Search for content in message boards

James Garfield Carroll

Replies: 18

Re: James Garfield Carroll

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carroll
Dear Carroll Family researcher,

My father's name was James Garfield Carroll. He passed away in 1998 at age 90. His father was William M. Carroll. William also had a brother Garfield.
For a year or so I have been attempting to locate more information on my Grandfather William (called "Sherdy") who was born in 1876. The Sherdy or Sherod could have been a nickname because later official records (except one census record of 1900 with the name Sherod) list him as William M. Carroll. He was raised in Campbell County, TN. William's parents were James Carroll and Elizabeth "Polly" (Morgan) Carroll. Supposedly, William's grandparents (James' parents) were W.H. Carroll and DORA (PERKINS) Carroll; William's maternal grandparents were J.F. Morgan and Sarah (Smith) Morgan. From family I learned that some of the kin lived in the Duff community of Campbell County. Also, from family I learned that supposedly, Grandfather William had brothers Tom, Joe and Garfield.

The more recent knowledge of Grandfather William is that he was employed by the L&N Railroad in Corbin, KY, beginning his job in 1900. He lived both in Knox and Whitley County, KY (both with Corbin addresses). He was married to Nannie Rains (in 1901) (her father, Squire Rains; mother, Millie Carr) of Whitley County (near Williamsburg) and they had 9 children. Grandfather William died in 1939.

So far, after searching thousands of records in Campbell County and surrounding counties, I have found no census records, marriage record or any records with James Carroll and Elizabeth (Morgan) Carroll with their family. Since my Grandfather William was born in 1876, I would think his parents were born in the time frame of 1834-1858, probably near the early 1850s, if he was one of their older children. I have found literally tens of William Carrolls and James Carrolls in Campbell County, TN but none meeting the correct criteria..

Of course, with so many William and James Carrolls on TN files and not knowing complete names of my Carroll ancestors, it is complicated. I would love to learn the ancestors of my grandfather so if you possibly have knowledge of his family, I would be appreciative of any information you can share with me.

Brenda Jody
crjody@newwavecomm.net

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LynCordell 28 Jul 2002 9:31PM GMT 
bjjody 14 Nov 2007 2:46AM GMT 
RachelClark92... 2 Feb 2013 1:16AM GMT 
bjjody 18 Feb 2013 11:26PM GMT 
bjjody 3 Mar 2013 7:05PM GMT 
RachelClark92... 4 Mar 2013 3:33AM GMT 
bjjody 4 Mar 2013 1:30PM GMT 
RachelClark92... 4 Mar 2013 3:47PM GMT 
bjjody 4 Mar 2013 5:43PM GMT 
RachelClark92... 5 Mar 2013 3:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions