Search for content in message boards

ATTN: "Fran/ nanincincy@aol.com" (CARROLL's in New Albany)

Replies: 6

Re: ATTN: "Fran/ nanincincy@aol.com" (CARROLL's in New Albany)

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 8:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
You are off to a good start. Found your tree and the pics –I always enjoy seeing old pics.

Patrick was my paternal grandmother's brother making him my GreatUncle. His parents were William and Anna (Minton) Carroll. That’s the furthest back that I have been able to go. They are both brick walls for me.

This is what I have. William Carroll, born abt. 1842, Co. Tipperary, Ireland., died 20/21 Jan, 1889, Cannelton, Perry Co., IN. His tombstone is inscribed 1843-1888, but clearly the death year is incorrect, so the birth year may also be incorrect.

I’m not sure of the exact birthdate but I used these sources to estimate:

1837 - Obituary states age 52 (in 1889):
William Carroll, aged 52, was buried from St. Patrick's Church on Wednesday last. He leaves a wife and three children. (Cannelton Enquirer, published 1/26/1889)

1842 - St. Patrick's Catholic Church Death Records, age 47:
St Michael.St Patrick Perry Co. Parish Cannelton IN
Death 1866 1916
Catholic Center Indianapolis

?Enlielmus Carrol
Die 21 Jannarú obút in Domino Inlielmus Carrol anno 47 aetatis enae quem sepetas die 23 ef???dem
Joannes Enl Book

Loosely translated: On the 21st of January A.D. died William Carroll, 47 years, was buried the 23rd day -?-
Joannes Enl Book

1843 – Tombstone,
1846 - Death record, age 43:
Date recorded: Jan 21, 1889
Name: Will Carrol
Male
White
Date of Death: 1/20/1889
Married
Nationality: Irish
Duration of Illness: 6 days
Place of Death: Cannelton
Cause: Pneumonia
Name of father: ---------
Name of mother: --------
Perry Co., IN Death Records,Book CH2, Pg 7,Entry#69

I have not been able to find any information about his arrival in the U.S. Given the uncertain birthdate and the very common name of William Carroll, it's going to be hard to nail down. The hope of finding any paperwork or letters that might have family information is very slim. I think that my Aunt Georgia would have been the one most likely to have been the keeper of such things and she died in 1983. She had two sons and I am quite sure they would not have been interested in keeping something like that.

Anna A. Minton, born 10 Mar,1853,Hardin/Grayson Co., KY, died 13 May, 1941, Evansville, Vanderburgh Co., IN (at the home of her daughter, Anna (Carroll) Gibbs; Vanderburgh Co. Health Dept, DC #05391, no parent info). Buried in St. Michael's Cemetery, Cannelton, Perry Co. IN. Cause of death was bronco pneumonia. I have no information about her parents and/or any siblings.

I have not found a marriage record for William & Anna (Minton) Carroll. I believe they may have been married around 1873/1874 based on a birth record found in St. Clare Church Records (Hardin Co. KY) for James Dionisius Carroll, b. 27 Oct. 1874, christened 6 Dec 1874, s/o William Carroll and Anna Jane Menton; however, this is only speculation.

Besides James Dionisius (if he was indeed theirs), their next two children were Maggie (Mary Margaret), b. 1876 in KY, and Joe (Joseph W.), b. 1878 in KY. I have searched very hard to find this family in an 1880 Census, but have not found them.

I have Patrick's birthdate as 25 Sep, 1890. I'm not sure where I found that but if it's correct, it does raise a question about whether William was his biological father, since William died in Jan. 1889. Patrick would have needed to be born no later than Sep. 1889 to have been fathered by William. I have no information from oral family history that answers the question, nor have I heard it discussed in any way, and there is no one still living that I am aware of that might know. If you can locate Patrick's death certificate, that might shed some light. I have his death as 23 Sep 1963, 242 Green St., New Albany, IN. I do know that my dad was fond of his Uncle Pat since he named his first child (my oldest brother) after him.

I hope I haven't given you too much for starters. If you have any questions, please ask. If my data doesn't match
yours, let me know so I can fix it.

Jane
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jgwheat10 26 Jun 2006 3:25AM GMT 
jodilc0278 26 Jun 2013 3:11AM GMT 
jgwheat10 27 Jun 2013 12:43AM GMT 
jodilc0278 18 Jul 2013 2:54AM GMT 
Jane Gibbs Wh... 18 Jul 2013 2:24PM GMT 
jodilc0278 18 Jul 2013 5:36PM GMT 
jgwheat10 22 Jul 2013 4:03AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic