Search for content in message boards

Joseph Carroll, Sr. /Lady Jennet Swance

Replies: 26

Re: Joseph Carroll, Sr. /Lady Jennet Swance

Judi (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2001 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Joy, all of my original info came from my great half-uncle Robert Black of Clover, South Carolina. I have a copy of Lady Jennet Swance's will (she died 10 years after her husband, Joseph Carroll, Sr.) and this is the information that Robert verified through church and county records in Scotland and Ireland over 15 years ago! It seems that Joseph was a Royal Scottish borderguard and somehow managed to meet and fall in love with a lord's (or laird's ) daughter, Lady Jennet Swance. Needless to say, she was already pregnant when her dad found out and they were allowed to be married, but left soon after for the New World with her dowry in hand ( the dowry is mentioned in Joseph's will - I have that, too.) They did not actually leave until quite a few years later, but her family was off his back. He eventually took the land that was granted to his father, John , by William of Orange for John's courageous service ( this land lying in SC in the colonies) and had three more children with Jennet (an old form of the name Jennie) whom he lovingly called Jane til the day he died. I am thinking that the name confusion might have come from Joseph Elias Carroll, Jr's marriage to a Martha (Margaret) Swansea (pronounced Swansey). If you know my great half- uncle Robert Black out of Clover, SC, he would be glad to answer any ???? you might have. Hope this is some verification for you. Judi O.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Judi Oldridge 20 Sep 2001 4:22AM GMT 
Joy King 21 Sep 2001 12:45AM GMT 
Judi 21 Sep 2001 8:01PM GMT 
Joy King 22 Sep 2001 12:16AM GMT 
Judi 24 Sep 2001 5:57AM GMT 
Joy King 26 Sep 2001 12:12AM GMT 
Judi 29 Sep 2001 5:01AM GMT 
Pati Carlton 2 Oct 2001 3:56AM GMT 
Judi 3 Oct 2001 6:16AM GMT 
MaxCarrollJr 3 Oct 2001 12:31PM GMT 
per page