Search for content in message boards

Michel Cadorette of St Hyacinthe 1853-1929

Replies: 0

Michel Cadorette of St Hyacinthe 1853-1929

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cadorette Simard Sevigny
I am a member of a group of spinning wheel enthusiasts who are interested in a particular kind of wheel made by a particular group of makers in the years from about 1880 to 1930. One of the makers was Michel Cadorette, of St Hyacinthe, son of Maxime Cadoret and Elisabeth Sevigny, born 1853 in Ste Rosalie, died 1929 in St Hyacinthe, married Celina Simard in St Hyacinthe in 1874. He had a shop on Rue des Cascades near the Yamaska river. He and Celina had many children, of whom two (Cleophas and Philias) became wheelmakers after their father. I have shared ancestry with these gentlemen (Philias and Cleophas were third cousins to my great grandmother) so they are in my family tree. Cleophas died in 1910 at the age of 41; Philias married in 1929 to Aurore Guerin and apparently had no children. I own a spinning wheel bearing his mark.

If anyone reading this is, or knows of, living relatives descended from Michel and Celina, I would love to speak to them privately to find out more about these men who made these spinning wheels, or even see photos of them if any exist.

Find a board about a specific topic