Search for content in message boards

BUTLER Mystery in GA; (Bryan/Liberty/Tattnall county area)

Replies: 0

BUTLER Mystery in GA; (Bryan/Liberty/Tattnall county area)

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 8:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2011 9:27AM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Shuman, Richardson
I have debated whether or not to post this query, but I am interested in finding out more information about my grandmother's half-brother. I know very little about him, and my father knows little also, but he is the one who told me what he knew. Most of the folks involved have passed away by now, but I am hoping someone might have more information.

This half-brother is the son of my great-grandfather, Horace Ray Butler (b.10 jun 1884, bryan Co., GA - 27 feb 1947, Savannah, Chatham Co., GA). Horace's first wife (as far as I know) was my great-grandmother, Mary Etta Richardson (1888-1959). They were married sometime around 1905-1907, i think, as their first child, Marie, was born in 1907. Their second, RC, born 1909. Both Marie and RC died as babies. Their daughter Lessie was not born until 1914, my grandmother, Evelyn, in 1916, and their son, Clayton, in 1919.

My father recalls being with his grandfather (Horace), and his mother (Evelyn) and his Aunt, Lessie, when he was about five years of age (around 1946 or so? Horace passed away in '47), and stopping at a gas station in Richmond Hill to meet a "young man." Daddy said the man's name was Billy and he was a Butler, and that he was his grandfather's son. At some point during the years, Dad managed to find out that his grandfather Horace had this child with a woman possibly named "Maude" (one family member said perhaps "Sally Maude,") and that she was v. likely a Shuman.

At some point after the death of their first two children, Horace and Mary Etta either divorced or separated. They then ended up together again to have the other three children (including my grandmother). We believe that this half-brother was born sometime in the interim (1910-1913?). (We are also not clear on whether Horace and Maude married or not, but we do believe they may have lived together for a while, based on what dad can remember hearing.)

I would be very interested in finding out more about this man, about Maud, any family he might have (we know nothing about whether he married, had children, etc., or even if he actually used the Butler name, Shuman, or some other name - perhaps Maude later married?), and what happened to him.

I also apologize in advance if this in any way upsets the apple cart; That is not my intention. I think as my father ages, and has little family left, he would like to know more about this "mystery Uncle" and what happened to him.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any information, I would love to hear from you (via the list or personal message).

Anne Johnson

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions