Search for content in message boards

Carroll Family from Clougher, County Tyrone, Ireland

Replies: 6

Re: Carroll Family from Clougher, County Tyrone, Ireland

Posted: 23 Feb 2014 5:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carroll, MacCarroll, McCarroll, Hagney, Callenan
I have info on a Joseph McCarroll born in Clogher 1856. No middle name is listed on the certificate. We have a baptism record from the Catholic Church in Clogher. His parents were Patrick McCarroll and Anna Callenan. A couple sponsoring the baptism had the last name of Hagney. Joseph came to the US as a young man (not sure of year). He had two sons (and perhaps a daughter). His sons were John Joseph and Joseph (don't know middle name). The sons changed the last name from McCarroll to just Carroll because people were not hiring Irish. Joseph's military papers said his last name had been MacCarroll (we assume because Mac suggested Scottish instead of Irish, which was not as low class). John Joseph Carroll had three children in St. Louis. John Joseph (my grandfather), Clara (still living), and Tom. John Joseph had three sons. John Anthony (my father), Patrick and Michael. If our people had such similar names and were born in the same town so close, perhaps they were related. Have you tried to get any information from the church in Clogher? No clergy was listed on our certificate, that line was blank. We do have a picture of him, as an old man.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MtnSquid 5 Jan 2008 5:33PM GMT 
Miles_Arlene 3 Feb 2008 5:47AM GMT 
MtnSquid 3 Feb 2008 6:28PM GMT 
Miles_Arlene 4 Feb 2008 3:24AM GMT 
judySindon10 4 Feb 2008 5:31AM GMT 
JudithWaters3... 21 Feb 2008 5:27PM GMT 
Erin VanDyke 24 Feb 2014 12:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions