Search for content in message boards

Canadys from Alabama

Replies: 9

Re: Canadys from Alabama

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 11:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Barbara,

It was really exciting to see your message this morning. I had forgotten that I had posted this on Ancestry until I saw your email. Thanks so much for your reply.

I've got a lot of happy memories associated with Huttig and the surrounding area. I grew up in San Diego, CA, but my parents and I used to spend several weeks every Summer with my Mom's family near Huttig and Lapile, and my Dad's family near Columbia, LA. The last couple times that I visited Huttig I was sad to see that my grandmother's Sally Mae Canady's house and store were no longer there. Unfortunately I don't really have any memories of my grandfather Grady Dewitt Canady. He passed away when I was less than two years old. I definitely remember Mom talking about her uncle S.O. and aunt Pearl.

When it comes to the Canady family tree, I've pretty much run into a dead end at past Jesse Canady (born 1850 in South Carolina, father of John Samuel Canady). I have Jesse Canady's wife's name listed as Nancy (last name unknown). I did meet through the internet a relative of your grandmother (Margarett Harrison born 1872 in Sandy Bend AR). She was a Varnell. I have more info on that side if you need it. I would love to compare information about your Dad's mother's side to see if I'm on the right track.

I ran across a nice book a few months ago called "Family Maps of Union County, Arkansas". It's really just a book of maps of showing family land grants that were issued in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In map group 24, it shows that 3 land grants were issued to John S. Canady in Union County on 10/12/1900 and on page 276 it shows their location.

My aunt (your cousin) Ann Lacy also mentioned that John Samuel had a brother named Frank. The 1860 census does show Jesse Canady with sons John S. and Franklin (among others). Aunt lacy was my best source of information on the Canady family before she passed away. I wish that I had been doing genealogy while my Mom was living, but unfortunately I didn't get much information from her while she was living.

I would love to compare notes with you some time and learn more about the Canady family! Please feel free to contact me any time at sstephenson61@cox.net or on my cell phone at (619) 647-0073. By the way, I believe that I have some old family photos that have lots of our relatives in them. I would be happy to scan them and send them to you if you send me your email address. Thanks again!

Steve
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pennysuecanad... 11 Jun 2010 3:12AM GMT 
murmurgage 25 Jun 2010 5:09AM GMT 
murmurgage 25 Jun 2010 5:10AM GMT 
sstephenson19... 28 Dec 2010 1:21AM GMT 
murmurgage 2 Jan 2011 12:13AM GMT 
barbaradrummo... 19 Nov 2012 3:48PM GMT 
sstephenson19... 19 Nov 2012 6:35PM GMT 
joannwiles1 12 Jan 2011 12:02AM GMT 
pennysuecanad... 29 Jan 2011 4:58AM GMT 
pattebrown 21 Feb 2011 9:43PM GMT