Search for content in message boards

the origin of the camp name

Replies: 25

Re: the origin of the camp name

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Camp Cobb Campbell Adams Gosdin
I heard that the Camps were Scotts Irish or Scotch Irish- don't know what that means. Campbell is usually Scottish. I do know that the Northern Irish are NOT Catholic as are the Southern Irish. The British always considered the Irish to be an inferior, backward race. Sort of their own red headed step children. That war is still going on.
The large influx of Irish to the U.S. was indeed due to the potato famine. However, there was no drought. All the potatoes rotted where they were stored due to some kind of "black blight" or fungus. Thousands starved to death. Many along the roadsides with green stains around their mouths from eating grass which they hoped would sustain them; or, because they were so hungry they would eat anything.
I am looking for my grandfather Camp; but, I don't know if his first name is Albert, Alfred or something similar. At one time he lived in Fulton MS. He married Sarah Annalaura Cobb.(They called her Sallie). She would have been born in the mid to late 1860's. There were some Choctaw ancestors. She had sisters Ruth and Lena (Rogers)a brother Charlie and others I don't know of. She died in Durant, OK about 1935-6 when she was in her early 70's. Her mother's name last was Campbell, then there was an Adams. I was told that my G G G G ? Great grand mother's Great Uncle was John Quincy Adams. Truth?: I don't know. This is all from my G mother's side. I know little of G father's family. Mr Camp and Sallie lived on and worked a family farm in Northern MS. My mother (Lena Gosdin) who was named Ruth Helena Mae Camp for two of grand mother's sisters and for the capital of the new State of Montana, was born at Tupelo, MS in 1896. The family later moved West to OK when it was still Choctaw Nation Indian Territory for his job as a Section Gang foreman for the railroad (KATY?) He also lived and worked in N. TX. At least one child was born in Pottsboro, TX. They moved often to maintain the railroads. Their last home was Durant, OK. Mr. Camp died there in his forties of a sun stroke while working outside with the section gang. He was a Mason. The fraternal order not a trade.
Pat Kelley -Patsy Gosdin - pat110@tx.rr.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
corinnewheele... 18 Jun 2013 12:42PM GMT 
burches1 9 Jul 2013 3:26PM GMT 
mickdavy 14 Apr 2013 8:25AM GMT 
pat220166 12 Nov 2011 11:27PM GMT 
carolyn2101 27 Jun 2013 10:02PM GMT 
Ziarko 31 Jan 2014 12:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions