Search for content in message boards

Rusk County, TX. Capps

Replies: 17

Re: Rusk County, TX. Capps

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 11:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
There are two different men named William Ranson Capps (or possibly Ransom William Capps), who lived about the same time in similar areas. I have tried many times to link our Ransom Capps with yours, but I have not been able to establish any link. Although I believe them to be related, a connection is not yet apparent. Perhaps some DNA studies would shed light on it, but we can not locate a male offspring of our Ransom Capps.

My GGGrandfather, Ransom Capps, was born in South Carolina about 1819. He migrated to Cleveland County AR, and first appears there on the 1850 census, at age 31. He, and his wife, Mary Lane Capps, bought land in AR in 1855. I suspect his migration from South Carolina to Arkansas followed the usual migratory path with other family members, and that it includes stops in Alabama and possibly Mississippi before arriving in South Arkansas. Ransom's sister, Martha A Capps, married John Wright in Alabama in 1843. Ransom Capps lives with them in the 1850 Cleveland County, AR census.

Our Ransom Capps married Mary Lane in Arkansas, and they had three children, James, Charles, and Cora. He later married Sarah Catherine Stewart Cliborne, and they had two children, John W and Mildred Alice. Mildred Alice Capps is my great grandmother.

We can find no record of Ransom and Sarah Capps after the civil war. Their young children were living in the homes of Hobson relatives in the 1870 census. We believe our Ransom Capps and his wife, Sarah, died in AR during the civil war of shortly thereafter. Their son, John W, migrated to east Texas with relatives. He had one son, Everette. If we could find a male offspring of our Everette Capps in Texas, maybe a DNA sample would shed light on the mystery.

If you have information on your William Ransom Capps line that might shed some light on the background of our Ransom Capps, who was born in South Carolina about 1819, I would love to share information with you. This is one of our brick walls.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bernita_Morga... 28 Dec 2012 7:49AM GMT 
SWLibrarian 29 Dec 2012 2:16PM GMT 
Bernita_Morga... 29 Dec 2012 6:01PM GMT 
SWLibrarian 29 Dec 2012 10:33PM GMT 
SWLibrarian 30 Dec 2012 1:12PM GMT 
Bernita_Morga... 30 Dec 2012 5:49PM GMT 
PeggyAllen193... 24 Sep 2013 2:06PM GMT 
Susan J. Varvil 6 May 2005 9:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic