Search for content in message boards

BYRD BYRD - MISSISSIPPI CHEROKEE FAMILY - SARH F BYRD

Replies: 9

BYRD BYRD - MISSISSIPPI CHEROKEE FAMILY - SARH F BYRD

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 10:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BYRD BIRD SHELTON
I found the below post 2004 post on an archived board that might be helpful but cannot respond to it because it is archived and the email posted no longer works , so starting a thread here on the BYRDS-BIRDS from MISSISSIPPI and email address of 2004 message no longer works (I've attached the 2004 post to the bottom of my inquiry as it has some helpful names and in case this person reads this and has additional info collected on BYRD CHEROKEE in MISSISSIPPI).

MY INQUIRY SUMMARY:
Anyway, here's a summary of the BYRD-BIRD from MISSISSIPPI I am looking for:
I, too, have a gg grandfather John Elbert Shelton that married a Sarah F Byrd (think it is Sarah Francis Byrd/Bird) and she was from Mississippi and the family also stated she was full blooded Cherokee. I do not know from what county in Mississippi her family came from nor do we know her parents name, but I do know all census records on John Elbert Shelton in Texas show Sarah was born in Mississippi. Due to the time for which they married and not having an 1890 census available (because she died
before the 1900 census and he was listed as a widow) I am having a very hard time finding out who her parents were in Mississippi.

Sarah Francis Byrd/Bird was born ca 1847-1850 in Mississippi and married my gg grandfather abt 1869 (not sure of state or location) and they had 7 children (all born in Texas - Caldwell county, and Waco McLennan county areas). Sarah was born sometime ca 1847-1850 in unknown city/county Mississippi (to unknown parents) and died sometime between Nov 1885 (when last child was born) and Dec 13 1900 (when the 1900 census was taken) and since =
there is no 1890 census I cannot get the interim info to know whether she was living in 1890 or not, but do know John Elbert Shelton was living as a widow with several of his children still at home in the 1900 census.

John Elbert Shelton died in 1925 and is buried in Lytton Springs, Caldwell, Texas cemetery. His granddaughter Bertie Shelton Boatright told me that she went with her grandpa John Elbert Shelton by horse and buggy when Sarah died to carry her body to be buried with her Cherokee family in Spicewood and that it was a long trip (ca 1899-1900 per her recollections). Bertie is no longer living so I cannot try to get any more info from her and she was a small child at the time anyway and probably "long trip" could mean anything.

Spicewood area of Texas has no known Indian burial grounds and no Cherokee tribes in Spicewood , so it was likely a family cemetery. Spicewood areas did have Indian mounds which are not under water when they built Mansfield Dam, but the clerks offices claims that "mounds" are mostly buried trash and artifacts and not burial grounds anyway. I am not familiar with the Cherokee burials back then, but many tribes did not bury their dead (due to flooding, animals digging, etc) and typically ceremonials were above the ground (not sure about Cherokee). By 1885-1900 timeframe my guess she was buried with her Byrd family descendants in a family cemetery or unrecorded or unmarked (as I have been unable to find location of her burial).

Any information you can share that might help me, please let me know by reply to this message or directly at:
Thanks, Lynda
Austin, Texas

****ARCHIVED MESSAGE 2004 EXCERPT ON BYRD MISSISSIPPI****
I am researching the Byrd family of Mississippi. I have seen several posts on the list regarding Byrds families. My g-grandmother was Nancy "Nannie" Catherine Byrd who married Matthew Franklin "Bud" Maddox. My dad told me all of my life that "Nannie" was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian. Does anyone know anything about this family? Her father was Paul Malcolm Byrd m. (1)Henrietta Shuck Ware (2) Aletha L. Mangum. Would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this family.
>
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LyndaLehmann 15 Sep 2008 4:48PM GMT 
txmssippi 9 Mar 2009 4:32PM GMT 
LyndaLehmann 23 Mar 2009 12:46AM GMT 
LyndaLehmann 23 Mar 2009 12:52AM GMT 
trojaraider73 22 Mar 2009 10:23PM GMT 
varock11 10 Sep 2009 7:06PM GMT 
trojaraider73 10 Sep 2009 8:53PM GMT 
varock11 12 Sep 2009 2:56AM GMT 
trojaraider73 12 Sep 2009 12:05PM GMT 
saparker56 7 Apr 2013 4:56AM GMT