Search for content in message boards

Byrum's of Bertie County, North Carolina

Replies: 1

Byrum's of Bertie County, North Carolina

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 11:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Howdy --

I descend from Mary Ann Elizabeth Byrum (1849-1923) and her husband, Joshua Allen Hawkins (1837-1892). Mary AE [Byrum] Hawkins's people came from Bertie County, NC. They were married in Robertson County, Texas in the late 1860s. His census said he came from Alabama. Where had they met? How'd they wind up in Texas? Maybe the Civil War had something to do with their moving westward.

-- Mary Ann Elizabeth Byrum and Her Family --

Joshua's wife was Mary Ann Elizabeth Byrum. I used to wonder where Joshua met her, hoping that would help me find the origins of both families. I found her parents in North Carolina. I ran into descendants of Mary AE Byrum's brother. They too, were in Robertson County, Texas. Joshua must have met her, and married her in Texas, it seems.

Here is where we first find Mary, Joshua's wife --

1850 census Bertie County, North Carolina, no township given
none, family # 165

Edward Byrum, 24, farmer, NC
Mary Byrum, 37, NC
Starkey Byrum, 2, NC
Mary A. E. Byrum, 5/12, NC <=> [my ancestor]
Job Gregory, 28, comments: idiotic, NC [note: perhaps Edwards wife was a Gregory?, and they were looking after a disabled relative, maybe Mary's brother?]

1850 census Bertie County, North Carolina, no township given
132, 1015

Starky Byrum, 44, farmer, North Carolina
Elizabeth Byrum, 43, North Carolina

1860 census Bertie County, North Carolina

Starky Byrum, 51, farmer, North Carolina
Elizabeth Byrum, 51 o 57, North Carolina

[This elder Starky is probably a close relation, maybe a father or an uncle?]

I have a copy of a a couple of pages of the Byrum family Bible sent to me by a descendant of Starkey, great grandma's brother. The Bible record says --

Edward Byrum was born October the 26th, AD 1825 (Lula Mae's great grandparents)
Mary L. Byrum his wife was born the 10th of January AD 1813.
Starky Edward Byrum their son was born the 28th of December AD 1847.
Mary Ann Elizabeth their daughter was born the 13th of December AD 1849 <=> my ancestor
Mary E. Calvert was born April the 11th the year 1855 (Lula Mae's grandmother)

Catie J. Byrum was born in Robertson County, Texas on the 16th of September AD 187?3?
Laurah Loucinda Byrum was born in Robertson County, Texas, on the 8th of April AD 1875.
James Henry Byrum was bornin Robertson County, Texas, on the 5th of September, AD 1877.
Walter Edward Byrum was born in Robertson County, Texas on the 26th of August, AD 1879 (Lula Mae's daddy).

I was sent a photo of Starky. Dad said he saw his grandma only once, and said that she was a “great big red headed woman.” When I emailed some of the Byrum's (descendants of Starky) they said they didn't know about the red hair. I don't know how accurate Dad's description was. She died in 1923 and he was born in 1915, so he had to have been a small child when he met her.

If you look through early records, our Byrum's were in Bertie County, North Carolina, from early colonial days. But I don't know how to find Edward's father. Maybe it is Starky Sr, but maybe not.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Vance Hawkins

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vancehawkins1... 25 Jul 2010 5:18PM GMT 
gwendowney 21 Aug 2010 3:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic