Search for content in message boards

Ohio/Iowa 1830 -1855/Eliza/Isaac/Rachel

Replies: 4

Ohio/Iowa 1830 -1855/Eliza/Isaac/Rachel

Posted: 10 Feb 2002 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2003 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Cadwallader, Conaway, Brown, Spurrier, Starkey, Cole
My Rachel Cadwallader was thought to be born in the USA but came from an Irish family. They should have shared in an estate but failed to go to Ireland to take care of it. There is a legend that an early Cadwallader came to the USA under some kind of cloud, but no one I ever talked to seems to know if it was political or what. No one in the family ever seemed to think it was a criminal affair.

Rachel married William Conaway in Henry County, Iowa on 28 Oct 1855, and resided in or near Stiles, Davis, Iowa (apparently they are listed in the 1860 Grove Twp., Davis County, Iowa Census records) but by Nov 20, 1866 Rachel is deceased, leaving at least six children.

Calculating from her tombstone date backwards it appears that Rachel was born in 1832, and according to one census report she was born in Ohio.

I recently found other marriages for Cadwalladers as follows:

Isaac Cadwallader m. Matilda Cole, Lee County, Iowa (Lee Co., borders Henry Co.) Book 2, Marriage Records P 29. by Jos G. Street, J.P. (recorded at Fort Madison) on 14 Feb 1855.

I then found:

Eliza L. Cadwallader m. Cleaver H. Brown 1853, Davis Co. Iowa

Also found two of William Conaway's sisters married to brothers of Cleaver Brown.

Elizabeth E. Conaway m. Elijah Brown, 1853, Davis Co., Iowa
Amanda Conaway m. James P. Brown, 1859 ( Davis Co., Iowa?)

Checking the 1880 Census for Eliza Cadwallader Brown, it shows she was born in Ohio 1837, with both her parents born in Ohio.

I can't help but think I found at least two children of a Cadwallader family in Iowa, related to my Rachel and whose parents were born in Ohio, but I need to find who the parents are. My late aunt thought that Rachel's parents were John Cadwallader and Belinda Spurrier, but I have never found any evidence of that fact. If anyone has any good ideas of how to locate these Cadwalladers in Iowa or Ohio in 1850, please contact me. Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
StephenCarlil... 11 Feb 2002 4:08AM GMT 
TracyLeach51 16 Mar 2002 9:52PM GMT 
StephenCarlil... 7 Apr 2002 9:32PM GMT 
TracyLeach51 8 Apr 2002 6:21AM GMT 
NoraNeighbors 4 Nov 2012 10:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic