Search for content in message boards

Carrolls of Cork

Replies: 51

Re: Carrolls of Cork

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 12:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't know if this will help you all, but I only have one James Carroll listed in the extended family structure relating to Charles Carroll of Carrollton. If we go back to his grandfather Charles Carroll "the settler" and Attorney General, he was born 1660 in Ireland and had an older brother, Anthony born in County Tipperary who died in 1724. (Their father was Daniel Carroll)

Anthony had 4 boys, Daniel, Michael, James born in Tipperary County and died in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, the fourth son was Charles. James would have been the nephew of Charles "the settler" and the first cousin once removed of Charles of Carrollton.

The Only Notes I have for him are as follows:

James was a Captain in Lord Dongan's Regiment of Dragoons, at the Boyne, from descend Carroll's of Dublin and New York.

James Carroll, a relative of Dr. Charles Carroll of Annapolis and Charles Carroll the Attorney General/Settler. From one of James Carroll's brothers, it seems probable, the Carrolls of Somerset County descended, a grandson of James Carroll of Somerset becoming Governor of Maryland in 1830. (taken from "Life and Correspondence of Charles Carroll of Carrollton" by Kate Mason Rowland, 1898. This connection has not been researched and does not appear here. Sorry there's another line for someone to work.

There is some confusion as to whether this James is the same James Carroll of Anne Arundel, Maryland apparently from Tipperary County, Ireland who made his will in 1728. He was undoubtedly a relative of Charles Carroll, brother of Anthony of Lisheenboy. James of Anne Arundel mentions in his will two brothers, Daniel & Michael, he does not mention any brother Charles. But Charles, son of Anthony of Lisheenboy, died in 1724, therefore, would not be mentioned in his brothers will. In his will, James makes Anthony Carroll, only son of his brother Daniel, his heir-in-law, and apparently was himself unmarried and childless. LOOKS RIGHT TO ME, just be aware there was some question.

Marc Carroll
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sandboxhoward... 1 Feb 2012 9:51PM GMT 
Marc Carroll 2 Feb 2012 7:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic