Search for content in message boards

Mystery of John Carroll´s wife and mother..

Replies: 13

Mystery of John Carroll´s wife and mother..

Posted: 24 May 2002 3:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
John Carroll, son of Hugh and Anna Carroll m. either Susan Ward or Susan Carroll in the early 1850´s in Indian Territory.

Dr. Emmett Starr in his History of the Cherokeee Indians says John´s wife was Susan Carroll, the daughter of a Stephen Carroll and Nannie Ward.

GoodSpeed, History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889 says: Hon. John Carroll was reared on the frontier, and received his education by his own personal efforts, mostly among the Cherokee Indians. When his father removed to Missouri he (John) remained in the Indian Territory, and was married in the Cherokee Nation to Susan Ward, a quadroon. She died in 1856, leaving two children; Hugh, who was accidentally killed in 1885, at Vinita, where he resided, and Fincher, who now resides at Huntsville, Ark.
GoodSpeed said Susan "Ward" died and John m. Hulda Holcomb whereas a Dr. Emmett Starr says in his book, History of the Cherokee, that John m. Susan Carroll and mentions no second wife, which he obviously has according to census records. At least GoodSpeed seems to have the second wife listed correctly.

Starr says nothing about Susie dying, but something surely happened to her as John shows up on later census records with their two children and a new wife named Hulda (Holcomb) and 2 new children supposedly with Hulda.

This is not my family, and I have no bias either way? This has nothing to do with NA roots, nor my Shelton line other than John Carroll´s mother might possibly have been a Shelton. The only reason I am researching Carroll is to try to find out the maiden name of Hugh Carroll´s wife, Anna. In researching for Anna, I have accumulated quite a lot of Carroll info but no actual proof of John´s mother or wife.

Having said that, I would like to identify John´s wife correctly. I am mainly trying to reconcile the different accounts from Starr and GoodSpeed with the fact that John Carroll is shown on the 1860 census with Children Hugh and John Fincher and a "new" wife named Hulda and two children supposedly with Hulda. He shows up on later census records still with Hulda and has additional children. This would imply that either he divorced, or Susan left or possibly died.

I have no idea which is correct. I have ordered Starr´s books , but it will take some time to get them and see what more I can uncover.

I would like to know if any Carroll researcher can verify Johns wife and also am very interested in verifying the name of John´s mother. I am aware of all the book info, but want something more substantial.

Duane Mills
Stavanger, Norway
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
damnorway 24 May 2002 9:56AM GMT 
Carroll Patterson 28 May 2002 1:55PM GMT 
Katy 28 May 2002 2:26PM GMT 
Loren Carroll Clayton 29 May 2002 12:51AM GMT 
duane 29 May 2002 4:35AM GMT 
duane mills 28 May 2002 3:01PM GMT 
tmuenks 28 May 2003 3:42AM GMT 
Duane Mills 28 May 2003 4:14AM GMT 
drea92268 28 Feb 2013 7:10PM GMT 
Valerie Hill 30 Jul 2002 6:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions