Search for content in message boards

Anson County, NC Burrs, mid 1800s

Replies: 5

Re: Anson County, NC Burrs, mid 1800s

Posted: 3 Jul 2006 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Karen,

I have a handwritten book from a distant relative that has information regarding the Anson County, NC and Chesterfield, SC, Burrs. The author is deceased, but I remember meeting him at a family reunion and he stated that most of his information came from census records and elderly family members.

I did a quick look-up and this is what I found:
Richard Jacob Burr
b: 1809
m: wife unknown
Children: Bogan (b. 1818 & Jacob, Sr.
Author's Notes: This family always lived in the Gulledge & White Store Twp of Anson County, NC. We never did find Richard Jacob Burr's wife's name. The census did not list the wife's name (1830).

Jacob Burr, Sr.
b: 1820
Cemetery: Cason Old Field
m1: Lycler; b. 1835, d. about 1867
(I assume this is mis-interpreted and should be Lydia as I have seen census images and found similar mistakes. You will find more in the following names.)
children: Jeprha (possibly Jeptha), Levely (probably your Lively), Rosa A., George, Jacob Jr. & Elizabeth L. (Gillie).
Author's Note: Jacob Burr, Srs. 1st wife was not burried in New Hope Cemetery. Jacob Burr, Jr. never married - Sandy Plains, no marker. Elizabeth (Gillie) Burr married Henry Hicks Sandy Plains.
My note: Is Sandy Plains a possible reference to a cemetery?
m2: Margaret (Maggie/Mag) Tarlton; b. abt 1849
Cemetery: Cason Old Field, no marker
Chidren: Helon (Cindy), Richard, Sarah (Sal) & Martha (Mot)
Author's Note: We worked more hours on this family of Burr's than any of the others. We talked with one of Cindy's daughters from Alabama. She was 90 years old. Jacob Burr, Sr, & family always lived in the Gulledge & White Store Twps of Anson County, NC. After he died, his second wife moved to SC for a few year in 1916. We feel she died in 1919 or the year before.

Cheryl's final note: There are many speculations as to the progenitor of the Burrs on record in NC. I did receive a message from a self-proclaimed genealogist in Anson County, stating that my line (Lewis & his son, Burwell) extends back through Jacob Burr & Rebecca Hilliard of PA, son of Hudson Burr & Phoebe Lippencott of NJ. I have not contacted him to check his credentials or see if he really does have any documented proof. Many others believe that the oldest Burrs in Anson County (Hannah, Burwell, Jacob George Washington, Richard Jacob, Alexy and Lewis) were siblings. This again has not been proven. If they are all related, they may just as well be cousins. I have found a William Burr in the 1790 census records of Anson County, but he disappears in 1810. If we are to believe that these Burrs are related to Jacob, son of Hudson, then the 1790 William could possibly be his brother.

Cheryl Scott
Minneapolis, MN
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kdutton99 19 May 2006 2:53AM GMT 
cscottie 3 Jul 2006 8:03AM GMT 
kdutton99 3 Jul 2006 2:59PM GMT 
cscottie 6 Jul 2006 3:18PM GMT 
kdutton99 6 Jul 2006 5:38PM GMT 
GailGibson44 10 Dec 2007 3:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions