Search for content in message boards

Caldwell confusion in the 17th-18th centuries (Hugh, James)

Replies: 5

Caldwell confusion in the 17th-18th centuries (Hugh, James)

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caldwell, Hume
I am trying to disentangle the genealogy of Hugh Caldwell (b. 1718 in Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, d. 1769 in Loudoun, VA), and there is so much contradictory information I am hoping someone can help me. Here's what I've found so far (sorry, there's a lot of detail so it's long):

According to family trees on Ancestry and repeated all over the internet, Hugh (b. 1718) was the son of James (1692-1726), who was the son of James (abt. 1672-1692), who was the son of Sir James, 1st Baronet Caldwell (b. bef. 1634, died 1716).

Also, Catharine Hume can be found in these family trees as the wife of any of the Jameses. Catherine Hume's birthdate is commonly given as 1695 and her parents are usually listed as Alexander Hume and Jean Ker.

BUT--

1. Catharine Hume was not married to James Caldwell (1692-1726), or James Caldwell (1672-1692).
--"The Peerage of Ireland..." and Burke's "A Genealogical History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies..." indicate she married Sir James Caldwell the 1st Baronet and they had children.
--But the Peerage (http://thepeerage.com/p20024.htm#i200232) says she was married to HENRY Caldwell, the 2nd Baronet. Instead, the Peerage says that James 1st Bart. married Catherine CAMPBELL in 1657 and Susanna (LNU) in 1690.
--Although Catharine's and Henry's birth dates are unknown, Catharine was probably born around 1668-1678 (since her mother was born in 1648) but no later than 10 Jan 1685, when her mother died.
--Henry was already Sherriff by 1693, so we can guess he couldn't have been born much after 1660 (probably 1650-1660, given his father's likely birth dates). Thus, Catharine is around the right age to have been married to Henry; if she was married to James 1st Bart., he would have been quite old (like in his 70s or 80s) since she would not have reached adulthood until ca. 1690, although the Peerage does say Sir James got married at this age (to Susanna) so he was obviously still, uh, *active*. I am wondering if there could actually be two Catharine Humes, since the name is not uncommon for the time/area.

2. Catharine Hume's father was not Col. Alexander Hume, who died in Moscow without issue. I cannot find evidence of any Alexander Hume married to a Jean Ker other than in Caldwell family trees, so I am skeptical that these people were ever married. (There is a Jean Ker at the right time, but she was married to her cousin William Drummond Ker.) "The Peerage of Ireland..." and Burke's "A Genealogical History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies..." and the Peerage website all state that Catharine was the daughter of Sir JOHN Hume (2nd Bart.) of Castle Hume and Sidney Hamilton.

3. Sir James Caldwell 1st Baronet did not have any son named James, according to the Peerage or any other independent source I can find. His sons were named Charles, Henry, Hugh, and John. Unfortunately, none of their birth dates are known, but none of them are Hugh (b. 1718). There are no Jameses in this line that could possibly be the father and grandfather of Hugh Caldwell (b. 1718).

In short, I cannot find any independent evidence to link Hugh Caldwell (b. 1718) with Sir James Caldwell (1st Bart.). Could Hugh be descended from a natural son of Sir James, or from a cadet lineage of the Caldwell family? Or does anyone have another source (independent of internet family trees that copy each other) that indicates that Sir James (1st Bart.) had a son James?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
amoyer77 7 Jun 2012 12:29PM GMT 
jorjames123 3 Sep 2013 12:38AM GMT 
amoyer77 3 Sep 2013 2:51AM GMT 
amoyer77 3 Sep 2013 9:18AM GMT 
kerri1400 11 Sep 2013 6:38AM GMT 
nieceypie 23 Aug 2014 10:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic