, 1888 in Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa, AL; buried there.. She married John S. Wilson 1878.

More About Nancy Clementine Bull:
Medical (Facts Page): November 08, 1888, File# 3355: admitted State of Alabama Department of Mental Health at Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa, AL at age 32 and in poor health

Children of Nancy Bull and John Wilson are:
250 i. James Archie8 Wilson, born April 22, 1879.
251 ii. Houston Asia Wilson, born May 30, 1881.
252 iii.Oscar Benjamin Wilson, born October 16, 1883.
253 iv.Ida Wilson, born October 12, 1885; died Abt. August 06, 1906 , drowned herself at Brush Creek, Bear Creek, AL.
254 v. Laudie Lawson Wilson, born August 04, 1887.

135. Margaret "Virginia" Eugenia "Eugenah"7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born December 06, 1859 in Marion, AL, and died July 11, 1902 in Covington, TN. She married Dr. Andrew Johnson "Jack" Roby October 20, 1881.

More About Margaret "Virginia" Eugenia "Eugenah" Bull:
Census: July 19, 1860, Marion Co, AL; p.694; age: 2

Children of Margaret Bull and Dr. Roby are:
255 i. Lang Wallace8 Roby, born July 15, 1882.
256 ii. Amber (Ambia) Roby, born April 22, 1884; died 1973.

More About Amber (Ambia) Roby:

257 iii.Alvah Roby, born October 22, 1886.
258 iv.Fain Roby, born March 25, 1892.
259 v. Myrtle Roby, born December 03, 1894; died 1973 in Unmarried.
260 vi.Carl Roby, born January 27, 1897; died in (paralyzed from waist down).
261 vii.Lucille Roby, born May 13, 1900. She married Otis Burleson.

More About Lucille Roby:
Residence: Hamilton, AL

136. Joseph Marion7 Bull (Jacob Washington6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born March 15, 1861 in (Marion) AL, and died February 14, 1941 in Covington, TN, buried at Covington. He married (1) Sarah Frances (Fannie) Coker in 2nd wife:These may not be the correct children. He married (2) Posie Byars.

More About Joseph Marion Bull:
Census: 1870, AL -Marion Co. p4a
Residence: near Tabernacle (Tipton) TN

Notes for Sarah Frances (Fannie) Coker:
2nd wife of Joseph Marion Bull
the niece of his 1st wife

Notes for Posie Byars:
1st wife of Joseph Marion Bull

Children of Joseph Bull and Sarah Coker are:
262 i. Charles Clifford8 Bull, born August 28, 1893; died March 04, 1964 in MS.
263 ii. Edward Carmack Bull, born October 02, 1895 in lived near Covington, TN; died January 25, 1961 in shoulder shot off in WWI.
264 iii.Pleasant Thaddeus (Thad) Bull, born 1898 in lived near Covington, TN.
265 iv.Mary Edna Bull, born October 03, 1900.
266 v. Carrie Bell (Kate) Bull, born January 23, 1903. She married Edgar Whitehorn.
267 vi.James Arnold Bull, born October 19, 1905; died January 16, 1989 in Covington, TN.
268 vii.Joseph Marion (Little Joe) Jr. Bull, born January 22, 1909 in lived near Covington, TN.

Children of Joseph Bull and Posie Byars are:
269 i. Unknown twin 18 Bull, died in died as children.
270 ii. Unknown twin 2 Bull, died in died as children.
271 iii.Unknown Bull, died in died as children.

139. Margaret Elizabeth7 Bull (Russell Samuel Sellers6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born September 16, 1853 in AL, and died July 15, 1915. She married Robert Freeman.

More About Margaret Elizabeth Bull:

Children of Margaret Bull and Robert Freeman are:
272 i. Leslie A.8 Freeman, born March 31, 1895; died April 28, 1897.
273 ii. Albert B. Freeman, born September 17, 1896; died September 20, 1896.

140. Rosamond "Rausamon" Anderson7 Bull (Russell Samuel Sellers6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born February 07, 1855 in AL, and died March 1936. She married James Russell Creamer.

More About Rosamond "Rausamon" Anderson Bull:

Children of Rosamond Bull and James Creamer are:
274 i. Susie Vivian8 Creamer, born August 24, 1889; died March 26, 1960. She married Atticus Gwynn Blanton September 02, 1906.

More About Atticus Gwynn Blanton:

275 ii. Mary Elizabeth Creamer, born August 12, 1892.
276 iii.Laura B. Creamer, born January 22, 1884. She married Unknown Houston.

147. Sarah Josephine7 Bull (Russell Samuel Sellers6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born March 02, 1870 in AL, and died August 27, 1962. She married John Barnett December 1902.

More About Sarah Josephine Bull:

Children of Sarah Bull and John Barnett are:
277 i. Mary Russell8 Barnett, born January 23, 1904.
278 ii. Vivian Ruth Barnett, born October 08, 1905; died January 02, 1936.
279 iii.Virginia Lorena Barnett, born June 22, 1907. She married Debver West.
280 iv.John Leslie Barnett, born February 07, 1909. He married Sarah Wyatt.

148. George W.7 Bull (John Wesley6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1).

More About George W. Bull:
Residence: (Greer) OK

Child of George W. Bull is:
281 i. Joe8 Bull.

153. Russell Valentine (Tine)7 Bull (John Wesley6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born January 27, 1847 in (Walker) AL, and died January 06, 1913 in Corona (Lincoln) New Mexico. He married Charlotte Meek.

More About Russell Valentine (Tine) Bull:
Religion: (Stephens) TX

Child of Russell Bull and Charlotte Meek is:
282 i. Bruce Meek8 Bull, born April 19, 1873 in (Hood) TX; died June 24, 1949 in Lefors (Gray) TX. He married Polly Lee Murchison October 22, 1899.

159. Fetnah Ann7 Bull (Elisha Rufus6, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born July 23, 1869 in (Leon) TX, and died September 09, 1940 in Denver, CO, bur. Union Highland Cem. She married John William Brinlee December 15, 1892 in (Leon) TX.

Child of Fetnah Bull and John Brinlee is:
283 i. Ethel Mary8 Brinlee, born October 31, 1893 in Erath Co., Texas; died October 07, 1971 in Englewood, Colo.. She married (1) Earnest Rowe July 28, 1914. She married (2) Walter Clarence Crites February 15, 1920.

170. Norman Pruitt7 Underwood (Mary Emaline "Emma"6 Bull, John Valentine5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born February 23, 1861, and died April 06, 1952 in Chalk Mtn., TX. He married Lela B. Howard January 01, 1890 in TX, daughter of L. Howard and Bethelda Ellis.

Child of Norman Underwood and Lela Howard is:
284 i. Vera8 Underwood. She married C. E. Flowers.

171. Ann L7 BULL (Pleasant B6, Elisha5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born June 04, 1875 in Hood Co, TX, and died September 06, 1962. She married Robert M RAINEY January 13, 1897 in Brown Co, TX.

More About Ann L BULL:

Children of Ann BULL and Robert RAINEY are:
285 i. Plez8 RAINEY.
286 ii. Mary RAINEY.
287 iii.Clifford RAINEY.
288 iv.Joe RAINEY.
289 v. Arby RAINEY.

172. Minerva J "Jennie"7 BULL (Pleasant B6, Elisha5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born July 31, 1878 in Hood Co, TX, and died January 07, 1968. She married A.M. Tim MCINTOSH February 02, 1909 in Brown Co, TX.

More About Minerva J "Jennie" BULL:

Children of Minerva BULL and A.M. MCINTOSH are:
290 i. Helen8 MCINTOSH.
291 ii. Warren MCINTOSH.

173. Sarah Adaline7 BULL (Pleasant B6, Elisha5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born April 1881 in Brown Co, TX. She married Gordon CONKLIN December 24, 1905 in Brown Co, TX.

Children of Sarah BULL and Gordon CONKLIN are:
292 i. Ivan8 CONKLIN.
293 ii. Elmo CONKLIN.

175. Malta Willis7 BULL (Pleasant B6, Elisha5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born July 11, 1886 in Brown Co, TX, and died July 30, 1961 in Brown Co, TX. He married Lessie D CONKLIN January 08, 1905 in Brown Co, TX.

More About Malta Willis BULL:
Burial: Bangs Cem, Bangs, Brown Co, TX

More About Lessie D CONKLIN:

Children of Malta BULL and Lessie CONKLIN are:
294 i. Audrey D8 BULL, born May 19, 1906 in Brown Co, TX.
295 ii. Claudia BULL, born February 18, 1908 in Brown Co, TX; died January 14, 1952 in Santa Anna, TX. She married William Roger HOLT November 12, 1931 in Bangs, Brown Co, TX.

Notes for Claudia BULL:
[canals.FTW]

Claudia Bull was born_________________ in Brown County, Texas, the second
child of Malta Bull and Lessie Conklin Bull. The Bull family had
continued to live on the same land received by Pleasant Bull when he came
to Brown County in 1878. Claudia Bull had sandy-colored hair and
___________ eyes. She attended began school at Sand Creek and in 19 when
the Buffalo School was built began attending there as it was closer to
home. Upon graduation from grade school she went into Brownwood to attend
high school while her older sister, Audrey, attended Daniel Baker College.
Upon completing high school, Claudia went to college at Tarleton State
College in Stephenville. She earned a degree in teaching and began her
teaching career at ___________________. Her older sister, Audrey, was
also a school teacher and had married Welton Holt. Welton had been raised
around Liberty community and Audrey and Claudia's aunt and uncle, Gordon
Conklin and Sally Bull Conklin lived in the same community and perhaps
that his where the Bull family and the Holt family first met. Claudia met
Welton's younger brother, Roger, and they were married on
_________________ in Bangs, Texas, at the home of the pastor of the
Baptist church, _____________ ___________.

More About Claudia BULL:
Burial: Santa Anna Cem, Santa Anna, Coleman Co, TX

More About William Roger HOLT:

296 iii.Pauline BULL, born September 26, 1910 in Brown Co, TX; died November 01, 1993 in Brady, McCulloch Co, TX. She married Walter Chris HOLT October 31, 1933.

More About Walter Chris HOLT:

297 iv.Malta Yantis BULL, born November 19, 1912 in Brown Co, TX.
298 v. Bessie Fay BULL, born June 18, 1915 in Brown Co, TX.
299 vi.James Scott BULL, born June 07, 1918 in Brown Co, TX; died March 24, 1978 in Llano, Llano Co, TX.

More About James Scott BULL:

300 vii.Mallie Lou BULL, born April 02, 1921 in Brown Co, TX.
301 viii.Hubert Loftis BULL, born October 18, 1923 in Brown Co, TX.
302 ix. Eddie Urban BULL, born June 01, 1926 in Brown Co, TX.
303 x. Kenneth Winson BULL, born December 04, 1930 in Brown Co, TX.
304 xi. Melvin Wayne BULL, born March 02, 1936 in Brown Co, TX.

198. Melville Elijah (Mellie)7 BULL (Elijah6, Vincent Garrard5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1). He married Adelia (Delie) Trotter, daughter of Elijah BULL and Elizabeth Trotter.

Children of Melville BULL and Adelia Trotter are:
305 i. Alice8 BULL. She married Jones.
306 ii. Noah BULL. He married Elder.
307 iii.William BULL.
308 iv.Newton BULL.
309 v. Amos BULL.
310 vi.Elizabeth BULL. She married Jones.
311 vii.Lemuel BULL.
312 viii.Buford BULL.

202. William Gernard (Billy)7 BULL (Elijah6, Vincent Garrard5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1) was born 1850. He married Emma White.

Children of William BULL and Emma White are:
313 i. John8 BULL. He married Ollie McMahan.
314 ii. Mattie BULL, died in in her 20's.
315 iii.Jacob (Jake) BULL. He married Nellie.
316 iv.Mary BULL. She married Langford Humpston.
317 v. Carroll BULL. He married Zelma Smith.
318 vi.Howard BULL.
319 vii.Sallie BULL. She married Arle Curry.
320 viii.Lucy BULL. She married Ike Spickard.
321 ix. Abernathy BULL.

205. Adelia (Delie)7 Trotter (Elijah6 BULL, Vincent Garrard5, Jacob4, John3, Jacob2, John1). She married Melville Elijah (Mellie) BULL, son of Elijah BULL and Widow (Read)Thompson.

Children of Adelia Trotter and Melville BULL are:
322 i. Alice8 BULL. She married Jones.
323 ii. Noah BULL. He married Elder.
324 iii.William BULL.
325 iv.Newton BULL.
326 v. Amos BULL.
327 vi.Elizabeth BULL. She married Jones.
328 vii.Lemuel BULL.
329 viii.Buford BULL.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JO 11 Feb 2002 4:04AM GMT 
Shirleybull29 10 May 2002 8:56PM GMT 
bettywelch58 29 May 2002 5:38AM GMT 
Barbara Petree 4 Jun 2002 8:40PM GMT 
pwest83 28 Oct 2002 1:16AM GMT 
EVANIZ 29 Mar 2003 8:57PM GMT 
Pamela Hernandez 6 May 2003 10:22PM GMT 
shirley2750 6 Nov 2003 5:57PM GMT 
Regina Southard 19 Dec 2003 11:21PM GMT 
willowblu 20 Dec 2003 3:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions